Golden jackals or dholes could be in game?

Credit to Rasmus Winter for researching some of this. Thezookeeper zone newsletter showed a paw print of what could be a Golden Jackals. Some research has hinted towards a dhole but haven't been able to confirm what their paw prints look like. We can make this discussion because the middle toes are fused together. A feature that wolves do not have. We can either pass this as a forgivable mistake of a wolves poor or an intentional feature. Thoughts?

Last edited:
No canine has fused digits, although the jackal is I guess slightly at the base like the picture here are some references... I think they call is a cloven paw pad.

Attachments

• 2-Figure1-1.png
    2-Figure1-1.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 1,191
Last edited:
No canine has fused digits, although the jackal is I guess slightly at the base like the picture here are some references... I think they call is a cloven paw pad.
Just want to point out that fused paw pads may appear in canines through mutation as seen in some dogs.
l_9c6ffd28c680eb4fbf15f2f61cb27563.jpg

Just want to point out that fused paw pads may appear in canines through mutation as seen in some dogs.

Yeah I think from what I've read though, its a genetic thing that's why its called a cloven paw? I could be wrong though just what I researched :)

Credit to Rasmus Winter for researching some of this. Thezookeeper zone newsletter showed a paw print of what could be a Golden Jackals. Some research has hinted towards a dhole but haven't been able to confirm what their paw prints look like. We can make this discussion because the middle toes are fused together. A feature that wolves do not have. We can either pass this as a forgivable mistake of a wolves poor or an intentional feature. Thoughts?
View attachment 132664View attachment 132665View attachment 132666View attachment 132667

Just want to point out, Maned wolves are a strong possibility as well! They have the fused center pawpads and are in a lot of zoos! :D

Aside from their unique paws, they have a unique smell that comes from their urine! Highly compared to the smell of a skunk xD

Last edited:
Just want to point out, Maned wolves are a strong possibility as well! They have the fused center pawpads and are in a lot of zoos! :D
View attachment 134619
Aside from their unique paws, they have a unique smell that comes from their urine! Highly compared to the smell of a skunk xD
I seen the Maned Wolf many of times at the Phoenix Zoo and I must say they do smell like a skunk. 😅

Zoorope%2CREBECCABENHAM%2CChrysocyonbrachyurusesMyrmecophagatridactyla%2CPhoenixZoo.bmp

Last edited:
I seen the Maned Wolf many of times at the Phoenix Zoo and I must say they do smell like a skunk. 😅

Zoorope%2CREBECCABENHAM%2CChrysocyonbrachyurusesMyrmecophagatridactyla%2CPhoenixZoo.bmp

Don't you mean like skunk without the a ;)

I know Blijdorp (Rotterdam) used to have regular visits from the police because there where reports of a possible illegal hemp nursery.

Too bad the animal isn't there anymore in Blijdorp. What a beautiful animal to see (if he showed himself).

Is the paw not from the African Wild Dog?

Found this about the African Wild Dog.
The African wild dog, also called Cape hunting dog or painted dog, typically roams the open plains and sparse woodlands of sub-Saharan Africa.
These long-legged canines have only four toes per foot, unlike other dogs, which have five toes on their forefeet. The dog's Latin name means “painted wolf,” referring to the animal's irregular, mottled coat, which features patches of red, black, brown, white, and yellow fur. Each animal has its own unique coat pattern, and all have big, rounded ears.

Last edited:
Top Bottom