Features for which Frontier has 'no plans' (forum guesses)

Any type of planet that isn't a "differently coloured heightmap" as Braben put it. That's a lot of work, and I can't see a good way for Frontier to just introduce a much easier feature and give it the same name.

Panther Clipper
200.gif

Didn’t their latest shareholder report mention something about Odyssey driving a multi year source of revenue from elite dangerous? I’m assuming based on revenue sources for the game over the last few years, this simply means increased ARX sales. Cosmetics has been a significant source of revenue for the game for years now, increasingly so now that sales are hidden behind a fake currency. With the release of Odyssey, this strategy is more apparent than ever based on the massive price increase for Odyssey cosmetics compared to ship cosmetics.

As this player base has embraced ARX so hard, I see FDev doing very little with game features going forward because, well, why waste expensive resources developing a game when you can throw a few items a week on the cosmetic store for cheap (especially if outsourcing that work to a cheaper country) and still outdo sales in their other games? The savvy business strategy in this case is to keep overall staff numbers low, work on developing new games, and keep watering the ED plant with a couple low cost skins every week.

I think nothing new is coming to Odyssey any time soon. And, I think the solution to increasing content release frequency is to stop buying ARX. Force FDev to actually have to work for your money.

MacOS is not frontiers fault. Its Apple not updating the OpenGL to support compute shaders I believe.
If they were going to drop support because of a different platform requiring different software, maybe they shouldn't have promised support in the first place. Sounds more like a convenient excuse to justify their decision that Mac players weren't worth it.

If they were going to drop support because of a different platform requiring different software, maybe they shouldn't have promised support in the first place. Sounds more like a convenient excuse to justify their decision that Mac players weren't worth it.
In this context it doesn't matter. Whatever the reason, I'm guessing Frontier have no plans to bring the macOS client back.

That isn't "dropping support". That's Apple being Apple, doing their own thing regardless what industry standards or market pressure have to say. I'd bet Elite also doesn't run on Windows 95. That isn't Frontier's fault either.

Top Bottom