2 Days without an accident

Its dumb- really dumb.

You can wait for a CQC match in your ship......why not the station?

Where is Galnet audio playing in station PA systems?

Where is the local news (on scrolling dot matrix displays / audio)?

Where are the extra missions being offered by people running to you / in the bar?

Where are the shady Powerplay contacts?

I really, really really wish I was there when EDO was planned, because I'd be pointing all this out- why was it forgotten or ignored? Where is the passion gone to bring ED together?

All top ideas. Being fair to Frontier though, I don't see anything in the way Odyssey has been designed that stops those assets being developed. Odyssey needs them to be really special but I don't think Odyssey is inherently bad without them, if you see what I mean. It's just not GREAT .. which it could be and (for me) is close to being.

I got the impression early on that the UI was outsourced, given how different (even incompatible) it is compared to the base game. I do wonder whether a lot more than we might think was outsourced in the end. Unless the old meme of FD not playing their own game really is true.
It just boggles my mind. In the past Sandro would often refer to other parts of the game and be able to hold a conversation on it- he'd know stuff.

Today? No chance.

All top ideas. Being fair to Frontier though, I don't see anything in the way Odyssey has been designed that stops those assets being developed. Odyssey needs them to be really special but I don't think Odyssey is inherently bad without them, if you see what I mean. It's just not GREAT .. which it could be and (for me) is close to being.
But its again all pastry, all foundation, and no actual filling.

Its all 'jam tomorrow' over and over and over, each year, every year.

If FD want ED to recapture the early glow then they need to stop making rickety foundations and fill in whats already here- they had two whole years and 100 devs. What did we get for that?

I got the impression early on that the UI was outsourced, given how different (even incompatible) it is compared to the base game. I do wonder whether a lot more than we might think was outsourced in the end. Unless the old meme of FD not playing their own game really is true.

For what it's worth for me station services works fine, so do terminals, so do mission givers as far as they go. The Galaxy Map I get on fine with and even outfitting imo is close.

I do think the shipyard is TRASH but even that, I think I can see what they were driving at at least, the showroom idea. Pants for managing ships though, the wire frames are a million times cooler but a hybrid with Horizons shipyard could work for me.

Deleted member 182079

D
For what it's worth for me station services works fine, so do terminals, so do mission givers as far as they go. The Galaxy Map I get on fine with and even outfitting imo is close.

I do think the shipyard is TRASH but even that, I think I can see what they were driving at at least, the showroom idea. Pants for managing ships though, the wire frames are a million times cooler but a hybrid with Horizons shipyard could work for me.
The one thing that always gets me is why the on-foot UI is so different from the ship one. Seems a complete no-brainer to me to align one with the other. I also find the fact we have not one but two completely different looking AND working menu wheels. As if they not only outsourced that particular aspect, but they did so to two separate contractors.

Large parts of EDO's design and structure to me look like they've been worked on by people whose experience with Elite is a briefing document outlining the features of Horizons, in text format only.

The shipyard is one of the worst downgrades in the game in terms of UI for me - it's laggy (it takes seconds for each ship model to load), information we had before has been removed and replaced with meaningless statistics. Again, as if someone who designed arcade racer menu screens was hired to do this for EDO. Style over substance, and it's not that the style is even that... stylish.

If FD want ED to recapture the early glow then they need to stop making rickety foundations and fill in whats already here- they had two whole years and 100 devs. What did we get for that?

Maybe but if we didn't get space legs people would still be asking for it. Opens up nice possibles for missions requiring both ship and foot though? And I love catburgling the bases persoanlly, the way the guards talk make me FEEL like a perp.

Plus of course, if we could spacewalk too, then we could always human in and release the goods ourselves, fixing megaship looting in one foul fell stroke! ;)

I also find the fact we have not one but two completely different looking AND working menu wheels.

One's an item wheel though, the other a context? The context wheel sticks open (and has more choices) the item wheel doesn't but that's the way you use them .. one tactical, one strategic. Don't have a prob with those myself.

Deleted member 182079

D
Hehe, yeah true they did nail the "hostile environment" feel of the settlements. You're there with no criminal record, are simply to collect a legal item, and everyone treats you like you murdered their entire families, twice.

Deleted member 182079

D
One's an item wheel though, the other a context? The context wheel sticks open (and has more choices) the item wheel doesn't but that's the way you use them .. one tactical, one strategic. Don't have a prob with those myself.
Well, they look different for starters, and the way you select things is different also - just one example, in order to pull up the system map I have to hold button to bring up the wheel (then I let go of the button, unlike the other wheel), select left dpad, press button to select, then select the sys map icon again to open it.

In my ship I simply hold Y and press dpad left. Doesn't work on-foot. Why? Who knows. My bet still is that whoever designed those UI elements never played (or even just seen) the game in their life.

Hehe, yeah true they did nail the "hostile environment" feel of the settlements. You're there with no criminal record, are simply to collect a legal item, and everyone treats you like you murdered their entire families, twice.

Yeah, where it's good .. I think it's fair to say .. it's good. CQC booths, dodgy drug dealers in the corners, superpower propaganda scrawl - and an end / reversal to the shipyard - still essential items though.

In my ship I simply hold Y and press dpad left. Doesn't work on-foot. Why? Who knows. My bet still is that whoever designed those UI elements never played (or even just seen) the game in their life.

You should ask for a System Map hotkey binding then? They added one for medpacks and powercells, though I suspect if it's not there by default that'll be because other planets in the system (map) are not immediately reachable on .. er .. foot.

And means - if you're under fire - you need to be extra hotstuff at orienteering?
You mean you DIDN'T plan your getaway ahead of time? (Last time I do a power regulator robbery with you Dog!) ;)

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
You should ask for a System Map hotkey binding then? They added one for medpacks and powercells, though I suspect it's not there by default because other planets in the system (map) are not immediately reachable on .. er .. foot.

And means - if you're under fire - you need to be extra hotstuff at orienteering?
You mean you DIDN'T plan your getaway ahead of time? (Last time I do a power regulator robbery with you!) ;)
In my humble and honest opinion - what they should've done is to replicate the left/right/bottom ship menu sections and assigned functions to those similar to what we have for ships.

You could then either add hotkey access to those (including hotkey access for any specific tasks such as delete security scan access, flashlight etc.) or for people like myself just use TrackIR to bring them up (like I already do in my ship - look left/right/up/down brings up the relevant menu, I don't use buttons to bring those up, one of the IMO most genius UI solutions in any game I've played).

The top radar section is fine to be fair, the only gripe I have with it is that the radar is disabled during initial disembarkment from the ship/SRV showing planet stats and status. Another one of those style over substance design decisions.

Maybe but if we didn't get space legs people would still be asking for it. Opens up nice possibles for missions requiring both ship and foot though? And I love catburgling the bases persoanlly, the way the guards talk make me FEEL like a perp.

Plus of course, if we could spacewalk too, then we could always human in and release the goods ourselves, fixing megaship looting in one foul fell stroke! ;)
Its a case of why did FD put every egg in the legs basket? Why no love for the space part of the game? That part has had no real balance passes for years and its suffered for it.

You could then either add hotkey access to those (including hotkey access for any specific tasks such as delete security scan access, flashlight etc.) or for people like myself just use TrackIR to bring them up (like I already do in my ship - look left/right/up/down brings up the relevant menu, I don't use buttons to bring those up, one of the IMO most genius UI solutions in any game I've played).

Not everyone uses TrackIR though and - isn't it less to do with the wheels - because your headlook matches your direction of travel on foot, I'm not sure how that could possibly work without - at mimimum - a seperated headlook are you asking for?

Straying a bit off topic possibly. Finer and finer details - CQC booths, dodgy drug dealers in the corners, superpower propaganda scrawls - are of course HIGHLY desirable. More the merrier and Mega City One!

Last edited:
Its a case of why did FD put every egg in the legs basket? Why no love for the space part of the game? That part has had no real balance passes for years and its suffered for it.

Perhaps they feel that balance pass is worth more if they're able to have random mission datapoints or messages in space, give you a crash sites to raid on foot. Clearly a new game mode opens up more of a market for the game.

Perhaps they feel that balance pass is worth more if they're able to have random mission datapoints or messages in space, give you a crash sites to raid on foot.
Possibly, but you have so many layers that need continual tweaking to keep in check: engineering blueprints, mat costs, Guardian / Thargoid / human broker tech, ships, weapons, Powerplay, BGS etc. All of those need love now, and could have been done easily during the covid crisis, because its sit down and think, play, tweak. Hell, we had an entire beta to try out....but......we got nowt and now we have a broken FPS component with limited ongoing value and a stale space component.

It's not broken. It (very) arguably could be more but, if you haven't tried it, it's definitely functional.
From my perspective its broken. Fps is really, really bad, glitches and problems all over and I'm not alone (just look at the forum, feedback etc).

Hell, looking though a window halves my fps- is that bad.

Top Bottom