Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 8 / Horizons Update | 27 October discussion

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
The Colonia on-foot engineers are not unlocking.

They are greyed out, and stay that way after jumping to another system, re-logging and restarting the client.

Trying to complete the unlock requirement doesn't help, I'm already Allied with the Colonia Council (needs Friendly), have visted 7 settlements in the Colonia system (needs 5) since the patch went live, and have sold 10 Cocktail Recipes. Nothing changed.View attachment 271219
Gotcha, thank you.

The Colonia on-foot engineers are not unlocking.

They are greyed out, and stay that way after jumping to another system, re-logging and restarting the client.

Trying to complete the unlock requirement doesn't help, I'm already Allied with the Colonia Council (needs Friendly), have visted 7 settlements in the Colonia system (needs 5) since the patch went live, and have sold 10 Cocktail Recipes. Nothing changed.
Did you try to get into your ship and relog? I remember the bubble engineers needed that.

sorry to say, settlment missions stuttering not resolved for me. before patch 8 i had stutterings to 0fps in certain settlements only, others worked flawless. No i have stutterings in the first two sttlement missions i have done so far, not as bad as before and not so long, but worse enough that i cannot react in time. in this conditions my CPU load increases and the cpu fan going highspeed. same as before patch 8. this was introduced for me with patch 7 und not resolved in patch 8 :-((. (3700X, RTX3060TI, 1440p, 32GB RAM)

can't use emote wheel (toggle) in hub. I need to use mouse 1 (activate) or 2 (abort), but it's not possible. I am stuck in the selection wheel (can only jump to things and back to emotes) till I change the key bind. Buttons set to Hold works. Same for tool menu.

The inside hub menu works fine with toggle.

Last edited:
On-foot mission board is now offering "space" Materials as rewards?

Attachments

• patch 8 mats.jpg
    patch 8 mats.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 138
Performance is much better but there is a new issue on settlements where when walking, the framerate stutters. It doesn't happen in stations though, so not sure what that is.

Last edited:
Some problems with the new Engineers:

1. I gave Rosa Dayette 10 Manufacturing Instructions to get the referral to her linked Engineer. (Probably Yi Shen?) The instructions were removed, but the bar didn't move, and I didn't get any unlock - even after relogging, jumping to another system, and relogging again. The interface still says 0/10 Manufacturing Instructions, but the data have been spent.

2. Baltanos is supposed to need a Friendly relationship with the Colonia Council minor faction. I'm at Allied (achieved before Update 8), and I didn't get access to him.
Update to mention it here as well: I completed a mission for the Colonia Council, and still don't have the invite.

Last edited:
It appears this update introduced an issue in which stations can take a few seconds to pop in after dropping out at them.
Same for carrier.

Most annoying FPS drop was fixed though, after DOCKING to any station I had 30-40 fps in space until full game restart at 7th update. Now all is good. Station -> hyperspace and back to 200 fps. Station itself is 95 fps up from 62 too.

So... I'm just here to say that I have nothing to say except that everything has remained the same except for the following two things;

- The NPC's lips move again (bravo)

- The EMOTES work (bravo)

Apart from that, the FPS are still the same (good in space, bad on stations), the decals on the flight suits are still not showing and... ah, I don't really feel the need for writing any more things as I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who was just wondering if the update really worked or maybe I'm still playing version 7 by mistake.... oh well.

So as I said, for me 8 is like 7, except that I no longer have the feeling of having a mupped in front of me when I talk to an NPC... and as for all the other, maybe great changes - I'll probably never get to see them, because even with 8 I have no reason to leave my ship. But it was a nice try.

o7

From the other thread:

First quick impression at 1060 Ti/High/1080p:
  • Performance in a surface port concourse went up from 25-30 FPS to 40-55 FPS.
  • Performance in a surface port docking bay is unchanged and hovers around 57-58 FPS.
  • Performance in a Coriolis docking bay is unchanged, still ~60 FPS.
  • Performance in a Coriolis concourse is unchanged, still ~40 FPS.
    • Performance at Low settings is unchanged, still 50-55 FPS.
  • CPU and GPU utilisation are unchanged and still very high.
  • Performance in a foot CZ of a small non-Agricultural/Extraction settlement seems slightly more stable, but still gives ~30-35 FPS on both Low and High settings.
The general stutters while going through the mail slot, approaching a surface, etc. haven't disappeared. As far as I've seen none of the reported lighting issues with regards to visual fidelity have been alleviated, but judging by the patch notes most of the work seems to have been done under the hood.

I have yet to test regular settlement missions and in particular Agricultural/Extraction settlements to see if the 1 FPS freezing is still occurring.

I'm going to say that I haven't noticed much improvement performance-wise. It's even worse in some instances. I just tried to leave planetary port and while flying away from the planet my FPS dropped to 1-5 range and stayed there, while CPU and GPU usage was all over the place. Previously I had those weird drops when trying to gain altitude before going into SC, but rarely that big and usually it ended after few seconds (or caused CTD pre update 7). Not this time. Barely managed to exit to main menu.
Shadows while docked inside hangar are still ugly, jiggly blobs. Stations need a second to appear after dropping from SC.

Top Bottom