Planet Zoo: Barnyard Animal Pack | Announce

Alpacas are arguably llamas crossbred with vicunas, according to some mixed genetic studies
Yeah, their ancestry is a bit of a mystery even with genetics because, at the very least, alpacas are definitely extensively crossbred with llamas, with around 30% of their genome originating from them. The other main theory is that they're domesticated vicunas that later hybridised with llamas (potentially as a result of the impacts of Spanish colonisation) rather than the other way around.

I didn’t intervene previously as I saw no point in doing so, since pretty much everything I think has been said and repeated.
A petting zoo pack was the most unnecessary to me, we don’t really have those in Spain. However, as I’m not heavily invested in the game anymore, I don’t care that much as if I still was. I like the cattle breed picked though, better than the generic cow that one would expect from the typical ripoff mobile game. Hay bales were something I needed too.

Now, moving on to the point of my comment, I got a question. Which pack do you think will be paired with this one for console edition? I’d say the conservation pack seems like a perfect fit. Furthermore, even if we have uneven packs now, it doesn’t mean it needs to be paired only with a post console release DLCs (if we get any more, that is). They just said there’d be 14 packs arriving to console not to reveal the final amount of packs planned, even though I’m surprised they didn’t make the pass more expensive.

I don’t know if pack pairs have been talked in the forums already. What I’m trying to elaborate: the SA (which is odd to me that it wasn’t the first to be added) and tropical packs could be paired together or with…you know what I mean. With Wetlands+Grasslands, Europe+NA and Aquatic+Twilight out of the way, for the remaining mixes Australia+Oceania seem obvious and perhaps Africa+Arid. Watch today’s stream make me look like a fool though 🙈 as the thematic cohesion wasn’t there with the latest one.

As we await today's livestream (or tomorrow morning's for me, seeing it's at 2:30 am - lucky I can sleep in tomorrow!), I thought I'd throw a little appreciation towards the alpaca, one of the least discussed of the new additions but my favourite amongst the ungulates (chicken is king). I'm quite fond of camelids in general, both wild and domestic, and this species is the standard "petting zoo" camelid in my experience - they're smaller, softer and more gentle than llamas, and here at least they also tend to be a lot more common in captivity to boot (I only saw llamas IRL for the first time last year). I've been to many a zoo with a little children's corner housing alpacas alongside goats, chickens, rabbits and occasionally fallow deer and macropods, so they'll be great for the kind of realistic builds I like to do. I also just learnt today that Australia apparently has the largest (and still rapidly growing) population of alpacas outside of Peru, recently breaching 400,000 individuals, which explains why I see them so much when driving through the countryside nowadays!

Alpacas_in_field_22_N21_2213x.jpg

AdobeStock_386122630-scaled.jpeg
2021-06-17.jpg

A couple images comparing alpacas with our old llama friends...

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL2FscGFjYS1sbGFtYS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOiIxMjAwIn19fQ==

alpacas%20vs%20llamas.jpg

Also surprised, given the specificity of some of the breeds here (what is an "American standard donkey" lol), that it wasn't specified what alpaca we are getting. There's two main kinds that look quite distinct from one another, and thankfully we're getting the much more common of the two.

alpaca+barn+.png
I live both animals very much but your post taught me some things I didn't know. But aren't Alpacas used to protect sheeps as well? If my info is correct (and pelase do correct me if I'm wrong) they keep foxes away.
I am very happy the Alpaca will be included in the game, even if it is discussed super contoversial.

So which biome do you think each animal will have?

Sussex chicken: grasslands, temperate
Highland cattle: temperate, taiga
Alpine goat: temperate, taiga
Alpaca: grasslands, temperate, taiga
American standard donkey: grasslands, temperate, desert?
Hill Radnor sheep: grasslands, temperate
Tamworth pig: grasslands, temperate

This is the first time that the Spring dlc has no tropical animals after getting South America, South East Asia, Wetlands and Tropical DLCs in previous Springs.

I live both animals very much but your post taught me some things I didn't know. But aren't Alpacas used to protect sheeps as well? If my info is correct (and pelase do correct me if I'm wrong) they keep foxes away.
Yeah they are and I believe they're effective with things like foxes, but they tend not to be as good as llamas when it comes to larger predators like coyotes or dingoes. Which makes sense, given they're smaller and more timid.

I am very happy the Alpaca will be included in the game, even if it is discussed super contoversial.
I'm just realizing that llamas are donkeys to sheep as alpacas are sheep themselves (metaphorically).
Donkeys are actually used as guards for livestock as well; apparently coyotes are afraid of them, which is very interesting to me.
They can be used as an alternative to dogs, although dogs are, of course, more effects of keeping away predators. But donkeys are know to stand their ground when there's a threat, although they won't go patrolling their territory

As we await today's livestream (or tomorrow morning's for me, seeing it's at 2:30 am - lucky I can sleep in tomorrow!), I thought I'd throw a little appreciation towards the alpaca, one of the least discussed of the new additions but my favourite amongst the ungulates (chicken is king). I'm quite fond of camelids in general, both wild and domestic, and this species is the standard "petting zoo" camelid in my experience - they're smaller, softer and more gentle than llamas, and here at least they also tend to be a lot more common in captivity to boot (I only saw llamas IRL for the first time last year). I've been to many a zoo with a little children's corner housing alpacas alongside goats, chickens, rabbits and occasionally fallow deer and macropods, so they'll be great for the kind of realistic builds I like to do. I also just learnt today that Australia apparently has the largest (and still rapidly growing) population of alpacas outside of Peru, recently breaching 400,000 individuals, which explains why I see them so much when driving through the countryside nowadays!

Alpacas_in_field_22_N21_2213x.jpg

AdobeStock_386122630-scaled.jpeg
2021-06-17.jpg

A couple images comparing alpacas with our old llama friends...

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL2FscGFjYS1sbGFtYS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOiIxMjAwIn19fQ==

alpacas%20vs%20llamas.jpg

Also surprised, given the specificity of some of the breeds here (what is an "American standard donkey" lol), that it wasn't specified what alpaca we are getting. There's two main kinds that look quite distinct from one another, and thankfully we're getting the much more common of the two.

alpaca+barn+.png
I really like the alpaca. My only problem is that now I would prefer if instead of the llama (domestic, from the Andes) our second South American camelid were the guanaco (wild, also representing the Patagonia).

However... Australia has 400.000 alpacas!?? It seems that country learnt nothing from their invasive dromedaries 😭

However... Australia has 400.000 alpacas!?? It seems that country learnt nothing from their invasive dromedaries 😭
Haha, I prefer them to sheep at least, which are more destructive than the dromedaries ever were (and we have 79 million sheep). Alpacas are more resource efficient than sheep, their meat is healthier, their wool is finer and their soft padded feet cause less erosion and soil compaction - given Australia has no native ungulates, hoofstock just existing here can impact soil and vegetation massively with their hard feet, but it's not as much of an issue with alpacas and other camelids. They're kinda just Sheep But Better.

Last edited:
I mean, y'all gotta admit that it's impressive the details people have done using controllers instead of mouse and keyboard. I know that I'd struggle with console; it's already somewhat tedious on computer
Modern consoles support mouse and keyboard, so I can only hope/assume that Planet Zoo makes use of that and that's how people are primarily playing the game because yeah doing anything in this game with a controller sounds like a fool's errand

Modern consoles support mouse and keyboard, so I can only hope/assume that Planet Zoo makes use of that and that's how people are primarily playing the game because yeah doing anything in this game with a controller sounds like a fool's errand
Yeah, I know mouse and keyboard is supported for most consoles, but not everyone likes to use it. It's very hard to build in JWE 2 with an Xbox controller, talking from experience, so if console players aren't using a mouse and keyboard, they have real skill

Top Bottom