Player Death

Could be due to bugs. But the most common cause of this seems to be accidentally damaging the turrets. With the power off there's no outward change, but it does get registered as an attack and makes the base defenses consider you hostile.

Could be worse. It's frustrating to be killed by scavengers and respawn farther away than you'd like. But imagine instead that you'd beaten the scavs and finished the assignment - only to have your Apex blown up by the station turrets on your way out!

Someone explained that when you are killed you automatically fail the mission which gets you a fine.
Fine = detention center. I stand corrected.

If this is indeed the case then I think it’s stupid and it only wastes your time because you have to get all the way back to your original station, get your ship…
This is especially annoying when you have some spare time and decide to play for a while… suddenly you have a task on your hand which can take much much more time.

Last edited:
Good point.
Then I think you might be just right in your first post.
I wish I weren't but perhaps a more dev friendly way of saying it could be an unfortunate oversight in the coding 🤷‍♂️. I don't really wanna be mad at the devs I know they had crappy deadlines and such. I wish there were more OG devs still but it's what we got now

Could be due to bugs. But the most common cause of this seems to be accidentally damaging the turrets. With the power off there's no outward change, but it does get registered as an attack and makes the base defenses consider you hostile.

Could be worse. It's frustrating to be killed by scavengers and respawn farther away than you'd like. But imagine instead that you'd beaten the scavs and finished the assignment - only to have your Apex blown up by the station turrets on your way out!
This ☝️

Don't listen to Mick, OP, he doesn't even play.

Deleted member 182079

D
Does shooting a turret really give you a bounty?
It does. Can easily happen if you decide to carpet bomb a settlement with missiles. Even a stray shot on foot (because it's pitch black, you didn't grind for the night vision add-on for your suit, and the draw distance for your flash light isn't far enough) hitting any defense installations will yield one.

(see? answering a simple question without snark isn't that difficult)

It does. Can easily happen if you decide to carpet bomb a settlement with missiles. Even a stray shot on foot (because it's pitch black, you didn't grind for the night vision add-on for your suit, and the draw distance for your flash light isn't far enough) hitting any defense installations will yield one.

(see? answering a simple question without snark isn't that difficult)
Cheers.
I don't carpet bomb settlements and I haven't ever shot a turret by accident (and maybe OP didn't either, this was all just a theory) so I have no clue that it gives you an immediate bounty.

I am never too old to learn a new thing and it's good to have some helpful CMDRs who can teach me a thing or two.

Deleted member 182079

D
Cheers.
I don't carpet bomb settlements and I haven't ever shot a turret by accident (and maybe OP didn't either, this was all just a theory) so I have no clue that it gives you an immediate bounty.

I am never too old to learn a new thing and it's good to have some helpful CMDRs who can teach me a thing or two.
No worries.

I seem to remember from the last time it happened (and I always try to avoid hitting things accidentally, but when you get rushed by 5-6 NPCs things can get out of hand, especially when the framerate starts to tank as well, introducing input lag) it did give me a fine first but a second later that turned into a bounty. Maybe there's a damage threshold applied that is perhaps set too low, no idea.

No worries.

I seem to remember from the last time it happened (and I always try to avoid hitting things accidentally, but when you get rushed by 5-6 NPCs things can get out of hand, especially when the framerate starts to tank as well, introducing input lag) it did give me a fine first but a second later that turned into a bounty. Maybe there's a damage threshold applied that is perhaps set too low, no idea.
I see, that sounds fair enough.

The problem with Odyssey (for me) is to determine what is normal behaviour and what is a bug.
Especially when the game is not consistent with its predecessor in many ways and we have little to no explanation in-game or from the devs.

Deleted member 182079

D
I see, that sounds fair enough.

The problem with Odyssey (for me) is to determine what is normal behaviour and what is a bug.
Especially when the game is not consistent with its predecessor in many ways and we have little to no explanation in-game or from the devs.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat, and it usually ends my play sessions in frustration because there are so many old/new bugs and Frontier for some obscure reason doesn't see it necessary to explain the expected behaviour of the functionality within their game at all (or don't explain it clearly enough) so it's difficult to tell whether it was the game's, or my own fault, or indeed by design.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, and it usually ends my play sessions in frustration because there are so many old/new bugs and Frontier for some obscure reason doesn't see it necessary to explain the expected behaviour of the functionality within their game at all (or don't explain it clearly enough) so it's difficult to tell whether it was the game's, or my own fault, or indeed by design.
Yep, exactly. And then you go to the forums to ask an honest question and... oh well, let's just say it doesn't help :)

The only question that wasn't asked: Did you already have a bounty from a previous minor indescretion? In other words, when you were sent to "The Hamstrung Justice" did you have a zero amount to pay off or a positive one?

(as advised, shooting the defenses will get you a bounty too - most of us found out the hard way)

If none of the above, probably a bug - I've failed plenty of missions in Odyssey and only ended up in the slammer when there was a bounty present!

You really should play the game too...
I’ve never shot a turret because I use a plasma rifle, and it’d take really bad luck to miss with that but hit something important. I’m curious about this, if it’s widely known and such. I wouldn’t call it a bug exactly, but honestly if people with ar50s or carbines are running up against this a lot then maybe it should be a bug, maybe the damage threshold needs to be tweaked before a bounty is incurred. Maybe for a defense turret it should require destruction to incur a bounty. I’m willing to contribute to confirmation once I’m back to populated space, if there’s a ticket someone could link here.

Top Bottom