State of the Game

You'd have a script that does nothing but run in the background on the server that is much like the end of cycle ticks but runs constantly ... it looks at various factions and states directly from the database and determines what if any activity will be made on behalf of the silent NPC majority. Considering actual human activity as an weighted selector in not just the activity but the value of the activity the script applies.

Various aspects could be tunable for the player's taste. Amount of random activity, weighting favor towards a given super power or power, or resisting human activity and the strengths of those etc etc. Even controlling the effectiveness of thargoids against the bubble.

That would be a fairly simple means of simulating an active galaxy even if you're the only human playing in it. And that's before any consideration is made with adding to what the BGS can do and what the player can do with it. Which i'm betting would be expansion into unpopulated systems based on your own exploration and some simulated exploration activity from the dBGS script. Collapse. Etc.

think of how interesting things could get in your own private galaxy as you replay the events of jaques big jump... obviously there's no reason it can't jump to an entirely new place...giving you something to have to search for (or a modded version could generate "clue" stories that are dynamically created based on whatever the system jaques jumped into is named)...so you could solve your own puzzles without knowing the answer.

Then upon discovering him...the dBGS begins growing a new bubble dynamically. Perhaps by completing certain missions or CG's ... in a more large scale version of how you can initiate adjacent expansion in the existing bubble.

New factions can spawn based on faction "parts" that are procedurally connected together.. old factions can fully go extinct with any permit keys they hold going to whatever faction holds control in their last system. etc .. The entire game would be more alive in this scenario than it ever is in the official game. And the activity of the player can be as important or just as insignificant as they want it to be.

And what exactly would that achieve? It's still just you (and maybe a few mates) pushing the BGS across 25k systems (or whatever the number it is). 99% of the Bubble is still going to be completely unaffected by the players. You're effectively playing solitaire 🤷‍♂️

What do you think you're playing now? The only difference is your solitaire is hindered by limitations. Mine isn't.

You literally could replace all of the bgs activity with a script and you'd have the same game as you do now. Players can't do anything in the game that actually changes it. So all you're able to do in the official game is shift some values around existing systems that slightly impact markets or faction influences. It's not like players can blockade systems, destroy populations, create populations, end powers. ..create new powers or corner the market etc.

we're playing a game that looks at all of the downsides to an MMO, and doesn't make use of any of the advantages that come from it.

I'm just cutting out the middle man there. The middle man being fdev's non-vision vision of what the game should play like.

Last edited:
not really a kids show just a sort a series like Futurama

Cool I'll have to check it out - wish I hadn't made the presumption now!

it's animated for adults.

Gotcha.

Do you mean like :
an.jpg

Or more like :
raw

That's more the kind of tv education I like to go for! ;)

(I actually have JUST finished rendering it... silly waste of effort!)
FTFY.
It's where it was supposed to be.
On page 1400.

Link:

Last edited:
What do you think you're playing now? The only difference is your solitaire is hindered by limitations. Mine isn't.
I'm playing Far Cry 5 😁

I realized a long time ago that ED is just too big for anything meaningful to happen in it, so I quit playing it. The limitations come from the scale of the game.

Edit
I guess you could mod ED down to a hundred systems and stick the Thargoids in one corner and let things run.

But that's basically X3 😁

I'm playing Far Cry 5 😁

I realized a long time ago that ED is just too big for anything meaningful to happen in it, so I quit playing it. The limitations come from the scale of the game.

The limitations are obviously just from fdev's non-vision vision of the game. (i edited my comment before your reply).

ditch that limitation, and the potential for the game can be realized. It may never be able to realize the potentials of an mmo that plays like EVE due to the network implementation. But that's not the only potential the game has.

I'm playing Far Cry 5 😁

Edit
I guess you could mod ED down to a hundred systems and stick the Thargoids in one corner and let things run.

But that's basically X3 😁

x games are about fleet commanding. this would still be all about you as a single pilot controlling a single ship at a time.

if your vision of the game is to play in a post-apocalyptic bubble with a few systems and limited resources, you can make that happen.

If your vision is to play the game with a thargoid invasion that is eating the bubble ... you can make that happen.

if your vision is to play the game and turn it off when you're not playing so your inactivity / schedule doesn't negatively impact things going on in the bgs, you can do that.

A moddable game with a private server allows almost anything to be possible. And i dont see much lost by leaving the official shared galaxy to play in such a galaxy. Unless you're super happy with how things are ...in which case, you'd still have that option.

x games are about fleet commanding. this would still be all about you as a single pilot controlling a single ship at a time.

if your vision of the game is to play in a post-apocalyptic bubble with a few systems and limited resources, you can make that happen.

If your vision is to play the game with a thargoid invasion that is eating the bubble ... you can make that happen.

if your vision is to play the game and turn it off when you're not playing so your inactivity / schedule doesn't negatively impact things going on in the bgs, you can do that.

A moddable game with a private server allows almost anything to be possible. And i dont see much lost by leaving the official shared galaxy to play in such a galaxy. Unless you're super happy with how things are ...in which case, you'd still have that option.
But that's true of a moddable version of ANY game - assuming your 'everything is configurable' utopia. You seem to be assuming that 'mod support' will turn ED into some version of 'RPG Maker in space'.

The state of the game as I see it.
I wanted to record my thoughts on the game as a long suffering (for all the right reasons) cmdr who has been playing since 1984 (on and off) and really loves Elite Dangerous and Horizons. In a million years time when a small portion of this blue green planet ends up in some scientists lab maybe they will come across this thread and finally understand. Or maybe the Lizard overlords will just erase it with a well deserved emphatic "cough".

I am in two minds. Much like Zaphod but without the ego. Either the game had no where to go and Odyssey was the last gasp before the big one or, the game has plenty of potential yet to be realised? In truth maybe somewhere in between. Lots of potential with no one to realise it.

I am not an Odyssey player. I play in open or a group and even then I play on my own. My style is Exploration, Trading, Mining and Thargoid combat (in that order). So FPS combat while interesting is not of interest. Ironically it was the non FPS aspects of Odyssey I was looking forward to. First planet foot fall (That Armstrong Moment). Discoveries. New and exciting planets. Having a drink in the bar. VR. Sadly, none of these aspects has been truly realised. But that's fine. Then again no it isn't.

VR is a big passion killer. Yes, I'm in a fortunate minority. But I sold the kidney, three testicals and half a liver to pay for it and I wan't it. In all it's impractical, jittery, warping nauseating game play. I wan't the choice. Why can't they just implement it in solo mode if there are concerns with PvP?. At least I could have something?

So what. I won't buy Odyssey because the core game play will be the same? Right? Wrong. From what I have read Odyssey is a big Exploration nerf. First it was admitted that the universe was reset. Not upgraded with love but just blanket reset. That's like saying to the player base "none of the previous years matter". Of course it does to me. But it also means a well loved route may turn out to be a beige corderoy nightmare with elbow patches. Immersion has suddenly become very flat.

But they didn't break anything else, right? The list of broken things to add to the previous list of broken things is quite astounding. I now have no idea if any previous well trodden paths are actually still standing. Trade routes trashed. Engineering mats cast asunder. My list of stations with toilet facilities now a soiled pipe dream. I could play for six months only to find I've missed 20% of the gameplay due to fails, bugs, purple sidewinders and errors or because it just isn't there. That's like trying to grind the grinder. My reaction therefore is to not play.

Putting the game down is good though. Give it a break. Come back when everything is fixed? Time is a good healer but not in gameplay terms. The longer you leave a game the less likely you are to return. I'm at the cusp. Elite Dangerous is still in my mindset. MSFS2020, No Mans Sky, Star Citizen, Moss and Lone Echo II are all clambering for my attention.

Here's the deal for me. I didn't buy Odyssey and won't until I see positive posts in the future. Neither will I throw some ARX to the devs to keep them interested. I did that in the past. I got no love. My ships are mothballed. The missus is in Cryo. I can't find the cat.

Give me unbroken game play.
Give me back the universe.
Give me VR and my Armstrong moment.
Add some more content.
Explain why I had three testicals.

The wait begins...

Attachments

• distant worlds 2 Beagle Point with fleet.jpg
    distant worlds 2 Beagle Point with fleet.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 34
(...) The longer you leave a game the less likely you are to return. (...)
There are no rules.
I started my ED adventure a few months after release.
Played for a year+ or so.
Left the game... early 2017 I think.

Came back in the middle-late 2019...
After ca. 2.5 years of break.

And it was the second attempt that really made "click" in my brain and made me spent zillion hours in game.

This is why it's REALLY hard for me to believe that we are supposed to be the "best (known) product" of all this vastness of possibilities.
oh indeed and why the concept of a humanist deity that we could understand in any meaningful way is hubris and worship is just a form of cargo cult (if indeed one even ventures to believe in a cosmic deity)

The state of the game as I see it.
I wanted to record my thoughts on the game as a long suffering (for all the right reasons) cmdr who has been playing since 1984 (on and off) and really loves Elite Dangerous and Horizons. In a million years time when a small portion of this blue green planet ends up in some scientists lab maybe they will come across this thread and finally understand. Or maybe the Lizard overlords will just erase it with a well deserved emphatic "cough".

I am in two minds. Much like Zaphod but without the ego. Either the game had no where to go and Odyssey was the last gasp before the big one or, the game has plenty of potential yet to be realised? In truth maybe somewhere in between. Lots of potential with no one to realise it.

I am not an Odyssey player. I play in open or a group and even then I play on my own. My style is Exploration, Trading, Mining and Thargoid combat (in that order). So FPS combat while interesting is not of interest. Ironically it was the non FPS aspects of Odyssey I was looking forward to. First planet foot fall (That Armstrong Moment). Discoveries. New and exciting planets. Having a drink in the bar. VR. Sadly, none of these aspects has been truly realised. But that's fine. Then again no it isn't.

VR is a big passion killer. Yes, I'm in a fortunate minority. But I sold the kidney, three testicals and half a liver to pay for it and I wan't it. In all it's impractical, jittery, warping nauseating game play. I wan't the choice. Why can't they just implement it in solo mode if there are concerns with PvP?. At least I could have something?

So what. I won't buy Odyssey because the core game play will be the same? Right? Wrong. From what I have read Odyssey is a big Exploration nerf. First it was admitted that the universe was reset. Not upgraded with love but just blanket reset. That's like saying to the player base "none of the previous years matter". Of course it does to me. But it also means a well loved route may turn out to be a beige corderoy nightmare with elbow patches. Immersion has suddenly become very flat.

But they didn't break anything else, right? The list of broken things to add to the previous list of broken things is quite astounding. I now have no idea if any previous well trodden paths are actually still standing. Trade routes trashed. Engineering mats cast asunder. My list of stations with toilet facilities now a soiled pipe dream. I could play for six months only to find I've missed 20% of the gameplay due to fails, bugs, purple sidewinders and errors or because it just isn't there. That's like trying to grind the grinder. My reaction therefore is to not play.

Putting the game down is good though. Give it a break. Come back when everything is fixed? Time is a good healer but not in gameplay terms. The longer you leave a game the less likely you are to return. I'm at the cusp. Elite Dangerous is still in my mindset. MSFS2020, No Mans Sky, Star Citizen, Moss and Lone Echo II are all clambering for my attention.

Here's the deal for me. I didn't buy Odyssey and won't until I see positive posts in the future. Neither will I throw some ARX to the devs to keep them interested. I did that in the past. I got no love. My ships are mothballed. The missus is in Cryo. I can't find the cat.

Give me unbroken game play.
Give me back the universe.
Give me VR and my Armstrong moment.
Add some more content.
Explain why I had three testicals.

The wait begins...
You might come back finding that the game is the same, but you are fine. That's all that matters.

:D S

Top Bottom