In 2020, be sure!

I still have faith. :D

On the other hand, I've come to realize that Developer years are about two to three times the length of normal "human" years. So Frontier can still hit all the checkboxes on Elite's 10 year plan by 2030 and still be on track in terms of developer years.

I hope Braben and Frontier take a lessen from Hello Games (makers of No Man's Sky) who have in two years made and surpassed most of their promises!

I hope Braben and Frontier take a lessen from Hello Games (makers of No Man's Sky) who have in two years made and surpassed most of their promises!

Well one studio is on a redemption arc to make the best space game they can after a bad launch. The other studio had a good launch and decided to drip feed and milk their player base for as long as possible. Think about it, a 10 plus man studio is able to accomplish more in two years compared to a team of 200 plus in 4 years. A consequence of a live service based game I suppose.

Guest193293

G
Building on what we already have...

Sure would like to know what those devs are working on, sure would be nice to get some sort of progress report, years after they got the money. That would probably go down pretty well & would give the community something to talk about instead of the problems.

Like if it would change anything, bad seeds will remain bad seeds.
First, if one talk most of the time or constantly about problems then there is a (mind) issue, it's not normal.
And second, because of the above, there is little chance that it change whatever Frontier announce.

I feel some salt in your post, am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like if it would change anything, bad seeds will remain bad seeds.
First, if one talk most of the time or constantly about problems then there is a (mind) issue, it's not normal.
And second, because of the above, there is little chance that it change whatever Frontier announce.

I do taste some salt in your post, am I right?
He's not completely wrong after all.
We're left without any kind of information on what's supposed to come in the near nor in the far future. We can't even speculate anymore. The first April update broke more than what it fixed and there's almost no FDEV presence in the forum.

He's not completely wrong after all.
We're left without any kind of information on what's supposed to come in the near nor in the far future. We can't even speculate anymore. The first April update broke more than what it fixed and there's almost no FDEV presence in the forum.

I'm sure that this will unleash all the "I'm playing everyday" people, but I'm pretty sure that this is the "quietest" period (in terms of dev engagement/communication and "hype in the air" so to speak) since the game launched -- esp. now that DW2 is over.

And without appealing to the infamous Steam charts I think it's not too much of a leap to say that it consequently is also one of the quietest periods in terms of active players. And I do not see this improving in any way over the course of the next 6 months.

Frontier is clearly confident enough in the 2020 content that they believe all those who leave the game now will flock back to try (and buy) the new expansion. Time will tell if their wager was right.

I'm sure that this will unleash all the "I'm playing everyday" people, but I'm pretty sure that this is the "quietest" period (in terms of dev engagement/communication and "hype in the air" so to speak) since the game launched -- esp. now that DW2 is over.

And without appealing to the infamous Steam charts I think it's not too much of a leap to say that it consequently is also one of the quietest periods in terms of active players. And I do not see this improving in any way over the course of the next 6 months.

Frontier is clearly confident enough in the 2020 content that they believe all those who leave the game now will flock back to try (and buy) the new expansion. Time will tell if their wager was right.

I haven't launched Elite since the infamous announcement, actually I am considering uninstalling because I just don't feel like launching it - despite I've bought a Rift last Autumn just for this game (which I am now considering selling too). Hell, I just realized when I type 'forum' into the browser, not the another game's forum is autofilled.

Given space legs was not on my wishlist, I am not excited for the extension at all, which BTW I expect to be late given FDev's track record, so make it early 2021. I will probably come back to Elite though, but only if will continue to support VR.

Deleted member 38366

D
A DB Video?

Here's the obligatory "Amazing" vs. "Exciting" analysis ;)
Amazing : 2
Exciting : 10
AEpM rating (Amazings/Excitings per Minute) : 1.44

Could listen to David talking for hours, this guy really is passionate.

Me too. Shame it feels like he is not involved anymore.

If he were still involved, by that I mean actively communicating with the playerbase, it might defray some of the criticism from current "problems" with the game. NB: I use the parenthesis around problems as some of the gripes mooted in here are about stuff that is working as intended by the developer, but not to the liking of the players. However in my mind I think the long delay for the big launch of the much vaunted revolutionary 2020 update, can only indicate one of three things, "Space legs", "Atmospheres", or both. Only the last option will get unanimous support from the community. By this I mean that if 2020 is "legs", without atmospheric planets, then a large section of the community will tap into the vitriolic brine hydrants and dowse this place with salt. "I dont want any more stupid pewpew - if you want that go play COD" being the sort of sentiment I seen far too often in threads about "legs". Equally so, I myself, and others have asked the question of what would be the point of adding proper atmospheric planets if we are still riveted to out pilots seats of Ship/SLF/SRV? "Oh look more stuff to scan/shoot/scoop", proponents of legs could argue that the current ecosystems within la grange clouds offer nearly all the gameplay, granted without some of the awesome vistas, that we could expect from atmospheric planets without the ability to leave a vehicle.

Personally, I hope its legs, let us get out of the pilot seats and walk around the areas we can currently fly/drive. Visual sset work for interiors of ships and stations would be needed, then new mechanics to utilise those assets. Then we players can be kept busy with this for a couple of years while technologies being put into cobra engine for zoo planet and jurassic world are adapted into procedural ecosystem generation algorithm code. Procedural cities and populaced planets could then be worked on, with a select few hand crafted cities / planets being accessible through permits. Once there is a sufficient pool of urban assets, these could be plugged into a procedural generation algorithm to make a bubble's worth of cities.

Then we have created the full on galaxy that David mentions in that video.

If he were still involved, by that I mean actively communicating with the playerbase, it might defray some of the criticism from current "problems" with the game. NB: I use the parenthesis around problems as some of the gripes mooted in here are about stuff that is working as intended by the developer, but not to the liking of the players. However in my mind I think the long delay for the big launch of the much vaunted revolutionary 2020 update, can only indicate one of three things, "Space legs", "Atmospheres", or both. Only the last option will get unanimous support from the community. By this I mean that if 2020 is "legs", without atmospheric planets, then a large section of the community will tap into the vitriolic brine hydrants and dowse this place with salt. "I dont want any more stupid pewpew - if you want that go play COD" being the sort of sentiment I seen far too often in threads about "legs". Equally so, I myself, and others have asked the question of what would be the point of adding proper atmospheric planets if we are still riveted to out pilots seats of Ship/SLF/SRV? "Oh look more stuff to scan/shoot/scoop", proponents of legs could argue that the current ecosystems within la grange clouds offer nearly all the gameplay, granted without some of the awesome vistas, that we could expect from atmospheric planets without the ability to leave a vehicle.

Personally, I hope its legs, let us get out of the pilot seats and walk around the areas we can currently fly/drive. Visual sset work for interiors of ships and stations would be needed, then new mechanics to utilise those assets. Then we players can be kept busy with this for a couple of years while technologies being put into cobra engine for zoo planet and jurassic world are adapted into procedural ecosystem generation algorithm code. Procedural cities and populaced planets could then be worked on, with a select few hand crafted cities / planets being accessible through permits. Once there is a sufficient pool of urban assets, these could be plugged into a procedural generation algorithm to make a bubble's worth of cities.

Then we have created the full on galaxy that David mentions in that video.

I wish I could share your optimism.

The thing is, that contemporary space games with aspirational scope tend to end in huge disappointments for a good reason. I don't think it is reasonable to expect any developer to fill a procedural galaxy with so much detail, content and gameplay that fills this aspiration. Walk around and do business in a city-sized space station, climb into your spaceship, fly to planet, watch a volcano erupt, land and hunt animals, etc... This just won't happen, at least not in the near future.

I am was just expecting Elite -with all its inevitable shortcomings- to fulfill its reasonable spaceship flying potential by adding incremental stuff like atmospheric landings* to dry planets, more surface vehicles, NPCs walking around stations, more/upgraded cosmic sights a properly involving Thargoid/Guardian storyline and planetary assault missions that are not a suicide to tackle.

Instead of us getting a decent game with all its limitations, Elite could become just another mess in the crowded area of failed/unfinished space games.

*As about atmospheric gameplay: this is a spaceship game, flying in different atmospheric density and weather patterns would provide just enough gameplay element even without adding anything else, not to mention all the fantastic vistas that make Elite a special game today.

I don’t think comparing ED to NMS is fair. What each game is trying to achieve is similar but NMS doesn’t necessarily need to bother with realism.

Top Bottom