2020 update - to include ability to create multiple commanders?

Does the second account take up another X Gb of hard drive space or does it recognise that you already have the game? OMG I would have to grind all the engineers again... maybe I buy SC instead lol

The most simple way, is to change login in the Launcher, they use the same game installation files. And works basically the same if you launcher downloaded directly from FDev or Launcher from Steam.

And for more advanced users, you can automate this process of switching commanders, but you will always have to exit the game back to the desktop/launcher.

So no, you do not have to have two or more copies installed.

Lestat

Banned
Does the second account take up another X Gb of hard drive space or does it recognise that you already have the game? OMG I would have to grind all the engineers again... maybe I buy SC instead lol
The only thing I have to do is put in a different password email to log on a different account. All my controls are all the same on each account.

Oh, Don't even bother on Star Citizen. Think about it. They should have been launched in 2014. But Star Citizen been in alpha for 5 years. Oh and even the newer computer systems have a hard time running it.

Wait for a sale and buy multiple accounts. It supports the game future updates as well. I have 3 profiles.

That why I have 3 accounts. One Exploration one Trading and the other one is a Combat. I will rotate once I hit Elite.

Lucky we can do this already.

My original install is on Steam. I just added a second account and boy what a hassle! Here is how I did it:
  • I created a new Frontier login for my new commander with a new email address.
  • With my new Frontier login, I bought a full-price second game from Frontier for $60 (too much $$, but no sales now). The online store would not take my money due to a bug --- had to contact Frontier Support to give them money. One day later was able to complete my purchase using my cell phone using cellular data connection.
  • There is nothing official to tell what to do regarding multiple copies of the game. From several helpful posts and videos (D2EA and ChaosWulf in particular) there is a method to duplicate the EDLauncher.exe file, renaming it like "EDLauncher_Cmdr2.exe". I did this. It seemed to avoid multiple installations.
  • Clicking on the "EDLauncher_Cmdr2.exe" file showed that the game was not installed. It asked for login (new email used) and then spent 2 hours "Syncing file" which really meant it was installing the entire game a second time !!
  • Both games now work (Steam -> My original character, EDLauncher_Cmdr2.exe -> My new character). They seem to share the control bindings :).
  • EDMarket connector will need some work, as will Inara - I haven't had time to think about that yet. Probably need separate logins for the new commander.
  • However I am almost out of C: space due to the duplicate installation. There are some posts about deleting/moving installations to regain space, but I don't have the energy left. Maybe later.
This does seem like a lot to go through to get a second character. I would be happy to pay (heck, I just spent $60 for this mess) for something easier to install.

Last edited:
Wait for a sale and buy multiple accounts. It supports the game future updates as well. I have 3 profiles.

I 'supported' the game when I bought it and the Horizons expansion. OP's request is entirely reasonable, not least when PC players are the only ones who can't already have multiple accounts for no additional cost.

And yes, I have been banging a drum about this for about three years now.

Top Bottom