Release EDRefKB. Generate an image of a keyboard layout with bound keys.

Have you ever played Star Citizen, look through the settings menu only for you to find this image, and thought to yourself, "Man, I wish Elite Dangerous also has this...."?

Keyboard layout in Star Citizen settings menu

Because that's exactly what I thought. And therefore, allow me to introduce....

EDRefKB!
Keyboard layout generated by EDRefKB

Simply supply the tool with a valid keybind configuration file found in your Elite Dangerous local files, and the tool shall generate an image of a keyboard layout, complete with all the bound actions on every key! Now you, too, can learn the key bindings of Elite Dangerous with this simple tool!

Features:
  • Completely offline, no internet required.
  • Easy to use, simply open the file and use.
  • Runs on modern web browsers, which means everywhere.
Check the tool out online here. Or download it here. Or look at the source code here.

Last edited:
I use Win10 64Bit and OPERA as browser. It works, only the font in the keys would have to be adjusted.
It overlaps sometimes. Tested again with FIREFOX, also OK.

Doesn't produce an image of my keyboard, it runs, finds my bindings file but no image, Win 10, Chrome
No image at all? Not even an ink? Strange.
I guess you could send the keybinding config file to me so that I can try replicating it. Just attach it in your post or direct message, perhaps?
I use Win10 64Bit and OPERA as browser. It works, only the font in the keys would have to be adjusted.
It overlaps sometimes. Tested again with FIREFOX, also OK.
I'm aware of the overlap issue, I'll fix it Later™.

Downloaded Opera and installed it. Same issue

EDkey.png

UPDATE

Re d/l index.html and hey presto it works. I blame Windows :)

Last edited:
This is an excellent project but for me there is one huge problem, in that the text is tiny and can't easily be read when printed out - as in the example layout above.
Can an improvement be made with a drop switch of sizes from 1 to 10 in the index page, with 1 being this small size and 10 very large.

A wish for: this looks to be US keyboard layout, probably near 50% of players will not have an english keyboard (I have Norwegian), could there be any possibility to program different keyboards?

Top Bottom