Buy modules on-line!

When you're at an Engineers base and they don't stock one of the modules you want to complete your build, you have to see if you have one stored somewhere local or go buy one and come back...
Why can't we purchase the module 'on-line' and pay the extra delivery cost to that Engineers base?

When you're at an Engineers base and they don't stock one of the modules you want to complete your build, you have to see if you have one stored somewhere local or go buy one and come back...
Why can't we purchase the module 'on-line' and pay the extra delivery cost to that Engineers base?
Same reason you can't buy market data without first visiting the system for which you want it.

Intergalactic communication doesn't have the tech required for instant communication at the distances involved....or something.

You're actually paying a pilot at your current station to fly to get the module and bring it back, not instant communicating. Why else would it take significantly longer for the transfer then if you flew there yourself to get it?
Who told you that?

But, in that case, why can't I send out for one...

Because it 's an engineers base and they don't have dozens of idle pilots sitting around waiting for someone to ask them to go and fetch something, like they would at a city sized space station.
Well, I guess that until ED confirm what you say we'll just have to pretend!

The "in the 34th Century we can do X, therefore we should be able to do Y" discussions seem pointless to me.

What you can and can't do in Elite isn't dictated by theoretical in-universe technological capability, otherwise we'd be autopiloting everywhere and never lifting a finger. It's dictated by designers who want the game loops to function a certain way (obviously whether those decisions are right or not is a debate in itself).

Any logic holes this leaves in the game are written around, hand-waved, or just meant to be ignored.

Rightly or wrongly, it's intended that we have to hunt around for modules, or at least look up where to find them and fly there. Obviously they're reluctant to start letting us spend money to skip "gameplay" in too many areas. Especially since cash isn't exactly hard to come by.

I can kind of see the point. Flying from A to B just to buy something is a terrible bore, but I think the solution to that boredom is maybe not to let us start paying to skip dull activities, but enhancing those activities to make them more interesting somehow, or at least streamlined.

Maybe bring some more of those external tools into the game, so we feel we're actually operating trade computers and stuff when we look up where to buy something, rather than just cheating. Maybe let us piece together our desired loadout on the outfitting scren to make a "shopping list" of sorts that gives us a list of nearby places to go to acquire the items.

90% of all games is pretend, using ones imagination. It's not necessary to have a complete explanation of every aspect of a game, that would distract from the developers task of giving us an enjoyable playing field. For instance when playing D&D I didn't require a detailed explanation of how a magic fireball worked, all I needed to know was it's effect.

We have to fall back on that old hound logic.

Logic would suggest from the description of the engineers when they were released and current game description that they don't actually advertise their presence or have a large number of people sitting around their bases doing nothing. For instance The Dweller, an engineer described as a mysterious contact in the underworld just isn't going to operate like that.

We have to fall back on that old hound logic.

Logic would suggest from the description of the engineers when they were released and current game description that they don't actually advertise their presence or have a large number of people sitting around their bases doing nothing. For instance The Dweller, an engineer described as a mysterious contact in the underworld just isn't going to operate like that.
That may very well be the case for the Engineer you choose to mention,(and I'm sure you can dedicate time and effort to find more to support what you say and dismiss my post) in reality it's a bit different.
I'm at Sirius and there are two and a half million people there, Now I want a 6A PP for my ship and I have just such a module stored 155 lys away in Levy, now, I could send for that one or go buy one from... (looking on the internet for outside tools...which is silly) BD+49 1280 which I'd rather not do because the PP I have is underpowered and I'd have to juggle systems power distribution and avoid possible interdiction in a ship that's half built.
So the reasonable thing is...
If someone is willing to bring my PP 155 lys can they instead get me a New one from 51 lys distant, there two and a half MILLION folks in Sirius and one of them is twiddling her/his thumbs... this would allow me to do the washing up.
The above is not Gameplay bought about by the destruction of my explorer ship 15,000lys out through lack of 'game' information, it a silly grind to get back to where I was!

The Ship that was destroyed is still some 40 hours away and I'm trying to do 'something' in the meantime...
Thank you for your understanding,

My request stands

PS, and now my Tea is cold!

If someone is willing to bring my PP 155 lys can they instead get me a New one from 51 lys distant, there two and a half MILLION folks in Sirius and one of them is twiddling her/his thumbs... this would allow me to do the washing up

The Engineers aren't Sirius, the engineers are the engineers. First you need a permit even to get to Sirius, then you need to bring special stuff to Marco Qwent to access the base, but even before that you need grade three acces with Elvira Martuck. The entire point of the engineers background is that they are special people who are hard to access and even harder to make friends with. Regardless if there were billions of folk in Sirius, and even if one is twiddling his thumbs, he would also need to complete the same access procedure we all had to do just to be able to find the base. I mean what would be the point of making the Qwent Research Base hard to access for players if any old rust bucket pilot from Sirius could just fly straight in?

I don't really know why I bother replying to these threads, I must have wasted my youth playing RPG games because no-one these days is the least bit interested in using their imagination and getting a feel of what the virtual galaxy we play in should be like, it's just gimme, gimme, gimme, and gimme now!

Last edited:
As a general principle, I see where you are coming from BUT overall, if something like what you are asking for "Remote Module Purchase" were implemented then the same rule could/should be reasonably be applied to "Remote Ship Purchase" too.

Implementation would need to be balanced carefully but the following rules could apply:-
  1. CMDR needs to have visited the supplying station and be on good terms with the controlling faction (reputation level restrictions could apply - minimum of Allied for example)
  2. CMDR would not benefit from any discounts and would have to pay a flat 10% (for example) mark-up/tax on the standard base universe price for remote purchases
  3. CMDR would also have to pay for the appropriate transfer fee plus have to wait the notional time for it to be delivered to the current docked station/facility
  4. ALL acquisition costs (purchase price - inc. remote purchase mark-up/tax - plus transfer fee) would be factored into the rebuy cost
The precedent has already been set by having owned ship/module transfers thus a similar principle for new purchases is not that way out.

[EDIT]FTR the thread title is a bit misleading, it implies a real-world-cash pay-to-win proposal which seems not be the case from the OP.[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Anything is possible, but what you are actually saying is I don't like having to plan my engineering - remove this gameplay as I would rather grind credits. Put that way it's less interesting (at least to me)

The Engineers aren't Sirius, the engineers are the engineers. First you need a permit even to get to Sirius, then you need to bring special stuff to Marco Qwent to access the base, but even before that you need grade three acces with Elvira Martuck. The entire point of the engineers background is that they are special people who are hard to access and even harder to make friends with. Regardless if there are half a million folk in Sirius, and even if one is twiddling his thumbs, he would also need to complete the same access procedure we all had to do just to be able to find the base. I mean what would be the point of making the Qwent Research Base hard to access for players if any old rust bucket pilot from Sirius could just fly straight in?

I don't really know why I bother replying to these threads, I must have wasted my youth playing RPG games because no-one these days is the least bit interested in using their imagination and getting a feel of what the virtual galaxy we play in should be like, it's just gimme, gimme, gimme, and gimme now!

Oh please, spare me another one of your condescending superior diatribes.
With 2000 hours in game I have the permits, good grief woma... person,
I honestly don't know why you bother replying to the threads either, if you wanna make stuff up for your own 'murshun' that's up to you, I just wanna get out of the boring pew pew bubble and into the black where I was, now if you can't stand the though of people using their reduced allotted 'retirement' time in a more constructive way than grinding 'go there get that come back'...loop then don't bother with the thread.

Last edited:
As a general principle, I see where you are coming from BUT overall, if something like what you are asking for "Remote Module Purchase" were implemented then the same rule could/should be reasonably be applied to "Remote Ship Purchase" too.

Implementation would need to be balanced carefully but the following rules could apply:-
  1. CMDR needs to have visited the supplying station and be on good terms with the controlling faction (reputation level restrictions could apply - minimum of Allied for example)
  2. CMDR would not benefit from any discounts and would have to pay a flat 10% (for example) mark-up/tax on the standard base universe price for remote purchases
  3. CMDR would also have to pay for the appropriate transfer fee plus have to wait the notional time for it to be delivered to the current docked station/facility
  4. ALL purchase costs would be factored into the rebuy cost
The precedent has already been set by having owned ship/module transfers thus a similar principle for new purchases is not that way out.

[EDIT]FTR the thread title is a bit misleading, it implies a real-world-cash pay-to-win proposal which seems not be the case from the OP.[/EDIT]

I see what you're saying, and I suppose to a point where would it all end?
But ED, in my opinion dropped the ball on day one when the put into place the the rights of the rebuy screen.

Case: a pilot with a G5 engineered A rated Cutter drops his on the way out of a Federal Agricultural station... he immediately gets a full replacement...5 seconds even down to that special paint job, because it save him the time and aggravation of running back and forth getting the bits, I'm really just asking for a far lesser consideration.

Edit: rlsg, I'll look at changing the 'misleading' thread title... thanks for the heads up!

Nah, couldn't fix that, but either way, like Luniticisi said, Amazon in space

Last edited:
Top Bottom