Why I and many others will rarely play open

No really, I am glad that there is solo-mode. I just wanna chill and have fun.

Thats what majority of players of games want, to chill and have fun, so just blaze your own trail in the mode that suits you :) PVP is tiny % of playerbase, gankers are a % of that %. Vid below to show you why many people in MMOs play Solo for many reasons. gl and have fun, its your game, you paid for it remember.

I'm a bit of an oddity. I'm pretty anti-social. I've tried joining a squadron before. I liked all the people in the squadron but I felt like I was putting most of my free time towards helping the squadron BGS, rather than having fun. So I left the squadron without explanation and blocked them all. Again, I liked all of them but I'm anti-social so I f'd off.

You should join my Squadron, never any hassle about BGS or anything, I just do what I want and chat when I want. Its the most unlike any other faction Ive ever met in any MMO where ego rules from the top usually.

The best thing you can do is give them a simple "gg" before you die. It's like a swift kick between the nacelles for people who want you to be mad.

The best thing you can do is learn how to block them and not say anything at all.

I sort of don't get the "only open" mentality some have. I get that it's a choice, a preference, I just don't get why

Because its hard to play in Open. Seriously. Its hard to play pixels in one mode over another because its more risk or more dangerous. Oh hang on, no it isnt is it? I see what I did there, I put my ego in charge and pretended any of it actually matters at all just so I could judge other people and pretend Im better than them. Silly me. Its just a game where nothing is dangerous or risky at all, just fun or not fun.

Of course it's entirely up to you but playing ED in Solo is basically ED with zero risk.

Oops. Only thing risky about playing a game is if you have diabetes and forget to eat or take your meds, or you have epilepsy and get triggered, or you get back ache from sitting still too long. Anything else just happens on a screen and is a choice what activity you do or dont take part in.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2l2ZxNhCSg

If one doesn't just want to pose as prey, one has to commit to grindy "end game" way of playing the game, where just the last meta-ships are acceptable options. This is basically why one gets intercepted by these type of ships - those have commited to end game and see it as the only way to stay competitive. It means further some serious amount of time commitment as well, so it is not likely that a family guy can play like this or anyone with a significant investment in his real life profession. This again means, that mainly those play "end game" content, who have the time of doing so - and are mostly younger with quite an amount of aggressive behavior as well (spending the time on playing a game like this is not helping them find a real life partner, which would lead to a more balanced attitude in life) - so in the end these people are more aggressive with an attitude. And this is why people not playing like this see them as "griefers" - because they are exactly that to a person with a more balanced life and less of an attitude or desire to mess with others.

My reason to mostly not play in open is, that I don't want to meet the end-game player type, because they have an attitude not compatible with mine - simple as that. But then there is my desire to be as well able to play in OPEN - but this would mean, i would have to accept to be basically prey once in a while - so it rarely happens that I play in OPEN. I haven't been intercepted by a player yet and maybe I could escape the situation - but at best it would add nothing to the enjoyment of the game and in the worst case, it would just make me avoid OPEN again. I have no desire to shoot other players or destroy their ships - and even less to be shot at or getting my ship destroyed - so why play OPEN?

Last edited:
Oops. Only thing risky about playing a game is if you have diabetes and forget to eat or take your meds, or you have epilepsy and get triggered, or you get back ache from sitting still too long. Anything else just happens on a screen and is a choice what activity you do or dont take part in.

Well I suppose I could have added a few more words to completely clarify the context surrounding my use of the word "risk" but I'd hoped it was self explanatory as being "in game risk". Clearly not, so I am very sorry for the mis-understanding.

If Frontier had the foresight to put in opt-in PVP right from the start of development, griefing and ganking would not be a thing in Elite Dangerous.

Well I suppose I could have added a few more words to completely clarify the context surrounding my use of the word "risk" but I'd hoped it was self explanatory as being "in game risk". Clearly not, so I am very sorry for the mis-understanding.

In game risk? Whats that then?

is it when you jump into an undiscovered system and find yourself stuck between 3 Stars and burning up? Is it when you explore and lose 85% of hull and keep going anyway? Is it when you fly without rebuy for the fun of it? Is it when you try and land on an 8G planet? Is it when you try and Neutron Boost and hope you dont end up facing the wrong way? Is it forgetting to ask for docking permission and entering the station? Is its carrying a passenger who doesnt like being scanned and knowing one scan will fail the mission? Is it trying to boost off a White Dwarf with a tiny exclusion zone? Is it losing your canopy and having minutes to get to the station without synthing? Is it jumping off a mountain in your one and only SRV 15,000 LY from the nearest restock?

Or does it somehow just involve meeting an OP silent running torpedo boat player who has zero risk to themselves? Or the risk of getting bored to death by players interdicting and relying on Alpha strike which doesnt work coz you avoid it?

I think youre confusing risk with fun or not fun, in a game where fun is really the only reward.

This may surprise some of you, but gankers are cool people to play with also.
From my personal experience, "the law & order" guys are more "not cool" than gankers.
Gankers/pvpers are doing what they preach and i respect that.
As for Spear guys and such "lawful" cmdrs, don't have positive experience with them.
So not all gankers are bad and not all "police" cmdrs are good.

PvP is one thing, squadrons of players picking on individual pilots is just stacking the odds in your favour and exploiting the game mechanics for your own gratification imho

I switch between Solo and Open myself to avoid those groups, but I'm totally open to random encounters or squad vs. squad PvP.

I have always wished Fdev had gone down the route of Kill too many Cmdrs outside of Warzones(CZs), HazRes, Contested Nav Beacons and you loose the ability to enter Security Controlled Systems, starting with High Sec systems until the only systems you can enter finally are Anarchy.

If they ever introduce Options for Private Groups, PvP in no security signal and CZ areas only, would be a good option.

Do you have engineered ships, are you elite, are you maxed out on rank? I find it very hard to believe some stories of open only players who have never tried solo or a private group. Not saying that about you because you have put in almost no details. The ones that I cannot believe are the ones who claim to have over 1000 hours, some claim to have 3000-4000+ hours in open, never having gone into solo or private group modes, have a dozen fully engineered ships, are maxed out on engineering mats, have unlocked at least every engineer near the bubble, max rank, triple elite, and on and on, yet have only been killed twice in 4-5 years of open only play, and have only been shot at outside of being killed twice two to three times by other players.

Gankers and griefers are always at systems where noobs will jump in the first time they leave the starting systems, they are all around the engineer bases and in the systems waiting near the star if they are not right there close to the base, they are at every CG event, at every gold rush, every hotspot, every popular location, but this guy managed to play in open only starting in a poorly rated starter ship, might have upgraded to an A rated Cobra before leaving the starter system, and evaded meta fully engineered ships, and players or missed them by chance for 4 years as they gathered mats and visited every engineer, , etc times a thousand, lol.

No way, did anyone get that far along from a noob in open only, and only got ganked twice.

There is no shame in saying the truth, that they did all of their grinding in solo or private, and once they had capable skills and ships they finally made open their permanent home.

Not using any terms or names, but I do not believe those stories for one second.
I have 2000 hours in the game with 3 ganks, 2 at engineers and 1 at shinrharta. I occasionally have gone into solo at the engineers, but no more than 5% of the time, but I never go to deciat, there’s little reason to.

400 mld of star systems, 200 ly cubic bubble around 50-80 gankers. They are located on both hemispheres. They have limited time for game, work, school and families
It means around 10 active from 8 to 12 p.m. It means 3 wings.

They are in 2 star systems.
  • Shinrarta dehzra
  • some CG or some engineers. If they are on CG then they are not at engineer

Really 10 persons terrorised entire galaxy with all parrarel universes?
If yes, then did better job than isis. isis terrorised only one planet.

Problem is like a monster in shadow of children room. If you turn lights on, there is no monster.
In fact there are no gankers. There is a community who refuses any, even simpliest and basic, rules of gameplay and form of self-development.
IF NPC, star, player or whatever destroying their ship, they are not thinking even single microsecond they should a bit learn a rules of a game what they are playing. They want to nerf NPC, stars, players, they want gimballed plasma accelerators, turreted iWin buttons.

Griefers. For the most part.

Whenever I play open, and happen to cross ways with another player, I get interdicted and killed by a full engineered guy. "I mean, ok, you obviously want to test out your super OP ship and pubstomp little-me, I get it. I hope you were able to pump up that little ego of yours. Now I relogg into solo mode, goodbye." :D

Yee, it's dumb, really.

No really, I am glad that there is solo-mode. I just wanna chill and have fun.
Tho sometimes I get the urge to step into open-play with the hope to find some cool guys to play with. Even though it sometimes tends to end like described above.

Not sure, why I write this, maybe I don't want solo-mode ever to be deleted and I hope it never will be.
A lot of players are fine with the odd gank attempt here and there once they have found their feet and have done at least the first level engineers. The problem is that engineering increases performance by a whopping 60-70% so an un-engineered ship has little chance. I always recommend that newer players go to the engineers in solo or pg, something that fdev should also do in my opinion. There are gankers that have 1000 plus kills to their name. If that can happen it suggests a serious balance problem with engineering and the C&P system.

Do you have engineered ships, are you elite, are you maxed out on rank? I find it very hard to believe some stories of open only players who have never tried solo or a private group. Not saying that about you because you have put in almost no details. The ones that I cannot believe are the ones who claim to have over 1000 hours, some claim to have 3000-4000+ hours in open, never having gone into solo or private group modes, have a dozen fully engineered ships, are maxed out on engineering mats, have unlocked at least every engineer near the bubble, max rank, triple elite, and on and on, yet have only been killed twice in 4-5 years of open only play, and have only been shot at outside of being killed twice two to three times by other players.

Gankers and griefers are always at systems where noobs will jump in the first time they leave the starting systems, they are all around the engineer bases and in the systems waiting near the star if they are not right there close to the base, they are at every CG event, at every gold rush, every hotspot, every popular location, but this guy managed to play in open only starting in a poorly rated starter ship, might have upgraded to an A rated Cobra before leaving the starter system, and evaded meta fully engineered ships, and players or missed them by chance for 4 years as they gathered mats and visited every engineer, , etc times a thousand, lol.

No way, did anyone get that far along from a noob in open only, and only got ganked twice.

There is no shame in saying the truth, that they did all of their grinding in solo or private, and once they had capable skills and ships they finally made open their permanent home.

Not using any terms or names, but I do not believe those stories for one second.
I've been playing almost exclusively (around 90% of the time) in open since the game launched. I can count the number of times I've been attacked by other players on my fingers and I have survived every encounter. Maybe I've been lucky but I also rarely take part in CGs or go to materials relogging sites. All my ships are heavily engineered.

Last edited:
My experience is different; there are always nice conversations and exchanges. I rarely meet another commander who does not respond to my greetings or does not greet me of his own accord. Often it doesn't take much more... a simple 'O7' in both directions and we go our separate ways. Except for the one time another commander stood by me when I was taken out of the SC by an NPC (I was not paing enough attention for a few seconds) and almost got killed - he came just in time to get me out of the mess. We chatted a bit about this and that and then went our separate ways, never to see each other again.
I have had some really good interactions in Mobius: chattering to others in system in trading CGs, winging up with people whom I didn't know in haz res zones, etc. One of the most interesting/fun experiences was a fellow CMDR I met in a haz res zone who didn't want to wing up (or maybe this was before wings?) where we would support each other but take it in turns as to who got the final kill to ensure equal distribution of rewards.

One thing I noticed is that the main Mobius is very quiet nowadays. I suspect it is because I should be in Mobius-Eurasia or something.

So that the same old boring clique of white knights can mock outsiders for not posting what they want to hear, of course.
I love
1620131213377.png

Almost as much as I love whine and cheese threads :)

Top Bottom