Valve Index or HP Reverb G2

Hi all

I am in a position where I can now afford one or the other and would appreciate any feedback from users.

My Quest 2 was OK but I now want something better so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I had a Reverb and I sold.
Today I have the quest 2. With supersampling and wireless I would not get another one.

cheers

anything with native steam support has a wide range of compatibility since it's supported in windows and linux thru steam. While oculus has little to no such cross OS support.

Something to consider if you aren't windows-only.

The author of the topic is not asking about a simple Reverb, but about Reverb G2. That's a big difference.
It was the G2.
1642738785588.png

The valve is actually a step down in resolution compared to the quest 2 so if your looking for better res the g2 would be the way to go but the valve has better FOV at 140 compared to the 110 of the quest and G2. Youll need a top of the line system to run the G2 though.

I run a G2, things to consider (not an extensive list, but just what I can think of at the moment):
1. G2 is outside in tracking, so you don't need external base station equipment
2. You will definately need a high spec graphics card to get anywhere need the G2's 4k capabilities of resolution (i'm running with Radeon RX 6900 XT and wouldn't be happy with anything less ie Radeon RX 6800 XT (my previous card) or Nvidia RTX 3080). And you'll need to tweek your systems settings to get maximum performance, if you have all this I can definately recommend the G2
3. Make sure your getting the v2 cable, the v1 was/is glitchy/didn't work with x570 motherboards (this is an AMD CPU board issue only, no problems with Intel CPU boards). I got a free cable upgrade from HP Support withing a few days. Cable is 6mm thick and quite stiff + G2 doesn't have a WiFi option
4. In dark conditions the G2's tracking can sometimes stutter, this is not a major problem but can sometimes happen
5. You can buy the G2 as a headset only version, just depends if you will play other games that use hand controllers (EDO doesn't use hand controllers)
6. G2's over ear headphones are really good sound quality, built in microphone works well
7. G2's head strap is easy to adjust and the face mask is very comfortable. Headset is relatively light weight
8. G2 has variable IPD adjustment, not stepped like the Quest 2
9. I've not had an issue with standard FOV. I did buy an aftermarket face mask, which brings your eyes closer to the lenses, but didn't like it and couldn't really see the difference
10. You can also get aftermarket myopia lens from "vroptition.com" that fit over the standard lenses. You can wear glasses with the headset but its not that comfortable and wouldn't recommend.
11. G2 build quality is good, and I've not had any problems with the unit
12. Don't pay too much I've seen G2 with 2x controllers on Amazon at just less than £500, now running at about £550. Keep watching for price drops.

Last edited:
I had the original Rift but I got the G2 more for the image quality and also for the IPD adjustment, at 68mm IPD I was outside of the range for any of the new Oculus HMDs and a new Vive was almost twice the price of a G2. I've not had any issues with the tracking but I mostly sim anyway. I have played other games in VR with little to no tracking problems like Fallout 4 (i used to get terrible motion sickness in the Rift but not the G2) and Beat Sabre.

I have had my G2 for 4 days now and can honestly say I am happy with my choice.

I got the G2 V2 which has the new cable and also the face adaptor so the FOV is a lot better than the original G2 and didn't have to get an aftermarket one :)

I have had my G2 for 4 days now and can honestly say I am happy with my choice.

I got the G2 V2 which has the new cable and also the face adaptor so the FOV is a lot better than the original G2 and didn't have to get an aftermarket one :)
Congratulation on joining the VR club.
If you don't mind me asking how much did you have to pay for the G2?
What system specs are you running?

I bought mine new from the UK distributor and it was £620 delivered.

Ryzen 5-3600 - OC all core 4.4MHz
32GB Ram
2070 Super OC.

I cannot recommend the G2 enough. The picture quality and clarity is great. If you are seated player and mostly fly in sims, this is the way to go. I have had it since the release, my system originally ran RTX3070 and it was OK, recently I have upgraded to 6900XT and it is smooth as cats fur...

And the sound from those speakers is great....

I also use it to play Pistol Whip and Synth Riders - works like a charm.

I am over the moon with it.

Took a bit of setting up with the WMR and SteamVR but now it is so much clearer than my Quest 2 and really smooth.

I don't have the money for more than one headset. I swapped my CV1 for a G2. I made a stupid mistake. I put on my new headset and Elite looked ultra wonderful. I thought "Jesus Christ!". It's a massive step up from my previous headset, but the game was totally unplayable... a series of picture postcards

What I did was forget that I no longer needed supersampling. Once I dropped the resolution the game was more playable. All it did was make me hanker for a beefier graphics card, which is a bit of a downer in this current climate

So maybe a supersampled Facebook Quest 2 headset looks just as good as an unsampled HP Reverb G2, but what about if the G2 was also supersampled?

Of course folks may not have the power to supersample the G2. But then that brings up the question about whether you expect your headset to last as long as the next time you upgrade your graphics card

Top Bottom