Side-by Side video of Horizons vs. Odyssey now: Which seems like the Upgrade?

i´m still puzzled how they managed to downgrade the performance and the visuals at the same time.
if it weren´t for a game i love, i would laugh and walk away.
but i´m sure they will fix it.
unless it is working as intended, and that´s how the game is supposed to look now.
so some clarification would be really nice.

What are people's theories on why Odyssey looks worse than Horizons? Is it down to the switch to pixel based rendering (PBR) I've heard talk of? I don't really know anything about it but in general I'd say colours, shadows and lighting all look worse. Have FD simply implemented PBR badly? Or is PBR only good at traditional close up fps type surfaces? Dare I say it, have FD sacrificed the look of their space game for the sake of good looking trousers?

What are people's theories on why Odyssey looks worse than Horizons? Is it down to the switch to pixel based rendering (PBR) I've heard talk of? I don't really know anything about it but in general I'd say colours, shadows and lighting all look worse. Have FD simply implemented PBR badly? Or is PBR only good at traditional close up fps type surfaces? Dare I say it, have FD sacrificed the look of their space game for the sake of good looking trousers?
It’s Physically Based Rendering - and I think in-game materials “just” need tweaking to get the right look 😁

We should eventually end up with much more realistic looking environments, but it looks to me like there’s a fair bit of work to do - even stuff as simple as my Cobra’s paint job need sorting out; the black and red now looks like a sort of brown and red because the black bits are reflecting light differently.

Here's some images first Horizons (not from the current Odyssey build BTW)

58pjbPm.png

Odyssey

Td4NL2U.png

Other than differing star and ship internal brightness the difference isn't huge and after all isn't space meant to be dark(er)? ;)

Odyssey looks better... noting i didn't read which was which before watching the video so i couldn't prejudice.

Horizons was just.... leeens flaaaare eeeeverywheeere.

It’s Physically Based Rendering - and I think in-game materials “just” need tweaking to get the right look 😁

We should eventually end up with much more realistic looking environments, but it looks to me like there’s a fair bit of work to do - even stuff as simple as my Cobra’s paint job need sorting out; the black and red now looks like a sort of brown and red because the black bits are reflecting light differently.
Yes - the things they've updated for it look pretty good, the things they haven't updated for it look somewhere between ok and terrible depending on how lucky you get.

One of the big "Odyssey was in fact released unfinished and they knew it" tells is just how much of the texturing hasn't been updated and was/is being fixed in subsequent patches.

Hold on. The "frosted" glass effect is gone?
It's not gone but it's way more subtle than it used to be to the point of almost being invisible.

It's not gone but it's way more subtle than it used to be to the point of almost being invisible.
Wow. Such an odd change to make. I've only just come back so I haven't tried stuff like that yet. It's very frustrating because whenever I'd show off the game to friends I'd show them what happens when they'd turn off all modules in the ship (cockpit freezes over). It feels really immersive in VR or when sitting in a simpit.

Not gonna lie... this upsets me more than all of the Odyssey bugs I've encountered. I can deal with bugs.

Yes - the things they've updated for it look pretty good, the things they haven't updated for it look somewhere between ok and terrible depending on how lucky you get.

One of the big "Odyssey was in fact released unfinished and they knew it" tells is just how much of the texturing hasn't been updated and was/is being fixed in subsequent patches.
For me one of my biggest annoyances is the general lack of attention to detail- checking models were human scale (and not have jumbo stairs), making sure each paintjob, decal and anything paid for looks as it should.

PBR may be the way forward technically, bit its proven that in many situations its also a step back artistically as the previous posts have shown- not to mention upping the PC requirements to boot.

The OP has a Horizons burning station thats chaotic, hard to see across, while EDO has......green patches and a few houses with log burning stoves. How FD thought that was good is beyond me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom