3rd Penguin

If we got a 3rd penguin (seems unlikely) what should it be? I was thinking that there’s three main categories they can go in: a crested penguin like the rockhopper, a small Antarctic penguin like the adelie or gentoo or the little blue penguin. What do you guys think? I personally wouldn’t hate any of them but I think I’d love a crested penguin the most

I would prefer the little blue penguin as it increases the Oceanian lineup. It’s common in zoos in the region and is also very cute.

30F399F0-70A9-4907-A265-8F5B3865FB2A.jpeg

I’m also torn between the Little Blue or a Rockhopper Penguin. As above post,I think any other penguin is too visually similar to what we have now

Rockhoppers get my vote, but I also wouldn't be upset about little blues. Honestly, though, I don't think a third penguin should really be a priority overall. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but the two we have provide a nice enough variety and we can realistically expect only so many more animals.

Although a third penguin is not a priority for me, I think that the Rockhopper Penguin would be the most different visually, but I would be fine with the blue penguin too since they are very important is Oceanian zoos.

I feel its fairly common for zoos to keep multiple species, often in mixed colonies.

My personal favourite are Little Blue, but I think Rockhopper or Macaroni would probably be more likely and visually distinct?

Could see a case for Adelie too.

I would go with the little blue--they're increasingly common in zoos outside Australia and are adorable. If not them, then a second Antarctic/sub-Antarctic penguin that could live in mixed exhibits with the king penguin; the likeliest candidate would be gentoo penguin.

I would pick Macaroni penguins, they are as cool as the rockhopper but they breed in the Antarctic peninsula, and getting a proper Antarctic animal would be great. My second choice would be Adelie, chinstrap or gentoo penguins.
The only penguins I would NOT want are emperor or Magellanic/Humboldt's as they are too similar to the two we already have.

Top Bottom