Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
Hey, i only just upgraded to 16Gb this year. Not everyone can always afford to remain up to date with hardware.

Its fair enough to take the mickey out of people who spend megabucks on a computer to play a game that doesn't exist and later turns out its not good enough to play that game. I don't think its fair enough to take the mickey out of people who don't have the money to upgrade.

Its like in the EDO performance thread, where you have people with top end nvidia cards saying performance is ok for them and the problem is other people's computers, they should upgrade.
True, they should upgrade (the people saying it is my computer, they should upgrade (my computer))

check out the new stealth tech on the stations! at least tier 1 stealth!

That vid needs a NSFW warning, both for the person watching with the volume up and for the poor NPCs who suddenly have a ship appear inside the station, Health & Safety would have something to say about that :)

and im not always out griefing!

I like the ED cockpit view tribute in the top left and 'Shields - Guardian' as well!

What's going on SC? EDO has first person space stuff in beta, a tiny percentage of SC budget and will actually release a space game with more of the promised features of SC than it has managed to put out in the 10 years it's been in development.

What's up? Need more money?

CR has been strangely quiet these days. He can't be on another yacht vacation while stuck "working" from home. Is there yet another game they've been working on the past year but told no one about? Perhaps an accompanying movie to SQ42 with really high production values he's directing?

Its easy......ED is shallow and boring so whatever you think they make and do better is irrelevant because when SC comes out it ll be the BDSSE regardless of its current status, trajectory and progress rate. Oh and SC is giving people the bestest fun of their life so theres that too.

Other than graphics card and SSD, some 2014 hardware still quite performant. My CPU, motherboard, ram and everything else date from 2013-14 and are in the same ballpark as today's (32GB, 6-core 4.4Ghz Intel 49xx).
My last CPU/MB change was mid 2015 ... Had a couple of GPU's since then, but not much else. I was going to try and change this year, but I will now wait until AMDs new Chip/Socket next year.

My machine seems to run the Free-Fly as well as can be expected, when I manage to get out of those elevators!!

What's going on SC? EDO has first person space stuff in beta, a tiny percentage of SC budget and will actually release a space game with more of the promised features of SC than it has managed to put out in the 10 years it's been in development.

Flicks through excuses cards....its Alpha...CR is building the game of his dreams...its fun...BDSSE...ah here we are, CIG needed to build a company first unlike Frontier who had a company already so Yah Boo to you! :)...

...and nobody mention Frontier only exists at all because DB built and released the best darn space game ever years ahead of its time and then used that money to build a company and build and release more successful games on different platforms with different tech or that CR did similar with his first game, got sacked from his 2nd game and then built his own company for his 3rd game but then sold his company after failing to release said 3rd game due to total mis-management and feature creep and running out of money and effectively bankrupting his own company

CR has been strangely quiet these days. He can't be on another yacht vacation while stuck "working" from home. Is there yet another game they've been working on the past year but told no one about? Perhaps an accompanying movie to SQ42 with really high production values he's directing?
Roberts comes out of hiding maybe once a year to drop some new dreams on spectrum, and bask in the adoration of his fans. It's probably a part of the Calders deal, doing the minimum possible to convince people he's still involved in the project.

Flicks through excuses cards....its Alpha...CR is building the game of his dreams...its fun...BDSSE...ah here we are, CIG needed to build a company first unlike Frontier who had a company already so Yah Boo to you! :)...

...and nobody mention Frontier only exists at all because DB built and released the best darn space game ever years ahead of its time and then used that money to build a company and build and release more successful games on different platforms with different tech or that CR did similar with his first game, got sacked from his 2nd game and then built his own company for his 3rd game but then sold his company after failing to release said 3rd game due to total mis-management and feature creep and running out of money and effectively bankrupting his own company

Sssshhhh... you don't mention history to the faithful, it might startle them into buying more ships.

Roberts comes out of hiding maybe once a year to drop some new dreams on spectrum, and bask in the adoration of his fans. It's probably a part of the Calders deal, doing the minimum possible to convince people he's still involved in the project.
If CR has already become only minimally involved, why the endeavor still move at a snail pace like he's still micromanaging everything?

If CR has already become only minimally involved, why the endeavor still move at a snail pace like he's still micromanaging everything?

I think he is still involved. But McGlashan said CR only is doing the minimum to convince people he is still involved. So he is, and he occasionally pops out to show it, but he's been told to stop selling pipe dreams.

I don't buy this either.

Last year he's twice on record taking about unecessary features that will add a lot of work and require refactors of many things. One was the whole having virtual air flow along virtual pipes, but since most ships don't have these pipes most ships need to be refactored, not to mention the code to make the air flow through the pipes and how fires can break out in different rooms based on whether they have air or not. The other was physicalized materials, which basically involves refactoring all assets and adding a load of code.... and i'm not even sure what for. I'm half convinced that one is a load of poopoo dreamt up by CR in a fever dream or just meant to generate hype. As far as i can tell, rather than saying "This object has a hardness of 50" it adds a layer of abstraction that says "This object is made of wood. What hardness does wood have? 50!"

The other was physicalized materials, which basically involves refactoring all assets and adding a load of code.... and i'm not even sure what for. I'm half convinced that one is a load of poopoo dreamt up by CR in a fever dream or just meant to generate hype. As far as i can tell, rather than saying "This object has a hardness of 50" it adds a layer of abstraction that says "This object is made of wood. What hardness does wood have? 50!"
I think the introduction of these sort of things is just a delay tactic. Everything is so far away that they need to introduce some new change which sounds like it requires a huge amount of work in the hope that people will give them even more time and money to make the game.

more time and money to make the game.
Foulest doubter!

The alpha is already here and more playable and complete than many AAA games put together!

Search deep within your soul, do the right thing, buy an Idris, and contribute properly to the furtherment of the 'Verse by supplying mansions and handbags for the needy.

If you don't buy an Idris - Star Citizen will take another 20 years to get to beta, and it will all be your personal fault!

I think the introduction of these sort of things is just a delay tactic. Everything is so far away that they need to introduce some new change which sounds like it requires a huge amount of work in the hope that people will give them even more time and money to make the game.
Hit the nail on the head there, although making the game(s) is no longer the main function or concern. Ci¬G, the company is the main focus of the marketing venture. It's plain from the recent gathering of even more disposable assets along with continued dispersal or outsourcing of fiscal responsibility and funds.

You don't have to be a business genius to have a rough idea of what's happening behind the scenes. Take away the distracting focus on the game or 'virtual product'...what are you left with?

Some food for thought...Why do you suppose the development of Star Citizen has been continually and overwhelmingly driven by marketing rather than physical sales of an actual end product? The Calders (and possibly others via proxy) didn't invest in the making of a space game, they invested in an erstwhile successful online marketing venture. Those kind of deep water sharks don't throw money at random projects because they're fans of virtual space ships, secret gamers or mates with someone who is nothing more than a bottom feeder in their world... like Chris Roberts...They see $ signs through the people they entrust with the management of their vast fortunes...all rather coincidentally made via marketing ;)

Last edited:
If the funding tracker is to be believed the last couple of weeks have been a little flat ... only ~$100k a day "pledged" :

1618648406767.png

Only..... 9 years in and people are still throwing 100k a day their way.

Its astounding, especially for a game CIG said they could make for 65 million.
Yup ... It sure is. And that $65 Million promised so much, what ever happened to this awesome stretch goal ?:

1618649467553.png

Edit: Was it ever mentioned at any of physical events ?

Last edited:
If the funding tracker is to be believed the last couple of weeks have been a little flat ... only ~$100k a day "pledged" :

View attachment 220884
Corresponds with ship sales via the official store and the grey market strangely enough. It'll peak for a week or two when the Hercules Starlifter actually appears as flyable in game during the latter stages of the 3.13 patch then flatten out until the next jpeg appears like magic. I predict the Crusader Ares and Ion as the next and most possible in line for flyable will be another peak in 'funding' :)

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
You just have described the SC project in a nutshell. This has been the modus operandi since the first delays of Arena Commander back in 2013. Delays in exchange for new promises.

In reality these new promises for new content are just a way to hide incompetence and inability to deliver the original promises and content. In Spanish we have a term to describe this behaviour that losely translates to "retreating (or fleeing) forward".

Last edited:
Top Bottom