End of the Road

I am seriously impressed that this thread keeps resurfacing every so often! And that some of you read all the posts in a single session. Time to open that Lavian brandy to celebrate!

Hi Macedonica and Chiggy too (If reading)
I was riveted to the PC live when your epic tale kicked off... I actually took a "sickie" from work (RL) as I didn't get enough shuteye following you two (posting) and playing the game... those were the days... and it's only right that your story has slipped seamlessly into the lore of Elite Dangerous... props to you guys even after all the time that's passed.

o7

Always love to be the one to bump an ancient thread :)

I don't remember what put me onto this thread (Alec's best of ED Forums?) - but I read the entire thing in one go - every single post - and the (now two+ year old) triumphant rescue video (f-bombs were totally appropriate)....

I don't know if I'd already decided to sign up for DW2 (on 2nd to last day of Latecomer signup) - but I promised myself to be prepared to come to the aid of any fellow Cmdrs stranded far, far from home....And I also promised to tiptoe in the footsteps of ED legends....

And to imagine that Cmdr Macedonia otherwise would have had this as his last image of the galaxy had Germanium not been successfully mined:

But the story doesn't end there for me....I had yet to reach Beagle Point - and then even make it to Semontus Beacon - the farthest point from Sol that you can reach.....I reflected on the epic DW2 voyage I had taken part in (and joined the newly formed 'Hull Seals' repair group to aid the Cmdr who has 'lithobraked' a bit too intensely onto planetary surface.....) - and thought: there are more bodies to explore - more to see - more wonders to discover - before I go back to the hustle & bustle of the Bubble....So a superficially conceived 1/2 circumnavigation concept has now turned into an expedition of my own with over 30+ Cmdrs joining in....

So fast forward a few weeks - I have left Beagle 4-5 kLy behind - meandering eastwards (amongst the heavy administrative load of forming / organising expedition etc) along the eastern reaches of the Abyss - jonking along to get past the heavily explored region into 'fresh wilderness' - and just glancing casually at the FSS Frequency Spectrum to see if anything other than 'icy bodies' is worth noting....Hmm what's this? A system with a Water World - and wait - could it be? Yes! an ELW!!...Well that will fetch a few extra credits if I just swing by and DSS / map them....Surprise! Someone has been here before me.....but not just 'someone':

I excitedly told my fellow explorers of my find - and they asked 'who?' What?!?!?! They had not heard the epic tale of despair and rescue from the hallowed ED lore??!?

Perhaps not quite as exciting as discovering a triplet of ringed ELWs (no - I have NOT found one ringed ELW....yet) - but very special nonetheless....

Fly safe Cmdrs! o7

Dan

If you only need 1 ly, can you make a level 1 boost? Are there any other systems at all to jump to? Maybe a longer route whence you came?

Otherwise, I’d suggest picking a spot you like best, parking yourself there, starting a new thread here and post making your final peace with the universe as you wait for the inevitable.

If you only need 1 ly, can you make a level 1 boost? Are there any other systems at all to jump to? Maybe a longer route whence you came?

Otherwise, I’d suggest picking a spot you like best, parking yourself there, starting a new thread here and post making your final peace with the universe as you wait for the inevitable.
You really read just the OP? No, really?
Bad joke.
Now read the whole thread 10 times aloud as penance!

Nice to see this pop up again - to be honest, I don't play much anymore. I joined up to DW2 and reached Saggy A but then burned out. Since then I've suffered a neck hernia which has severely restricted game play of any kind. Especially if you use a VR headset. But the urge to FSD will come back as it always does!
Get well soon Macedonica.... can empathise with you... my wife had her neck broken (assaulted on duty) and had to have the vertebral disc removed and her C1 + C2 vertebrae fused together.... left her with a permanent stiff neck (and a scar across her throat from ear to ear (they operated from the front...called a Clowards Procedure I believe)... anyway... best wishes for your recovery and hopefully a return to the galaxy too!

o7

Get well soon Macedonica.... can empathise with you... my wife had her neck broken (assaulted on duty) and had to have the vertebral disc removed and her C1 + C2 vertebrae fused together.... left her with a permanent stiff neck (and a scar across her throat from ear to ear (they operated from the front...called a Clowards Procedure I believe)... anyway... best wishes for your recovery and hopefully a return to the galaxy too!

o7
Sorry to read that, hems303 - what happened to your wife is horrible and made me shiver inside when I read it. I can't imagine how that has impacted on both of you and certianly puts my own discomfort into perspective. I wish you well, too, in your future voyages into the unknown!

Sorry to hear about your neck. Get well soon. I've always loved this story from the start. And even though I thought I knew how amazing Chiggy's rescue was from seeing your lonely little spot on your galaxy map, I've found a new appreciation.
Since doing DW2 ( my first exploration) I had to call in at your two beacons on the way back....armed with mining laser. OMG that's a long way out! I've only just got back now to about where Chiggy set off and it's taken me over a month.
I've started reading this thread again with a new appreciation. Salute to you both....again😁

Top Bottom