Guide / Tutorial The popular guide to planetary landings

"The eagle has landed!"

With horizon hitting, a lot of folks are greatly enjoying the buggies and the surface. But it turns out planetary landings is fairly complex. My friends remembered my 'Popular guide to exploration' and requested I make a similar guide for Horizon's planetary landings.

here it is: The popular guide to planetary landings!
An easy to read beginner's guide on how to not crash too often on planet surfaces.
It's the fourth 'popular guide', third one of my making. Powerplay, Exploration, Mining and now Planetary landings. All links are on the last page.

I hope this little tidbit helps a commander or two out there. Enjoy the read!

Last edited:
Really nice guide. I did not know that there where vehicle bays larger than class 2... Guess the stations I'm moving through only have the smaller ones. Good to know!

Cracking guide! Rep given

When I came in too steep at Nelson Works in my Clipper I figured my only option was to nosedown and try to keep within glide angle. Screen started to fade red, held the angle until glide dropped out naturally. Heat critical and an audible sonic boom as I dropped out. So that was fun :)

Last edited:
Small update: CMDR J'Zargo figured out what wave scanner bands match what material sources one will find. So give him a big hand everyone. (Another space-cat explorer, go us!)
I've added this intel to page 26, along with a funny sci-fi reference for good measure.

Tiny update: Someone mentioned to me that 'touchdown' on a fairly high-G world is risky to try with the 'thrust down' key. It's much smoother to quickly turn off and on flight assist.

Top Bottom