Steam Numbers Now

Must be time for a Cobra Mk IV thread then :D
We've had a couple new posts in them recently, but ironically enough, I just so happen to have posted this in the mentioned LEP thread in homage of our dear friend Agony_Aunt, who saw fit to complain about the thread. Not meaning to call anyone out by the way, to be clear. Just a bit of a laugh on all our behalf as comedic relief, in the highest regards, naturally. :) But I digress...

yxGuVzh.jpg

bZBcRdZ.png

Think this was the amount of active players over the past months.

Funny that no one noticed that numbers indicating thresholds are mirror flipped so it means you have to read the whole graph from right to left. And that shows totally different picture.

Also, I've stopped using Steam launcher after like... 3 months. Since then I solely use ED launcher. Fun fact, Steam says 72 hrs and ED not even installed.

Funny that no one noticed that numbers indicating thresholds are mirror flipped so it means you have to read the whole graph from right to left. And that shows totally different picture.

Also, I've stopped using Steam launcher after like... 3 months. Since then I solely use ED launcher. Fun fact, Steam says 72 hrs and ED not even installed.
Law of averages is but a salty tear drop twinkly in the eye of those who deem it so. This means something...

Mount of plashed potatoes, for your consideration.

:)

BB7Vl4K.png

Last edited:
So how are the Steam numbers now? Someone always posts Steam numbers right after Christmas and a huge update, and we're all like, "Woohoo, Elite is doing great!" But what about now?

The question is sincere, as I have no idea. I'm a PS4 player on indefinite hiatus, and considering how dull everything is around here lately, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not alone.

PS - You can't claim Steam numbers matter when they are high and then say they don't matter when they are low. Consider them a statistic sample, like Nielsen ratings in the US.
I would say up and down...
5ILguTj.png

Congrats, you just won the internet (y)😀

I thought it was pretty obvious, but you seem to be the first to notice I flipped and mirrored the image. The line is actually going down :)

Actually the graph doesn't show anything at all since it's based on nonsensical data.
It shows peak numbers rather than average players and to make things worse it's also flattened towards the end which makes it completely useless.

Still, I do feel ED might be in "nap time" mode, not only due to a lull in new content, but for the simple fact that summer is upon us. I haven't played for more than an a few hours since late March. I even moved ED to my external drive. I yawn at most of the threads being posted lately (you know things are slow when "Let's have sex with the Thargoids" is the most popular topic). I know ED is far from dead, but it does feel sleepy.

Interesting point. Since the last patch ive diversified as well and liking it too. Just finished jurassic world evolution (only get the base game on sale as its just like elite, expensive well done skeleton) and playing through witcher 2 again. Yet without forcing it i still find myself back in elite. When you're sick of it, the trick is to only play when you have a sandbox goal you're excited about, don't just log in and grind. Yes a week can go by without playing and its good.

Throughout my entire time playing ive never seen elite average more than 4-6k. White knights keep quoting some mythical figure that doesn't play via the steam launcher, and there's consoles i guess. Its a possible assumption that just like steam those numbers havent changed a bit either, or have died off.

The "focus on elite making money" is a strange one. Personally, frontier actually pssed me off. Took an account out of the bubble and.. the best i can do is certain rng system content scenarios are better, but theres a dismaying gut sink that new exploration caused.. the system was actually the games expression of the stellar forge. Its like that familar core concept is no longer in the game in many scenarios when out of the bubble, and its worse, face stabbingly worse. The fss is a brilliant tool, but plain as day frontier didn't care about / design for the player experience and it shows. Anyway, the point is i completely shut down cosmetics because of this and frontier will need to improve the game significantly before it gets turned on again.

It also blows my mind how one player can come with amazing cosmetics and all that's coming out of the store is such rubbish. During the early days, those were the only ones available so worked, but when you have a fleet full of cosmetics and rares, duplicated over a number of accounts, and frontiers form with the game itself its just not going to happen.

Let's just say FD adding something to show when the last time folks in my friends list played is, well, depressing.

Considering the fact I added a guy to my friends list after having a fight with them, they logged out a little later, and then it said they were last active 15 months ago.... I'm not sure you should take that system too seriously.

Considering the fact I added a guy to my friends list after having a fight with them, they logged out a little later, and then it said they were last active 15 months ago.... I'm not sure you should take that system too seriously.

Interesting--but for the most part it's consistent with what I know. Most of the 200 or so folks I have in there no longer play regularly--I'd say 10-15 are regulars, and another 20-30 play with every update. The rest, heck the game doesn't even have estimates for most of them. :) Of those ~200, though, 90% of them are US-based.

I would actually like to see what happens to players that buy it, try it, and keep playing it. Do the noob zones work? Did C&P work?

Those numbers feel like there is a steady hardcore playerbase that is not substantially altered irrespective of major updates.

I think if Steam would read the numbers directly from the Frontier API instead of hours spent in-game while playing Elite directly in Steam client, you would see greater numbers reflected on actual use.

My Steam account states I have played 84hrs, and my Elite in-game playtime states 1498hrs.

Looks like a skewed set of statistics to me, not even comparable to the "Nielson's TV Rating System" mentioned earlier.

It would be nice to see these "hours played" shown here on this forum, rather than depend on what a gaming service provides.

o7.....
The only useful info you can get from Steamcharts is if there is a trend towards an increasing or decreasing player base and even that's very questionable because it doesn't take the time someone spends in game into account.
If there are 4000 concurrent average players you don't know if that's 4000 people playing 24 hours each day or 96.000 playing one hour each day...

Anyway, regarding trends it looks like the game is slightly more popular than it was at release, which is pretty good for a 5 years old game. On the other hand the total player base is probably way lower than stuff like PUBG but I guess that's normal for niche games. The space-sim genre was dead before ED. And I for one am quite happy that it isn't the next battle royale or survival game clone.

Top Bottom