Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

the-fast-how.gif

That's a tad unlikely don't you think? But I am a software developer, and I don't really care whether you believe me or not. 🤷‍♀️

Noted. Apologies for being a turdhammer, whatever that is.

I just know that a large team of people taking a week to fix one (on the face of it simple, but maybe it isn't, I don't know the codebase) bug would raise eyebrows to say the least.
It seems like it's an intermittent problem- would flipping the switch on something like that not just give it to the players currently unaffected by it (or something of that nature)?

I don't know what people would do with this information if I gave it, to be honest.
It's asked a lot and it baffles me a bit. Is it so people can use it as a negative reaction somehow? I hope not.
It certiainly isn't an answer that would help any of the current situation, is all I'm saying :)
Hey Sally, your comments here are always great to read! As you appear to be asking why some in the community would be interested in knowing how many people are working on Elite, here's some thoughts. First though, I agree, I suspect most people fully realise that the answer to the question won't help improve the current situation (things are moving at the best pace they already can after all).

So, I suspect some people feel that team size is a reflection of how Frontier as a company view the Elite project internally, as it's a statement of the amount of resources being put towards the game. :) For example, rightly or wrongly, a team of 30 to 50 might be viewed as "maintaining and bug fixing, along with small content updates", a team of 200 might be viewed as "long term development on an ongoing project, with significant plans".

Whether or not anyone turns that into a negative will depend on a lot of things. But even if you said 500 people are working on Elite, some people would still turn it into a negative. There's always going to be negative people.

Bottom line, I guess when people hear other studios giving this type of information (Warframe = ~250, Microsoft Flight Simulator = ~500, Star Citizen / Squadron 42 = ~600), those same people just wonder where Elite stands in the scheme of things. I don't suppose it's about being negative, but rather about getting a grasp on the scale of Frontier's long term vision and commitment to Elite Dangerous. When people invest 100's and even 1000's of hours into a game, I feel that's a completely understandable question to have.

So, essentially, despite your 30 years as a 'developer' you don't actually know how to fix the code in ED as you know nothing about it?
Is that right?

Otherwise, get in touch, they need a pure genius to get the game fixed and the console release out (y)

It's not rocket science you know. And yes, I know absolutely nothing about the E: D codebase, other than it sounds like an absolute nightmare to work with. Glad I don't. 🤷‍♀️

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
But even if you said 500 people are working on Elite, some people would still turn it into a negative. There's always going to be negative people.
Ohhhhh OA, you don't need to explain that one to me, for sure. Hehe.

Bottom line, I guess when people hear other studios giving this type of information (Warframe = ~250, Microsoft Flight Simulator = ~500, Star Citizen / Squadron 42 = ~600), those same people just wonder where Elite stands in the scheme of things.
Of course, and I appreciate that totally. I'm not shirking this at all and think that - when time and ability allows - we should absolutely share more on the make up of the devs with you all. REALLY love the idea of bringing the streams back and so on where they're in there and chatting and awesome stuff like that to allow you all to get more of a feel for who's on project. I guess the current climate and focus really does impact this right now - but oh my gosh it's a plan we want to action as soon as we can.

Hey Sally, your comments here are always great to read! As you appear to be asking why some in the community would be interested in knowing how many people are working on Elite, here's some thoughts. First though, I agree, I suspect most people fully realise that the answer to the question won't help improve the current situation (things are moving at the best pace they already can after all).

So, I suspect some people feel that team size is a reflection of how Frontier as a company view the Elite project internally, as it's a statement of the amount of resources being put towards the game. :) For example, rightly or wrongly, a team of 30 to 50 might be viewed as "maintaining and bug fixing, along with small content updates", a team of 200 might be viewed as "long term development on an ongoing project, with significant plans".

Whether or not anyone turns that into a negative will depend on a lot of things. But even if you said 500 people are working on Elite, some people would still turn it into a negative. There's always going to be negative people.

Bottom line, I guess when people hear other studios giving this type of information (Warframe = ~250, Microsoft Flight Simulator = ~500, Star Citizen / Squadron 42 = ~600), those same people just wonder where Elite stands in the scheme of things. I don't suppose it's about being negative, but rather about getting a grasp on the scale of Frontier's long term vision and commitment to Elite Dangerous. When people invest 100's and even 1000's of hours into a game, I feel that's a completely understandable question to have.
I agree. That's the only (and most important) evaluation i'd do with that information.

I don't know what people would do with this information if I gave it, to be honest.
Drag it up repeatedly over the coming years and use it either as an excuse or cudgel to beat Frontier when something bad/good happens.

Pretty much the same as the forum did when someone mentioned years ago that 100+ devs were working on ED at the time.
It's asked a lot and it baffles me a bit. Is it so people can use it as a negative reaction somehow? I hope not.
Yes it's exactly for that reason.
It certiainly isn't an answer that would help any of the current situation, is all I'm saying :)
Indeed.

I really would be worried if a team of 500 needed a week to fix one bug and halt all else to do so ... so you're right there!

Tbh I'm a little concerned that a team of 100 need to do so.
I don't think ALL relevant Elite Dangerous developers will be working on this one issue for a week.
It will take ~1 week to fix this issue, which they want to include in the next update. Not everyone will be assigned to this issue, though. While some people work on that, others can fix other issues.

I do indeed know it isn't rocket science...

I also know I didn't write their code, have know working knowledge of whatever version of COBRA EDO contains, and wouldn't be oafish enough to pretend I know otherwise 🤷‍♂️

In most software, the code is very simple. KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) is a mantra that I've followed my whole life. Simple code is easy to fix, and usually has fewer bugs to begin with if you keep everything atomic.

On the face of it, this bug (something unintended & unrelated happening when the user clicks a button) seems simple enough, even without knowing the codebase.

Sally has pointed out that it's not that simple, and I've accepted that and retracted it, so I'm not sure why I'm still being attacked from all sides and people questioning my credentials. It's like I've attacked them personally or something by questioning the timeframe. It's a very weird phenomenon. Someone should do a psych study.

Anyway, crack on... 🤷‍♀️

Those people also hold NMS up with its dozen or so devs. It's frankly just stupid to argue a game is in 'maintenance' mode if it has less than [wholly arbitrary number] of staff. Besides, when FD said 100+ people were working on ED these people just started yelling FD was lying.

Asking for plans or vision is understandable. Asking for number of staff is not.

In most software, the code is very simple. KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) is a mantra that I've followed my whole life. Simple code is easy to fix, and usually has fewer bugs to begin with if you keep everything atomic.

On the face of it, this bug (something unintended & unrelated happening when the user clicks a button) seems simple enough, even without knowing the codebase.

Sally has pointed out that it's not that simple, and I've accepted that and retracted it, so I'm not sure why I'm still being attacked from all sides and people questioning my credentials. It's like I've attacked them personally or something by questioning the timeframe. It's a very weird phenomenon. Someone should do a psych study.

Anyway, crack on... 🤷‍♀️
Happy days... Back to the forum fallback then... We are all mad, no?

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
I really would be worried if a team of 500 needed a week to fix one bug and halt all else to do so ... so you're right there!

Tbh I'm a little concerned that a team of 100 need to do so.

I am so sorry at how often I need to remind people that not everyone on a team/in a studio is capable of fixing any issue.

Top Bottom