Frontier is the WORST at helping to create minor factions.

I’ve had the absolute worst experience with this. I’m going on 7 (yes, SEVEN) attempts. Each time they tell me only a FRACTION of what they want changed, then I change it, they don’t like THEIR OWN SUGGESTION, and I have to change it again! I even got to the point where one time it was approved, but the systems were taken, (with checkmarks STILL on them in the application screen). After one refusal, they told me the systems are only checked once they hit “accept faction”... which means my description and everything WERE ok... and then they retroactively wanted me to change it AGAIN!

I have even EMAILED them about this very issue, as well as a request to get a more comprehensive way to check system availability... of which THEY DIDN’T EVEN REPLY!

The last time I submitted for a faction, it just says “rejected”, with a description of how it tells you that it doesn’t check the system availability until you accept it. Thanks. Thanks for the AMAZING help you’ve offered.
I’ve never been so disheartened, or disgusted by the sheer lack of direction of what they want, which isn’t even consistent between people.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a mystery. Fusang Heavy Engineering had exactly the same trouble when they tried to apply.
Would you mind posting the text of your submission here? We might be able to identify the problem - I don't think the applicants are ever told specifically.

I’ve added a screenshot of the (newest) submission, (minus the intended systems so they don’t get stolen on me).

so far, I’ve had to change the government type, the overall description of what we do (we love trade, but they didn’t feel our name reflected that), show how we got the name (new) and difference between squad and faction (new), as well as the time the systems were all unavailable to me.

I LITERALLY don’t care even one SMIDGEON about the description. I just want the name “Solar Storm Knights” on a faction. That’s it. That’s all. Why is this an IMPOSSIBLE task!?

Attachments

• D01ED97D-5562-454C-900D-578D527F46F2.png
    D01ED97D-5562-454C-900D-578D527F46F2.png
    791 KB · Views: 209
Did they reject you based on faction description or system availability? It sounds to me like the systems you are choosing aren't available. You're description is probably fine.

We had to go through this recently and here is my advice. Choose systems with 6 or less factions present and also in an area that doesn't appear contested. I think you will have better luck.

We also had issues with our description but we found Frontier to be quite helpful and friendly and helping us to correct the description.

Good luck cmdr

Did they reject you based on faction description or system availability? It sounds to me like the systems you are choosing aren't available. You're description is probably fine.

We had to go through this recently and here is my advice. Choose systems with 6 or less factions present and also in an area that doesn't appear contested. I think you will have better luck.

We also had issues with our description but we found Frontier to be quite helpful and friendly and helping us to correct the description.

Good luck cmdr
It changes every time. Only one time they said systems aren’t available... at about try #4 (currently on 8)... now they want an etymology of how we got our name... but every individual word of it... I feel like they’re just ing with me because they can.

I honestly don’t believe you that they were helpful in the least. I’m using the application system to tell me which systems are available (because of the check mark)... I ONLY use those ones to apply because they SHOULD be available.

It changes every time. Only one time they said systems aren’t available... at about try #4 (currently on 8)... now they want an etymology of how we got our name... but every individual word of it... I feel like they’re just ing with me because they can.

I honestly don’t believe you that they were helpful in the least. I’m using the application system to tell me which systems are available (because of the check mark)... I ONLY use those ones to apply because they SHOULD be available.
We also had our application rejected around 7-8 times. We had to adjust our description to their requirements too. Once we got that done to their satisfaction, our favorite system wasn't available even though it was available in the chooser and we really had our hearts set on that system. It's my understanding that fdev doesn't actually place factions, that the BGS engine does. So a system might technically be available according to the BGS and it's rules, and so it will show as available in the chooser, but it may only be available however based on certain criteria that perhaps your faction criteria options don't quite meet. I visited the system we really wanted recently and sure enough, a nearby faction invaded it shortly after and probably why it really wasn't available to us.

I think you're taking their rejection too literal. I don't think they want the origin of each word, they want the origin of the group in the description to help with lore.

If they want a better description, well then work on giving them what they need and resubmit. It's not the end of the world and complaining about it here and calling fdev unhelpful isn't going to help anything. Maybe try something like, "A group of masterful traders, miners, and bounty hunters known as the Solar Storm Knights have accumulated..." is an example of an origin of the name of a group and helps with background lore. The phrase, "The Solar Storm knights (not capitalized by the way, may want to fix that) derive their name..." is not a great example of background origination and lore. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I’ve had the absolute worst experience with this. I’m going on 7 (yes, SEVEN) attempts. Each time they tell me only a FRACTION of what they want changed, then I change it, they don’t like THEIR OWN SUGGESTION, and I have to change it again! I even got to the point where one time it was approved, but the systems were taken, (with checkmarks STILL on them in the application screen). After one refusal, they told me the systems are only checked once they hit “accept faction”... which means my description and everything WERE ok... and then they retroactively wanted me to change it AGAIN!

I have even EMAILED them about this very issue, as well as a request to get a more comprehensive way to check system availability... of which THEY DIDN’T EVEN REPLY!

The last time I submitted for a faction, it just says “rejected”, with a description of how it tells you that it doesn’t check the system availability until you accept it. Thanks. Thanks for the AMAZING help you’ve offered.
I’ve never been so disheartened, or disgusted by the sheer lack of direction of what they want, which isn’t even consistent between people.
Frontier are worst at everything

We also had our application rejected around 7-8 times. We had to adjust our description to their requirements too. Once we got that done to their satisfaction, our favorite system wasn't available even though it was available in the chooser and we really had our hearts set on that system. It's my understanding that fdev doesn't actually place factions, that the BGS engine does. So a system might technically be available according to the BGS and it's rules, and so it will show as available in the chooser, but it may only be available however based on certain criteria that perhaps your faction criteria options don't quite meet. I visited the system we really wanted recently and sure enough, a nearby faction invaded it shortly after and probably why it really wasn't available to us.

I think you're taking their rejection too literal. I don't think they want the origin of each word, they want the origin of the group in the description to help with lore.

If they want a better description, well then work on giving them what they need and resubmit. It's not the end of the world and complaining about it here and calling fdev unhelpful isn't going to help anything. Maybe try something like, "A group of masterful traders, miners, and bounty hunters known as the Solar Storm Knights have accumulated..." is an example of an origin of the name of a group and helps with background lore. The phrase, "The Solar Storm knights (not capitalized by the way, may want to fix that) derive their name..." is not a great example of background origination and lore. I hope this helps.
I actually had a COMPLETELY different description initially, but they didn’t like how “knights” doesn’t imply trading, and therefore must be hostile. THEN they didn’t like how we wanted corporate, because they didn’t see how our name could have a corporate modelled faction.
They LITERALLY asked for a description of each term. They said, in a later submission, “you’ve given some description of knights, but none on solar Storm”

Are you KIDDING ME!? There’s a finite amount of space! The thing that I’m taking personally is that they HAD to accept it to tell me that the systems weren’t available... and THEN changed their minds about the description. I AM making the changes that THEY ask for, and the screen shotted version is the product OF that.

like I said, one rejection had ZERO help, and just the description that they can only check availability after they accept it.

At this point, the ONLY piece of helpful information I’ve received was to “write it from the perspective of a historian” on this very thread.

edit: take note of the initial submission date. This has been over a 3 month ORDEAL.

Last edited:
To a certain degree I see where FDev is coming from with what you have said, they are definitively not helpful.
If the name is all you really care to get in then have you leaned into that? Changed the government type to Feudal, interested in combat etc with some nonsense in the puff piece like
"A cabal of commanders, unified by the love of history, seek to bring peace through skilled arms like the knights of old Earth. So fearsome were they in their assaults on the lawless that they were said to sweep through like a system like a storm. Thus the Solar Storm Knights were formed and now offer all to join them in the quest to bring peace through Arms and Honor. "

Or some nonsense like that? Also might be wise to fly around the live game and see which systems you like that don't have many factions in them just incase(FDev's awareness of 'current' issues has always been suspect.)
Still feels like pulling teeth with FDev's approval system, I wish you the best!

Moon dog

Banned
I’ve added a screenshot of the (newest) submission, (minus the intended systems so they don’t get stolen on me).

so far, I’ve had to change the government type, the overall description of what we do (we love trade, but they didn’t feel our name reflected that), show how we got the name (new) and difference between squad and faction (new), as well as the time the systems were all unavailable to me.

I LITERALLY don’t care even one SMIDGEON about the description. I just want the name “Solar Storm Knights” on a faction. That’s it. That’s all. Why is this an IMPOSSIBLE task!?
At least u have friends to make a minor faction

There’s honestly very little in the way of information beyond them being Gary Stus tbh.

Try this...

The Solar Storm Knights were a band of freelancers pilots that made a fortune in bounty hunting and trading. Looking to expand their enterprise and secure a long term legacy they became more involved in system politics, using their skills and fortune to provide jobs and security. The Solar Storm Knights seek victory above all else but will accommodate ethics when convenient.

Update: I’m now on my TENTH submission... the 9th, they said “your chosen systems are not available. Choose 3 more and resubmit”... so I did... AND THEN they told me they no longer like my description... AGAIN!!! Why is it approved sometimes and not others!?!? How do I deal with the ONE person that has already approved it TWICE, and not the other guy!? I can’t believe how absolutely awful this entire experience has been!

I’ve taken help and criticisms from these posts, and was SO happy that it was FINALLY approved... and now I’m BACK to this!?!?! WHY? WHY!?!?! Does anyone know of an ACTUAL way to contact Frontier? That would be infinitely more helpful. This process just makes me want to uninstall and just not even get odyssey... omG, Frontier!

Update: I’m now on my TENTH submission... the 9th, they said “your chosen systems are not available. Choose 3 more and resubmit”... so I did... AND THEN they told me they no longer like my description... AGAIN!!! Why is it approved sometimes and not others!?!? How do I deal with the ONE person that has already approved it TWICE, and not the other guy!? I can’t believe how absolutely awful this entire experience has been!

I’ve taken help and criticisms from these posts, and was SO happy that it was FINALLY approved... and now I’m BACK to this!?!?! WHY? WHY!?!?! Does anyone know of an ACTUAL way to contact Frontier? That would be infinitely more helpful. This process just makes me want to uninstall and just not even get odyssey... omG, Frontier!
Thats frontier, inconsistent and completely incompetent.

I don't work for Frontier and this is just my opinion, but I think you'll need to rewrite it from the standpoint of a historian describing a faction. It does read a little like a recruitment advert.
Honestly, I am so tired of these "our faction is the bestest at everything. We are cool and awesome and kill super hard!" descriptions. Every time I run into something like that I am likely to mess around with their BGS on general principle.

Top Bottom