General / Off-Topic 1 month (Health)

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date

Deleted member 110222

D
A little over a month ago, I realised I was on the road to doom with my health.

As in, it occurred to me that if I do contract COVID, the sheer lack of good nutrition was going to put me at extreme risk.

I threw away food the next day. Crisps, bin. Chocolate, bin. Soda, down the sink.

Been eating a huge amount of fruit & vegetables lately, as opposed to before. Meat has been cut down to a literal handful per day, with two days per week entirely vegetarian. I eat meat, and it's definitely a healthy amount. It's purely for nutrition now.

Energy levels since I started have shot through the roof. I am waking up early. I am going to bed at a healthy hour.

I've not contracted a cold this year. This is a lifetime first for me. I have never previously gone through November without at least a minor cold. I am hoping I can take it through December. What an achievement that would be, in 2020 of all years! I mean, I've felt my throat get slightly dry a couple times, but I wake up the next day fully recovered. Proper bed fittings are a change of course.

I think the sudden rush of good nutrition is making my immune system actually run effectively. Granted I'm not a doctor or scientist so that's only an educated guess based on common sense.

But I know that the huge lifestyle change is definitely the main factor here. I mean, it's the only thing I've changed, and the results are just... Awesome.

Good for you.

Try starting the day with fruit and porridge smoothie. Pop a handful of frozen fruit/berries/whatever you like in a liquidizer with half a cup of porridge oats. Add skimmed milk to the consistency you like and whiz it till it's like a milkshake.

It'll give you slow release energy until midday, tastes fab and is one of your five a day.

I'm under the weight I was twenty years ago by doing that.

You need to use frozen fruit to make it nice and cool.

Congrats, sounds like you’re on a good path now.

I did something similar about 15 years ago - knocked smoking on the head, massively cut back on the booze, started a healthy diet and started running for exercise. Today I can still do my Navy fitness test within a “very good” time for someone under 24 years old 😁

Apart from having mild flu symptoms in January this year (it swept though my family & friends from Dec to mid Feb, possibly the ‘rona before it got popular) I’m struggling to remember a time when I’ve been ill over the last few years. Hope all goes well in your future!

Deleted member 110222

D
Excellent resolution here.

It was your body that requested this change.

Add some sport now and you'll be another man. (y)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
Yeah. Already going for a brisk walk around my neighbourhood each day. Plan to upgrade to jogging when I feel I have the energy to maintain such activity. It's going in the right direction.

A little over a month ago, I realised I was on the road to doom with my health.

As in, it occurred to me that if I do contract COVID, the sheer lack of good nutrition was going to put me at extreme risk.

I threw away food the next day. Crisps, bin. Chocolate, bin. Soda, down the sink.

Been eating a huge amount of fruit & vegetables lately, as opposed to before. Meat has been cut down to a literal handful per day, with two days per week entirely vegetarian. I eat meat, and it's definitely a healthy amount. It's purely for nutrition now.

Energy levels since I started have shot through the roof. I am waking up early. I am going to bed at a healthy hour.

I've not contracted a cold this year. This is a lifetime first for me. I have never previously gone through November without at least a minor cold. I am hoping I can take it through December. What an achievement that would be, in 2020 of all years! I mean, I've felt my throat get slightly dry a couple times, but I wake up the next day fully recovered. Proper bed fittings are a change of course.

I think the sudden rush of good nutrition is making my immune system actually run effectively. Granted I'm not a doctor or scientist so that's only an educated guess based on common sense.

But I know that the huge lifestyle change is definitely the main factor here. I mean, it's the only thing I've changed, and the results are just... Awesome.

This is great! Congratulations! (y)

I've made similar changes in lifestyle and diet after having a stroke three years ago. Amazing what small but steady changes can do. And frankly at this point in time with the pandemic and all it certainly is well merited. Being healthier give us more time to go rummaging around out in the black. LOL

o7

Latest statistic shows that German people are at covid risk at 70+ age. Indian people are at risk at 50-50 age.
Say "hello" to vegetarian food.

Good work.

I seriously cut down on drinking a couple of months ago. I still feel terrible most of the time but have lost weight and am attempting to kill myself with running instead!

I kinda sorted my diet out in summer 2019 - I was simply eating too much.

Just putting this out there.
After speaking to a number of doctors and nutritionists; most people, when changing their diets, go too far, too fast, and their diets fail. The consensus for long term changes is to ease into a diet, with small changes along the way.

After speaking to a number of doctors and nutritionists; most people, when changing their diets, go too far, too fast, and their diets fail. The consensus for long term changes is to ease into a diet, with small changes along the way.
.............and don't forget to treat yourself.

As with all things: Moderation, is always the best way.

A.A. for example. If you have to join such a group, then the 'addiction' is totally banned. So you NEVER touch a drink again, or you have failed. Now this works, for millions, but far more, have become failures, simply because in-spite of the phone a friend, groups, therapy and even drugs. Taking a drink, is very easy. Then the guilt sets in and so you have another.

To me. Banning it completely, means the alcohol has won, is in control, not me. However: If I can say, when to stop. When to drink and for whatever reasons and be in control of it myself. Then I have won.

Everything, in moderation.

Sorry. Rainbow farts. Good luck and Good-speed with your quest.

Last edited:
Yeah. Already going for a brisk walk around my neighbourhood each day. Plan to upgrade to jogging when I feel I have the energy to maintain such activity. It's going in the right direction.

Chuck in an interval or two of jogging in your walks when you feel up for it, and slowly increase the number of jogging intervals and length of them until you are at whatever your desired level of activity is. Some say mixing jogging and walking is better than full-on continuous jogging, maybe as some sort of analog to how we used to hunt way back when. I like continuous running as it is very meditative. However, it can also be very hard on joints. Road cycling is also good and without the impact on joints, but it takes longer to get the same effect. Even better is swimming.

:D S

Good on you mate. I have stopped drinking in the week, feel much better. Also trying to have more veg and healthy. Me and Mrs Moc quite good cooks anyway, but enjoying the challenge of more veg. Living in a countryside/fishing area helps too. COVID shut down the swimming pool though, that annoyed me. My brain works better too, did you find that too? Maybe that’s just the drink for me.
Best to you uni!

Deleted member 110222

D
Trust me, that is what I have done. The snacks went straight in the bin.

The unhealthy meals? No, that is a process I am still in the process of weaning myself off. I am now eating a lot less unhealthy meals, but they are there.

I am well of the things those doctors say, and I already factored this in.

But I did need to cut out the snacks immediately. Even then, I eat apples or oranges in their place.

To me. Banning it completely, means the alcohol has won, is in control, not me.
Sure it is. You never been :D. It turns off "control modules" at 1st priority. Personally I drink to lose control, that the point, otherwise I don't need it - only the problems and bad taste.

I made one change which was always start the day with a porridge smoothie.

You are less hungry so you eat less that day, yet have more energy as it's a slow release breakfast. No effort required to stick to a diet that day as you just don't feel the need to eat more.

Whenever I get into the habit of skipping brekkie I put weight on as I work through till I'm really hungry then gorge on convenient rubbish.

Top Bottom