Discussion Thread #1 - What are your favourite real-life zoos?

What a fabolous thread! I'm really looking forward to this and upcomming discussions and I love the engagement the CMs show with this! :)

I am bad at taking photos at a zoo, so I don't have some to share yet, but:

My favourite zoo is Zoo Hannover. It is highly themed and most habitats seem to be quite up to date with animal welfare. As in every zoo their are still some places that needs improvements, but all in all it's a zoo I would recommend. It's a so called geo-Zoo, so you really feel like you are traveling the world when you visit the zoo. When I came there the first time, I was actually happy to see a german black and white cow at the end and felt "home" after that long journey :D

My second favourite I visited first time this week: Zoo Osnabrück. Not really themed, but they have a nice variety of animals and their habitats can be seen from different view points and are kind of interlaced. So the different sections of the habitat feel a bit small and you can see the animals up close, but since the habitat is inerlaced, the animals have actually a lot of room to wander. All habitats seemed to have quite a good variety of enrichment for them as well.

A zoo I have not yet been to, but that's definately on my dream list is of course Pairi Daiza. Everything I see and hear from it is just breath taking and in my opinion the concept is that of the future.

My heart zoo is Hagenbecks Tiergarten, Hamburg, Germany.
Which is a bit funny because I've never been to the zoo myself (but soon o.o I hope I don't have to cry)
I've known the zoo for years from TV and I feel that my heart is there. There are a number of zoo series in Germany. The best known is certainly "Elefant, Tiger & co" from the Leibzig Zoo. The series about Hagenbeck's zoo "Leopard, Seebär & Co" has been with me for many years, there aren't many episodes (around 200), but I still like to see it in the 6th repetition.
Please don't get your hopes up too high. It's my home town zoo and it's... not good, if you ask me. It's a bit like with Leipzig (which I visited too, because of Elefant, Tiger & co). The camera angles make the habitats look a lot larger than they are and it's mostly the emotional connection that sells both zoos.
Both zoos have the same concept that is, in my opinion, oudated for the visitor but especially regaring animal welfare.

That said, of course every zoo has it's pros and cons and even Hagenbeck has some parts that makes it worth a visit, but as someone who grew up with zoos, I can say it's not many an when we started to visit other zoos as well it was really kind of an eye opener.

I've been lucky enough to travel the world, and I make sure that wherever I go, I visit the local zoo (much to the dismay of my family at times ;)). My favourites, basically due to their sheer scale and the diversity of animals there, would have to be Singapore Zoo and San Diego Zoo. The first time I visited SDZ, they were just starting to build Africa Rocks, so I revisited in late 2019 (crept it in before the pandemic) and was really impressed with how nice an area they created there.

My all-time favourite animal is the manatee (fingers crossed for inclusion in PZ at some point), but since I'm based in Europe (Norway) the opportunities to see them aren't so great. So I have a soft spot for the Paris Zoo - I visited as a kid in the 90s and it was pretty bad, but I saw they had acknowledged it and put a ton of time and money into improving things, so I revisited in 2018 and was very pleasantly surprised. Also fell in love with this guy :love:)

Manatee Paris.jpg

Finally, I grew up in Scotland, so my 'local' zoo was Edinburgh and went there pretty often as a kid. To be honest, it was pretty bad when I first went there - the Polar Bear had a very sad enclosure (basically just rocks) and the big cats had tiny enclosures too.

Old leopard enclosure at Edinburgh Zoo. Very small.
Leopard edi.JPG

Old Polar Bear habitat at Edinburgh Zoo. I don't recall if there was any swimmable water, but I don't think so.
442 – Polar Bear lies in his enclosure – Edinburgh Zoo – NA – 90's.jpg

Fortunately, the zoo has really upped their game in recent years, spending a lot of money on redevelopment and ensuring that their animals get suitable habitats. The Polar Bear and leopards were sent to the Highland Wildlife Park (really recommend that place if you haven't been) with huge habitats. The Zoo replaced their small Sea Lion pond with a meerkat habitat, the Polar Bear rock became a rebuilt Sun Bear habitat and they completely destroyed the tiny big cat enclosures. They are currently building a new giraffe house and have recently completed a new tiger habitat, with a pretty cool glass walkway for guests that the tigers can climb over.

Tiger habitat walkway at Edinbrugh Zoo.
tiger edi.jpg

Revamped Polar Bear habitat at Edinburgh Zoo - now housing Sun Bears.

sun bear edi.jpg

I haven't visited many zoos outside of Spain so my opinion is pretty biased.
Even though there aren't may zoos in my country, one of them really stands out for its amazing landscapes and humongous enclosures. No; PZ animals would have no complaints with the habitat size requirements here, in fact, they pretty much live in a semi-freedom regime. I'm talking about Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabárceno. I've visited it 4 times (last one just a couple of weeks ago) and I still get amazed by the concept of this park, because it's not a conventional zoo after all.

No fancy architecture (if any at all), no over-thought zoo design; just pure beautiful landscape and vast areas for the animals. In fact, the park is so big that you use your own car to move between enclosures. The whole thing is located in an area with a very intricate karstic landscape, which not too long ago housed a huge iron mine that dated back from the Roman Empire era.

Overview:
Cabarceno.jpg

Cabarceno-blog18.jpg

Cebras-en-Cabarceno.jpg

17598795.jpg

Cabarceno2.jpg

Last edited:

Eltanin Casciani

Community Manager
I have been to over 120 zoos but I don’t always go to every zoo I can.
HOLY ZOOS BATMAN, that's a lot of visits!

My heart zoo is Hagenbecks Tiergarten, Hamburg, Germany.
Which is a bit funny because I've never been to the zoo myself (but soon o.o I hope I don't have to cry)
I hope you manage to go soon, those seals are adorable!

I haven't visited many zoos outside of Spain so my opinion is pretty biased.
Even though there aren't may zoos in my country, one of them really stands out for its amazing landscapes and humongous enclosures. No; PZ animals would have no complaints with the habitat size requirements here, in fact, they pretty much live in a semi-freedom regime. I'm talking about Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabárceno. I've visited it 4 times (last one just a couple of weeks ago) and I still get amazed by the concept of this park, because it's not a conventional zoo after all.

No fancy architecture (if any at all), no over-thought zoo design; just pure beautiful landscape and vast areas for the animals. In fact, the park is so big that you use your own car to move between enclosures. The whole thing is located in an area with a very intricate karstic landscape, which not too long ago housed a huge iron mine that dated back from the Roman Empire era.

Overview:
Cabarceno.jpg
This is beautiful.

What a great thread! I'm already looking forward to the upcoming discussion thread. This is a great idea! ❤️

I don't really have a favorite zoo, but the one I've visited the most is my city zoo (and the only one in the country) Ljubljana zoo. We are very lucky because our capital city is very green - we have a lot of green areas. Our zoo is located in the forest area. For the first time in my life I live very close, about a 10 minute bike ride, and I'm thinking of getting a yearly pass. It's great to just walk around, get some fresh air, some light exercise, and I want to support the zoo. I will be going again probably in late September - I hope we will be able to enjoy some glimpses of autumn colour - I adore autumn, it's my favorite time of the year.

Anyway, the zoo is on the smaller side and is populated with some of the key zoo animals - Asiatic lion, cheetah, meerkat, Californian sea lion, Siberian tiger, ostrich, giraffe, etc. In the last few years, some of the habitats received major renovations - they gave the Siberian tigers a much bigger (and much needed) habitat. Before they had the lions and the cheetahs in elongated cage-like enclosures and it was just horrible. The lions now have a good and big enclosure left of the entrance, and the cheetahs have their own big enclosure where they have a lot of space to run around. As I mentioned, the zoo is in a heavily forested area so a lot of habitats are very natural. There is also a small petting zoo which is just adorable, I always go there to pet the piglets and goats. ❤️

The zoo is in need of some major renovations, especially with the elephant. I always get sad when I see our female elephant. She's all alone, she hasn't had a companion ever since she arrived from India in the 70s, and according to the zoo, the lack of knowledge and resources back in the day is the reason she doesn't have a companion; she has bonded with the keepers so much and has been all by herself for so long, that bringing in another elephant would actually cause her immense stress and harm her. Nonetheless, it makes me sad because I know how social and intelligent elephants are. She's also kept in a way too small habitat.

Overall, it's not a great zoo, but they are trying and are improving. I was able to see some backstage areas, which are always exciting to see because I used to work there one day a week as part of my training for becoming a vet technician. I remember my friend and me cleaning and preparing stuff for the sea lion. One time we worked in the kitchens. Then other times we cut off the wool from the sheep. It's the best feeling ever, taking care of animals. I say this because working as a zoo keeper would actually be my dream job. I HATE working with people, and animals have always been a safe space for me. Unfortunately, life doesn't always go as you plan, and I am on the verge of a completely new career, so that will remain a dream.

Other zoos I have visited are the Taronga Zoo in Sydney (first time I saw African penguins, and koalas! I also saw the funnel web spider very up close because I went to one of those education talks they have in the zoos - they talked about spiders and it was very informative!), Washington Zoo in Washington (first time seeing a silverback gorilla!), Zagreb Zoo in Croatia, Munich Zoo Hellabrun (first time seeing a polar bear...WOW!). When I lived in Australia (Canberra), I also visited some kind of privately owned little park where I was able to mingle with the kangaroos and feed them, I also held a wombat. It just brings a smile to my face just remembering - I cherish these moments so much. Before boarding the boat to Taronga Zoo, I remember visiting an aquarium and a wildlife park - it was right there in the harbor, and I remember getting a good deal, it was like 65$ to go see both. I went into one of those aquariums where you're kind of in a tube - it was so awesome! I remember seeing a Japanese spider crab there for the first time - I was in awe at how big it is!

Anyway, here are some pictures from Ljubljana Zoo. They are not mine, but I'll make sure to take some the next time I visit.

6257558_orig.jpg

_5df79c8a58e7d.jpg

1024px-Kalifornijski_morski_lev.JPG

Ograda-za-simpanze-po-prenovi.jpg

Alpake%20s%20poletno%20pri%C4%8Desko.jpg

San Diego Zoo felt like absolute heaven! The habitat designs and immersive experience, the scenery that reflects regions, the entire African rocks section, the species diversity, the aviaries, just incredible. I wish it was our local zoo, but it was worth an overseas trip.

And Taronga Zoo, my local zoo. Such a conservation focus, unique Australian architecture, beautiful habitats and interesting species.

Please don't get your hopes up too high. It's my home town zoo and it's... not good, if you ask me. It's a bit like with Leipzig (which I visited too, because of Elefant, Tiger & co). The camera angles make the habitats look a lot larger than they are and it's mostly the emotional connection that sells both zoos.
Both zoos have the same concept that is, in my opinion, oudated for the visitor but especially regaring animal welfare.

That said, of course every zoo has it's pros and cons and even Hagenbeck has some parts that makes it worth a visit, but as someone who grew up with zoos, I can say it's not many an when we started to visit other zoos as well it was really kind of an eye opener.
That's pretty interesting and a little bit funny. I wanted to write something similar to you about the Hanover Zoo, which is too thematic for me, what you like right now :) for me there is no need for a boat trip in the zoo or a penguin enclosure that looks like a shipwreck or an Indian temple for tigers. But everyone as he / she / it just likes. I think that's really funny, xD you like what I don't like and vice versa. Maybe we should switch our place of residence.

But of course I understand what you mean and I am well aware, that television likes to beautify things and I also don't think everything is great what is shown there.
I hope you manage to go soon, those seals are adorable!
Yeah i hope. A friend of mine lives in Hamburg (he got his second injection on Thursday), so I hope that we can see each other again soon, after 2 years. Stupid pandemic!

That's pretty interesting and a little bit funny. I wanted to write something similar to you about the Hanover Zoo, which is too thematic for me, what you like right now :) for me there is no need for a boat trip in the zoo or a penguin enclosure that looks like a shipwreck or an Indian temple for tigers. But everyone as he / she / it just likes. I think that's really funny, xD you like what I don't like and vice versa. Maybe we should switch our place of residence.

But of course I understand what you mean and I am well aware, that television likes to beautify things and I also don't think everything is great what is shown there.

Yeah i hope. A friend of mine lives in Hamburg (he got his second injection on Thursday), so I hope that we can see each other again soon, after 2 years. Stupid pandemic!
I get the different likes and dislike things, but with Hagenbeck it's more of a critical view on their animal management and financial management that I meant. Would be too simple to limit that to just liking different things.
You'll probably see what I mean when you see it live.
For me the most important part of a zoo is animal welfare and with Hannover it's only the indian section I see in critical need of improvement. With Hagenbeck even the newest sections have noticeable flaws and none of them come down to just theming.

All of the really incredible looking designs with appreciable themes in this thread are really mind-blowing. We certainly don't have anything remotely comparable to any of this in the southeastern US. I think the nicest looking zoo I've been to is Zoo Atlanta, which certainly has the highest budget which shows with how many exotic species they feature and how much care they're given. And while it's probably my favorite zoo, visually it still can't even compare to most of the ones you all are posting.

I don't have any pics handy but I do have some videos of the pandas (including two cubs!) from a visit a while back:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK6SQP87bCE

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xli7bASK76w

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZhpJFoNHzY

They were the only zoo in the US to keep tanukis until both of theirs passed away due to old age earlier this year... I fell in love with those good boys, and they're the reason I want to see tanukis so badly in this game. They're also the only zoo in the US to keep drills as far as I'm aware.

I guess I also need to shout out Riverbanks Zoo in my home state of South Carolina. It's not as robust, but they do have a phenomenal seal/sea lion harbor area. And they're the only zoo I've ever been to that features an Oceanian selection that extends significantly beyond red kangaroos and/or wallabies: they also have koalas, Matschie's tree kangaroos, kookaburras, budgies, and a rainbow lorikeet walkthrough. It's the only place I've ever seen koalas, tree kangaroos, or lorikeets, so major kudos for that.

I am so enjoying this thread and really appreciate the stories and pics that have been shared. It seems like nostalgia for childhood visits is a recurring theme and is no different for me. I haven't had the opportunity to visit a lot of zoos and the soft spot in my heart is for the San Antonio, Texas zoo.

While we did visit the zoo often, my most vivid memories are visiting it with my godfather, Col. Martin Lalor Crimmins. My perspective when he would take me was from the keeper side of the reptile house, which both fascinated and terrified a very young child, lol. I should have been too young to remember those trips to the zoo with him but I do, especially the one where we were delivering a rattlesnake. I remember side-eyeing that container, ready to bolt if it got out, lol.

I doubt any of you are familiar with his name in this day and age but he was a herpetologist and received the Walter Reed Award for his pioneering work in snakebite treatment. He inoculated himself with serum until achieving immunity and then gave blood transfusions to snakebite victims. He was also a kind and gentle man who made time for his godchildren when my brother and I would knock on his door and ask if he could come out to "play".

I very much appreciate a thread that revived my memories and allowed me to share the story of his work with a new generation. I'm also looking forward to seeing more stories and pictures of zoos. This is a win-win thread.

I get the different likes and dislike things, but with Hagenbeck it's more of a critical view on their animal management and financial management that I meant. Would be too simple to limit that to just liking different things.
You'll probably see what I mean when you see it live.
For me the most important part of a zoo is animal welfare and with Hannover it's only the indian section I see in critical need of improvement. With Hagenbeck even the newest sections have noticeable flaws and none of them come down to just theming.
Maybe after my visit I can better understand what you mean. At the moment this is definitely not possible, because I don't have a picture of my own and I'm not someone who likes to be persuaded to be "bad" as long as I haven't seen it myself :) (I also do not hope that you take this as an attack ö.ö is not meant to be angry)
On television it always makes a good impression on me, but yes ... that is television;) By the way, we are on the same animal welfare side, if there is a side. Hannover also does some things for me (how do I think so many other zoos too), where I get a real puke cramp. It starts right at the entrance with the guinea pigs. For me it is not only important to protect the big ones, also the little ones need to be protected, and for that I don't misuse the guinea pigs as a cheap source of food. But that's another topic ;)

But I think we shouldn't spam this thread full xD that's why I don't think it's made. Otherwise we will get even worse from Eltanin xD

All of the really incredible looking designs with appreciable themes in this thread are really mind-blowing. We certainly don't have anything remotely comparable to any of this in the southeastern US. I think the nicest looking zoo I've been to is Zoo Atlanta, which certainly has the highest budget which shows with how many exotic species they feature and how much care they're given. And while it's probably my favorite zoo, visually it still can't even compare to most of the ones you all are posting.

I don't have any pics handy but I do have some videos of the pandas (including two cubs!) from a visit a while back:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK6SQP87bCE

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xli7bASK76w

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZhpJFoNHzY

They were the only zoo in the US to keep tanukis until both of theirs passed away due to old age earlier this year... I fell in love with those good boys, and they're the reason I want to see tanukis so badly in this game. They're also the only zoo in the US to keep drills as far as I'm aware.

I guess I also need to shout out Riverbanks Zoo in my home state of South Carolina. It's not as robust, but they do have a phenomenal seal/sea lion harbor area. And they're the only zoo I've ever been to that features an Oceanian selection that extends significantly beyond red kangaroos and/or wallabies: they also have koalas, Matschie's tree kangaroos, kookaburras, budgies, and a rainbow lorikeet walkthrough. It's the only place I've ever seen koalas, tree kangaroos, or lorikeets, so major kudos for that.

In the UK I know chester has tree kangaroos. And Edinburgh has koalas. Im not sure on the birds I have a weird fear of thing flying around my head so I avoid those areas 🤣. I tried to face my fears before and went in the bat house at Chester. As soon as I walking in one touched my head and I was out of there. Its like they knew 🤣

I'm lucky to live in an area where I have relatively quick access to several amazing zoos, san diego zoo/safari park is an example. But out of all the zoos I've been to here, my favorite has to be The Living Desert Zoo & Gardens in Palm Springs, California.
Crossroads-of-Conservation-Complete.jpg

I just love how they do things there and how strongly they connect not only themselves with their desert surroundings, but with visitors as well, with not only an amazing roster of animals representing deserts in North America, Africa, and recently, Australia, but also with beautiful native plant gardens, a REAL palm oasis, and nature trails, one which takes you right up to the San aAndreas fault.
R (3).jpg

The habitats they have are excellent as well, They honestly have some of the best natural looking habitats I've seen, their giraffe savanna and cheetah habitats are both amazing, and have really inspired how I like to build in planet zoo!
giraf.jpg

They also do a lot of local conservation work in the Colorado desert, whether its their animal hospital or their desert tortoise conservation program, you can really tell they care about an environment that honestly, most people don't see the life in, even though deserts really are one of the most beautiful environments on the planet

I'm incredibly excited to see their new rhino savanna when it opens this fall as well, from the looks of it, its going to be AMAZING

I'm lucky to live in an area where I have relatively quick access to several amazing zoos, san diego zoo/safari park is an example. But out of all the zoos I've been to here, my favorite has to be The Living Desert Zoo & Gardens in Palm Springs, California.
What an amazing Zoo - beautiful looking buildings and Grasslands - thanks for sharing:)

Eltanin Casciani

Community Manager
I very much appreciate a thread that revived my memories and allowed me to share the story of his work with a new generation. I'm also looking forward to seeing more stories and pictures of zoos. This is a win-win thread.
It's really lovely seeing such a warm reception to this, I've been enjoying it a lot too! I also loved reading your story about your relative, and I'm glad this thread has let you reminisce on some good memories

from your photos, this zoo looks absolutely STUNNING

View attachment 258053

I just love how they do things there and how strongly they connect not only themselves with their desert surroundings, but with visitors as well, with not only an amazing roster of animals representing deserts in North America, Africa, and recently, Australia, but also with beautiful native plant gardens, a REAL palm oasis, and nature trails, one which takes you right up to the San aAndreas fault.
View attachment 258054

The habitats they have are excellent as well, They honestly have some of the best natural looking habitats I've seen, their giraffe savanna and cheetah habitats are both amazing, and have really inspired how I like to build in planet zoo!
View attachment 258055
They also do a lot of local conservation work in the Colorado desert, whether its their animal hospital or their desert tortoise conservation program, you can really tell they care about an environment that honestly, most people don't see the life in, even though deserts really are one of the most beautiful environments on the planet

I'm incredibly excited to see their new rhino savanna when it opens this fall as well, from the looks of it, its going to be AMAZING
I have always wanted to visit this place. One of the things that I love the most about it is that, being based near the Mojave and Sonoran deserts, they as an institution understand that jaguars, until very recently, inhabited both of these deserts within the borders of the U.S, and that jaguars are as much desert animals as they are tropical rainforest animals, and they display their habitat as such, as rocky desert habitat. Unfortunately, PZ has chosen to ignore me asking (since last August) for the desert biome to be added to the jaguar, American bison, and pronghorn. Which I don't understand because I recommended the desert biome be added to animals like the cheetah and ostrich, and they did that. Even did the research for them. I don't get it, but I'm not going to stop asking.
Zoo map

Last edited:
Top Bottom