State of the Game

i vote that the next TEDx talk be about "Why do cell phone manufacturers each produce 30+ horrible phones they have no intention on supporting and a couple they half support when all they should be producing is maybe 4 models updated every 2-3 years? 3 standards (high, mid , low) and 1 experimental. At most. "
Agreed.

Also, having experienced cell phone technology both here and elsewhere, I find it baffling that, in a nation that could put men on Mars if we wanted to, we still can't produce a cell phone that sounds better than a land line or, for that matter, better than two tin cans tied together with a piece of string (provided that you wrap the tin cans in a king size comforter, then submerge them in vegetable oil for two days).

I don't know how many times I've asked people to please chuck their "smart" phone out the window and call me on a land line instead so I can at least somewhat understand what they're trying to communicate. Heck, a 70s era army radio would be better.

I have a multi-page thesis on the Tao of Blam!™, but I'm pretty certain that I'd have to post it on a different forum, lest I incur enough infractions to drive our poor moderators andn CMs insane.

I do find it encouraging to see such eagerness to learn the One True Truth, however, young padawan. You will go far, and I'll be happy to assist you as much as I can, being a mere mortal, on your way forward.

Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Through Passion I gain Strength.
Through Strength I gain Power.
Through Power I gain Victory.
Through Victory my chains are Broken.
The Force shall free me.

BLAM!!
You forgot:

Blessed be the Peacemaker....

(Sam Colt knew his beans!)

Agreed.

Also, having experienced cell phone technology both here and elsewhere, I find it baffling that, in a nation that could put men on Mars if we wanted to, we still can't produce a cell phone that sounds better than a land line or, for that matter, better than two tin cans tied together with a piece of string (provided that you wrap the tin cans in a king size comforter, then submerge them in vegetable oil for two days).

I don't know how many times I've asked people to please chuck their "smart" phone out the window and call me on a land line instead so I can at least somewhat understand what they're trying to communicate. Heck, a 70s era army radio would be better.

i've never had a land line in my entire adult life. Even when i lived with my parents back in high school, we didn't have a land line.

Though, i suspect a lot of those poor quality calls you're getting are due to people using bluetooth hands free type setups. so you're getting crap quality blue tooth headset compression that then gets decoded by (their also likely garbage cell phone) and then recompressed again to go over cell network ...

i never use bluetooth to talk on the phone ... then again.. i can probably count on 1 hand how many times i've used voice calling on my cell phone in the past 12 months. (and still have fingers left)

i've never had a land line in my entire adult life. Even when i lived with my parents back in high school, we didn't have a land line.
What the Hades did you use, then? Carrier pigeons? Smoke signals?
Though, i suspect a lot of those poor quality calls you're getting are due to people using bluetooth hands free type setups. so you're getting crap quality blue tooth headset compression that then gets decoded by (their also likely garbage cell phone) and then recompressed again to go over cell network ..
I do suspect you're on to something there. Which only leads me to conclude that people using Bluetooth should be shot.

Twice. Just to be sure.

I'm a simple Sith. Although I find it messes up my complexion pretty damn bad.
We had this covered already.
Just drink a lot of water when you do your Sith tricks.
They make you siphon a lot of energy through your body, generate heat, the force prevents your body from sustaining excessive damage from heat, but it's evaporating water from your outer cells, therefore the complexion issues.

I sense some factual, scientific dispute incoming...

Can and should be any change in the way how neural network is working considered as (permament) "damage" considering the fact that brain is constantly "rewiring" itself as a part of it's self reprogramming process?

etc, etc

EDIT:
Ok, the second link from ED post kind of nuked this post.
Losing gray matter is brain damage.
Not so much neural plasticity at play as dysfunctional "rewiring" of the olfactory bulb. DE is right that there are 2 mechanisms at play - sustentacular supporting cell dysfunction which is probably the majority, and olfactory bulb damage (which may be partly driven by dysfunction of the support network as the olfactory bulb and associated olfactory nerve lack ACE2 receptors so acute Cov-19 infection would be an unlikely mechanism). As the olfactory bulb repairs, as most neural structures, it often forms wrong connections leading to parosmia where sense of smell is distorted and "wrong", or in some cases isn't regenerating at all which probably accounts for those with very long term loss of smell.
AFAIK the theory of central processing dysfunction and neural plasticity as a mechanism for improvement have lost favour, but I could be wrong...

Water?

Do you KNOW what fish do in water???

I ain't touching any of that stuff!
You can drink Chernobyl bottled water.
It's guaranteed to come from pools with no organic contamination.
Just don't keep the bottle near your bed, the glow makes it harder to fall asleep for some people.

What the Hades did you use, then? Carrier pigeons? Smoke signals?
cell phones. i still have all mine from pre-android to the first(almost) commercial android device thru to now. It's like an evolutionary chart of random public whims in what cell phones should be. never seemed very logical to have an expensive cell phone service and also pay for a landline. That's like paying for live tv streaming services and cable tv.

I do suspect you're on to something there. Which only leads me to conclude that people using Bluetooth should be shot.

Twice. Just to be sure.

i definitely wouldn't be making any kind of important call on one. they almost all universally use the lowest power codecs to encode the audio, which tend to be the lower quality codecs ...and your phone is already going to do low quality if you're not on a carrier that does voip over 4g. So you're double encoding via low quality codecs. there's no hope at that point to sound good.

Not so much neural plasticity at play as dysfunctional "rewiring" of the olfactory bulb. DE is right that there are 2 mechanisms at play - sustentacular supporting cell dysfunction which is probably the majority, and olfactory bulb damage (which may be partly driven by dysfunction of the support network as the olfactory bulb and associated olfactory nerve lack ACE2 receptors so acute Cov-19 infection would be an unlikely mechanism). As the olfactory bulb repairs, as most neural structures, it often forms wrong connections leading to parosmia where sense of smell is distorted and "wrong", or in some cases isn't regenerating at all which probably accounts for those with very long term loss of smell.
AFAIK the theory of central processing dysfunction and neural plasticity as a mechanism for improvement have lost favour, but I could be wrong...
Arghhh this was supposed to be easy going thread, now I will HAVE TO do some reading, because I wasn't really into this yet.

cell phones. i still have all mine from pre-android to the first(almost) commercial android device thru to now. It's like an evolutionary chart of random public whims in what cell phones should be. never seemed very logical to have an expensive cell phone service and also pay for a landline. That's like paying for live tv streaming services and cable tv.
I keep forgetting. There are people now alive that simply don't remember a time before cell phones.

I'm getting really old, ain't I?

Top Bottom