Professional Assassination: Target Fled?

Greetings all,

I confess I have a hankerin' for Odyssey foot assassination missions. But since Odyssey launch, about half of the ones I accept end up being failures because I can't find the target, and I have a feeling that it is 'user error' rather than an Odyssey issue, but was hoping some of you pros might be able to shed some light. Here's what happens.

Accept Professional Assassination mission at mission board in a station/outpost.
Get in my ship and Launch.
As soon as I launch, I get an in-game mail saying, "Mission Alert: Target Fleeing. Commander, The target made a break for it. Fortunately, I pulled a few strings to ensure they didn't get far. I'm sending you the new location now. Make sure they don't get away."
At the bottom of that message it says, "Mission Details - Target Body: Currently Unknown. Scan Required."
So I honk the system - nothing.
I go to the Nav Beacon and scan it - nothing.
I jump into FSS - every planet/signal that I can find is revealed - nothing.
I head to the planet that was the original target, land at the base and search their terminal for the target - nothing.
I pull up the Navigation menu - nothing.
I Look at the Contacts menu - nothing.
Pulling up the Mission in the Transaction screen, it says "Mission Details - Target Body: Currently Unknown. Scan Required"

I am at a complete loss. The mission timer is still active/not failed. The Galaxy Map shows the blue mission icon above the system I am in, but when I drill down to the system map, the mission icon on the left is gray and says 0 active missions.

Any ideas/thoughts? I am willing to bet I am just being dense and missing something simple...

Thanks

• Like (+1)
Reactions: F18
You have to fly very close (<0.1 ls normally, so in the mm area) to the planet the target was initially, and then you get a new mission marker.

Strange you went there and didn't get the mission marker. Is it possible you didn't look for it in navigations panel / missed it?

Strange you went there and didn't get the mission marker. Is it possible you didn't look for it in navigations panel / missed it?

I actually flew to the original planet, landed at the original settlement mentioned in the mission board when I picked up the mission, and checked a terminal there to see if the target was present - and she wasn't.

I did check the Navigation Panel - but now that you mention it I am not 100% sure that I checked it at that precise point.

Off to try again. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

I actually flew to the original planet, landed at the original settlement mentioned in the mission board when I picked up the mission, and checked a terminal there to see if the target was present - and she wasn't.

I did check the Navigation Panel - but now that you mention it I am not 100% sure that I checked it at that precise point.

Off to try again. :) Thanks for the suggestion!
That's what worked for me after the first time of scratching my head not finding the target. But you never can rule out bugs either 😁

Good luck trying, and if this works for you note here, so the next one who has this problem finds a solution easier :)

I had this once. But then the body was marked as mission target location in nav panel and as soon as I closed up I saw the mission POI (encrypted something in my case) - crashed eagle and lone target... I still got bounty for killing though 😂

Went back and checked Nav all the way in to the planet landing - no dice.

Also tried re-probing the planet - no luck there either.

Bums me out - material reward was a couple of Suit Schematics and I was pretty excited for that. LOL!

Are there many planets in the system? Is it worth the effort to check each one up close?

EDIT - Also, have you tried leaving the system and returning, then scan the Nav Beacon? Just guessing here :)

Yeh I just scanned the nav beacon which highlighted the planet and then the POI showed up close.

So long as you're in the target system this should work.

I had about 3-4 target fled assassination missions.

In only one instance i had to scan the nav beacon to highlight the planet
The rest of the cases the new planet was already highlighted and all i had to do was to fly there, drop into the Encrypted Comms POI, fire a couple of dumbfires and proceed to the next mission

I had about 3-4 target fled assassination missions.

In only one instance i had to scan the nav beacon to highlight the planet
The rest of the cases the new planet was already highlighted and all i had to do was to fly there, drop into the Encrypted Comms POI, fire a couple of dumbfires and proceed to the next mission
Sure. But the op sounds like they're at "that one instance" I guess.

I've never needed to scan a beacon until this one time either.

The OP says they scanned the Nav Beacon - so they're at that other 'one instance' where they should just shrug, dump the mission and move on. With an optional check of the issue tracker and a 'me too' comment added, as I'm sure it has been reported.

The OP sounds like they're in the wrong system IMO

What i was trying to say is that i had to scan the nav beacon only when the target fled in another system.
Usually they flee just to the next planet in the same system and no scan is needed

What i was trying to say is that i had to scan the nav beacon only when the target fled in another system.
Usually they flee just to the next planet in the same system and no scan is needed
Yeh this is the same when I had to do it. I've only done one of these though, so I'm not an expert.

Reading the OP again I'm with @Factabulous and it sounds more like the mission just failed to execute properly. Hard to say though based only on written testimonial.

This franchise is nothing if not consistent. As I recall about 20% of my assassination missions failed in FE2 because the target simply wasn't there at the allotted time. Perhaps the art of silently slipping out of the back door unnoticed has been passed down through generations of NPCs.

Just wanted to thank you all for your input! I read every reply and tried everything listed to no avail, so I am chalking it up to a bugged mission (at least for now).

As one poster suggested, I dropped the mission and moved on and have since completed other missions without incident. :)

Thank you again, folks - much appreciate your time! :)

Just wanted to thank you all for your input! I read every reply and tried everything listed to no avail, so I am chalking it up to a bugged mission (at least for now).

As one poster suggested, I dropped the mission and moved on and have since completed other missions without incident. :)

Thank you again, folks - much appreciate your time! :)
You are not the only one with this issue. I've been experiencing (along with some good number of colleagues), that this problem is persistent. I recommend reporting it to Frontier so /maybe/ they can fix it.

/Maybe./

Top Bottom