300km from black hole and below - how close can you be to a such monster?

Few days ago I was exploring Thor's eye.
A black hole was there and I had to be very close for being able to scan it.

So I continue to turn around, closer and closer, below 300km and to be honest it was really impressive... Always wondering if the next kilometer will be not my last...

How much you can touch a black hole, when you feel that it is all around you?
Screenshot_0076.jpg

Unfortunately, black holes are extremely safe. You can go all the way till you drop without overheating. That's usually around 24km for normal sizes ones. You can escape without going over 100%.

I even did it with Sagittarius A* (see Deep Space Survey 5 in my sig), although it made me drop several hundred ls out

Yeah, black holes in ED are surprisingly docile. I managed to get all the way to the Body Exclusion Zone and my ship only heated up by about 10%. Just kept sitting there and nothing happened.

Neutron stars, on the other hand... *quivers*

I got punched in the face by a black hole today as soon as I entered system throttling to 0. Cracked my canopy. :(

Well you are able to travel faster than light. You can always get out. At 300km you get sucked out of supercruise most of the times. But then you can always throw a heat sink, take some pictures and get out.

I literally flew into one on accident in a system in PROOE DRYE. I entered the system and forgot to throttle down and ended up right up against it and crashed out of SC. Scanned it and went to escape and realized how close I actually was. I could not see any lensing... because I was so close I was in the lens. When I escaped the effect of entering normal space was pretty striking, it just kinda opened up as I flew through.

I got punched in the face by a black hole today as soon as I entered system throttling to 0. Cracked my canopy. :(
At least you were OUTSIDE the event horizon
Well you are able to travel faster than light. You can always get out. At 300km you get sucked out of supercruise most of the times. But then you can always throw a heat sink, take some pictures and get out.
There's no guarantee that would work. Supercruise isn't normal travel. Would have to see how to apply relativistic mechanics

Top Bottom