Elite Dangerous’ Odyssey update delayed indefinitely for consoles

giphy (2).gif

They don’t know how to do it - it’s that simple.

I have zero faith in FDev’s abilities with (or interest in) consoles at this point.

They need to get another studio in who knows PlayStation inside out and have them help to re-port the Cobra engine to both PS4 and PS5-native binaries.

Then do the same for XBox.

heck, an announcement to that effect might actually restore some faith that consoles aren’t being completely abandoned.

They don’t know how to do it - it’s that simple.

I have zero faith in FDev’s abilities with (or interest in) consoles at this point.

They need to get another studio in who knows PlayStation inside out and have them help to re-port the Cobra engine to both PS4 and PS5-native binaries.

Then do the same for XBox.

heck, an announcement to that effect might actually restore some faith that consoles aren’t being completely abandoned.
I dont expect anything productive or resembling good news on the console front anymore

I dont expect anything productive or resembling good news on the console front anymore
Indeed … it’s such a shame … I LOVED the original Elite on the old BBC Micro as a kid … it captured my imagination, flying around in my little ship … and I was so excited when I first realised it was coming out for PS4 … and now I haven’t played for over a month - despite finding a decent squadron - at first because the other endless connection error and crashes were frustrating me but, after a while, I was like … what would I do if I did log in?

I want something to peak my interest again …

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Yeh it's technically correct. I accept that.

It's still click bait as it doesn't add anything further than what is already in David's post.

We'll have to wait and see I guess how long indefinitely really is.

I read the article and I dont think indefinitely and to be announced are quite the same as indefinitely Is essentially never.

Just for the record I think they are dropping us and want to squeeze out a few more $ from us before they pull the plug. The objectivist in me though accepts that there really is no actual evidence.

I read the article and I dont think indefinitely and to be announced are quite the same as indefinitely Is essentially never.

Just for the record I think they are dropping us and want to squeeze out a few more $ from us before they pull the plug. The objectivist in me though accepts that there really is no actual evidence.
Until they give a date, indefinite is a factual statement. 🤷‍♂️

I was expecting this and I think it’s partly because fixing the pc version is going to take a lot longer than they originally planned and partly because it probably won’t run stable on console.
Given that FDEV have already stated that there are no plans for next gen specific versions of Horizons or odyssey I‘d speculate that we might never see a full version of odyssey on any console, possibly a vanilla version at some point in the future to justify development costs but without all the features and future updates promised to pc users.
Personally I’m not really bothered anymore, there are better FPS games out there and odyssey isn’t the game I wanted FDEV to make so I think I’ll just put it to bed now and move on to other games.

I think it’s also worth saying that Sony aren’t exactly helping the situation, the way they are treating their loyal customers by restricting distribution of PS5 has possibly made FDEV believe there just isn’t enough profit to justify further supporting a console version of ED and Odyssey, it’s always been a small seller on console so maybe its more of a business decision than a tech one.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I think it’s also worth saying that Sony aren’t exactly helping the situation, the way they are treating their loyal customers by restricting distribution of PS5 has possibly made FDEV believe there just isn’t enough profit to justify further supporting a console version of ED and Odyssey, it’s always been a small seller on console so maybe its more of a business decision than a tech one.
I don't think Sony are restricting the distribution of PS5s. They released to different regions at different times but, the supply is just constrained. Its not in Sony's interest to restrict stock if it has it. It wants to sell consoles believe it or not.

I don't think Sony are restricting the distribution of PS5s. They released to different regions at different times but, the supply is just constrained. Its not in Sony's interest to restrict stock if it has it. It wants to sell consoles.
So why are there plenty available in South America but not in the UK, I’m more annoyed at Sony for forcing developers hands than FDEV.

Top Bottom