Would you buy an ED single player spin-off like Squadron 42?

Right now we have the best of both worlds in one package: a solo mode for those who want a single player experience and open for those looking for an MP experience. I'd rather have Frontier spend their time and energy on continuing improving the main game than working on a spinoff.

No. FD has never shown anything remotely close to the ability to create compelling stories/plot/narrative so I'd just assume it'd be 50 hours of grind to level up.

If they hired the right team, maybe. I always considered it a pity the single player was such a procgen snoozefest.

I reckon they've made their bed with this web of procedural insanity, and need to keep jumping up and down on it until it's fun. So nah.

(Also SQ42 doesn't currently exist, so possibly not the best example ;))

No. FD has never shown anything remotely close to the ability to create compelling stories/plot/narrative so I'd just assume it'd be 50 hours of grind to level up.

If they hired the right team, maybe. I always considered it a pity the single player was such a procgen snoozefest.

I agree with you but when they introduced the Thargoids the started off pretty well imho.
Mysterious attacks, hyperdictions, those Thargoid bases whitch you could activate, not that much player activity perse but they did set the atmosphere.
To bad it ended there and the whole Thargoid thing turned into another npc shootfest.
Like so many things , they start off nice but that's it, nothing gets done properly or gets some nice continueation.

Yep, same here. Standalone would actually put me off, but if it was part of a wider selection of DLC in-game, then that would definitely attract my attention, and my wallet.

I'm talking about a single player adventure that do not affect the BGS with:
  • interactive and animated NPC's
  • acted dialogues
  • cinematics
  • handcrafted and interactive missions
and other contents that lead you through a new adventure in the same Elite Dangerous galaxy with the same assets plus something specific for the story.
A story/adventure that would guarantee 50+ hours of gameplay.

The adventure could be started with your current character (so no need to restart a new one) and at the end of it you would also be able to keep the progression (credits, ships, rankings, modules, materials and so on) in the current game so that the complete adventure would be consistent with the general experience.

What's your opinion about that?

No, I'd just want to go off-piste.

I agree with you but when they introduced the Thargoids the started off pretty well imho.
Mysterious attacks, hyperdictions, those Thargoid bases whitch you could activate, not that much player activity perse but they did set the atmosphere...
None of which I would have had any clue about if not for Obsidian Ant's channel and this forum. Most of Frontier's "story-telling" takes place outside of the game. Well, except for Galnet, which is basically an interstellar tabloid these days.

Now becoming a Dragonborn in Skyrim, that was handled thoroughly and beautifully within the game itself.

None of which I would have had any clue about if not for Obsidian Ant's channel and this forum. Most of Frontier's "story-telling" takes place outside of the game. Well, except for Galnet, which is basically an interstellar tabloid these days.

Now becoming a Dragonborn in Skyrim, that was handled thoroughly and beautifully within the game itself.

True, I found out about all those new things right here on the forum, no leads in the game whatsoever.
And still, if you just fly around and do your own thing you'll probably notice nothing regarding the Thargoids, Guardians and a lot of other stuff.

I don't want to see FD release another bare bones game whilst this bare bones remains unfinished. Spin offs set in the same universe are the cancer of the gaming industry and just an attempt to extract more money from the same loyal fanbase . As others have said FD is best to place all of their attention on the ED and get it up near its full potential.

• acted dialogues
  • cinematics
and other contents that lead you through a new adventure in the same Elite Dangerous galaxy with the same assets plus something specific for the story.

The adventure could be started with your current character (so no need to restart a new one) and at the end of it you would also be able to keep the progression (credits, ships, rankings, modules, materials and so on) in the current game so that the complete adventure would be consistent with the general experience.

It was sounding OK until the story adventure 50+ hours bit I am not interested in a game that only has one story/track and I would want a longer time guarantee.

Played way too many hours, so not for me personally.

But given there's always interest in new players, common sense says this has been missing from the start.

Shouldn't be that hard given npc ai already exists... that's what stopped them doing it in swtor.

• acted dialogues
  • cinematics

Always could have used a pilot progression.
FDEV always too inept to provide that level of story telling.

Top Bottom