Known Issue with Combat Bond Rewards in a Multicrew Session.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Greetings Commanders.

Wanting to post this out as a courtesy message today, acknowledging the ongoing reports of unexpected happenings with the rewarding of (or lack of) combat bonds whilst in multicrew.
Naturally, reports have continued to trickle in around this issue, following several of our recent CGs involving combat bonds.

This issue is noted and considered a priority to investigate further into why and how this is happening on dev side, however for full disclosure, we don't have specifics on when you can expect a fix just yet. The reason I'm posting this here today though, is to reassure you that it's one of a priority to continue to keep eyes on.

Any further information I have on the matter will absolutely be shared with you as soon as I have it.

Thanks for your patience, as always.

o7

-------------------------

Small note:
I can absolutely appreciate that this issue is not the only one to exist currently which is of great importance to many of you, and that there are more which you would like updates and answers on too.
As we approach Update 14 we will make sure to be as informative as we're able regarding current open issues, however please do note that we can only feed back information and responses as we have them.
I appreciate this can be frustrating as time ticks along, but just hoping to offer even a small, open piece of reassurance as we move o7

Have a wonderful day.

I realize this is strictly related to multicrew, but are there any chances of addressing the fact that combat bonds don't disappear on death in Odyssey/4.0? It's a very different situation from Horizons/3.8 leading to several advantages for Odyssey players participating in the CGs versus their Horizons counterparts.

At the very least if it's an intentional/permanent change, the information shown in the transactions panel regarding combat bonds expiring on death should be updated to reflect the reality that they don't.

StefanOS

Volunteer Moderator
I did try MC myself severel times, and its a surprise some are using it. Its FUN but very frustrating! I used a SCORPION with a friend, but after we left the SRV for a walk neither of us could get inside the SCORPION again. I had to close the TEAM to get in my OWN Scorpion!
Its STANDARD that using hyperdrive a view times either for SC or for HJ you will get disconnected from your TEAM member sooner or later - thats fact. And the WORST is that the TEAM members are not spawning back to the TEAM ship they where at the connectionloss ... no.... but to the last station - which could be far far away from the ship the TEAM commander boarded. This is the sad end of many MULTICREW play session - and therefore most players will next time prefer take their own ship and NOT USE Multicrew because with an own ship if they die or disconnect they will respawn at least in ORBIT at the planet and not 20 jumps away...
Physical Multicrew needs an option to RESPAWN in the last TEAM ship if a disconnection or death is happaning - otherwise MC is just playing roulett - slim chances to win something - high chances to lose everything.

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders.

Wanting to post this out as a courtesy message today, acknowledging the ongoing reports of unexpected happenings with the rewarding of (or lack of) combat bonds whilst in multicrew.
Naturally, reports have continued to trickle in around this issue, following several of our recent CGs involving combat bonds.

This issue is noted and considered a priority to investigate further into why and how this is happening on dev side, however for full disclosure, we don't have specifics on when you can expect a fix just yet. The reason I'm posting this here today though, is to reassure you that it's one of a priority to continue to keep eyes on.

Any further information I have on the matter will absolutely be shared with you as soon as I have it.

Thanks for your patience, as always.

o7

-------------------------

Small note:
I can absolutely appreciate that this issue is not the only one to exist currently which is of great importance to many of you, and that there are more which you would like updates and answers on too.
As we approach Update 14 we will make sure to be as informative as we're able regarding current open issues, however please do note that we can only feed back information and responses as we have them.
I appreciate this can be frustrating as time ticks along, but just hoping to offer even a small, open piece of reassurance as we move o7

Have a wonderful day.

If you're focusing on Multicrew, it would be very nice to see some refinements to make it more user-friendly.

Being able to relog in at the pilot ship, for example, if you disconnect; it would be great if you could choose to retry connecting, rather than defaulting to the last place you were on foot.

Ideally, it would bring up the multicrew session screen on relog, and would give you several options: [Attempt to Reconnect], which would try to reach the target player; if this fails, it would just keep you on the multicrew session report, and you could try as many times as you liked until you either succeeded or decided to give up. The second button should be [Redeploy to Surface], which would do what currently happens, and take you to your last on-foot location. And the last button should be [Initialize Escape Pod], which would do what an escape pod on an FC currently does, so players could get straight back to civilization without needing to log in and then kill themselves.

Turrets in general need a balance pass too, because right now, having a gunner is worthless.

Of particular note:
In mining, the turreted subsurface missiles auto-lock on rotating deposits in such a way that they cannot actually hit, because they do not account for the rotation. Even if you're pressing against the rock, they'll consistently miss. And because the gunner cannot override the automatic targeting, it is completely impossible to hit.

In AX, the turreted weapons fail to properly account for the FA-off way the thargoids fly, and in combination with the slow projectile speed, you'll experience the same issue. Turreted missiles, plasma chargers, and shard cannons are impossible to hit with beyond point-blank range, because again, the gunner cannot override the innate targeting lock, so they cannot perform the slight shifts in aim necessary to hit an FA-off target.

Even in standard pve, turreted weapons very rarely perform better in the hands of a player than in their default AI configuration. The bonus of faster targeting is more than compensated for by the inconsistency of players, especially when combined with any degree of latency, and the ability to ignore chaff is already a bonus that turreted weapons enjoy, simply by virtue of being able to keep on target more consistently. It would be very nice if when players controlled the turrets, they would get a damage bonus of some sort, to at least make them equivalent to gimballed weapons, if not fixed.

Perhaps most importantly, the SLF lag bug REALLY needs to be isolated, at least so players know what does and does not cause it. Until that gets fixed, nobody is going to allow multicrew to occur in a meaningful way. If you could just figure out whether or not players in fighters do or do not cause the bug and make a public statement to that effect, at least we could get multicrew in the game, even if NPCs are still off-limits, and that would be a fantastic thing with the ongoing thargoid narrative, since that's the current focus of most community content.

I'm not even sure it's not a good thing the combat bonds are not awarded to multicrew guests - since it's so easy to exploit with AFK alts and/or guildies

FDev: "If more people would use multicrew we'd prioritize fixing it higher."

Players: "But it's broken. We don't want to use it until it's fixed!"

FDev: "Well, too bad, you're not using it so it's a low priority."

I'm paraphrasing but, seriously, I'm not making this up. This was the exchange between FDev and the community in general after Multicrew was first introduced with its many, many issues. FDev's position was literally "Aware, don't care." I hope things have changed but if that's still their thinking, this fix could take a long, long time.

FDev: "If more people would use multicrew we'd prioritize fixing it higher."

Players: "But it's broken. We don't want to use it until it's fixed!"

FDev: "Well, too bad, you're not using it so it's a low priority."

I'm paraphrasing but, seriously, I'm not making this up. This was the exchange between FDev and the community in general after Multicrew was first introduced with its many, many issues. FDev's position was literally "Aware, don't care." I hope things have changed but if that's still their thinking, this fix could take a long, long time.
I realize it's probably not clear from the opening post, but the issue is about team members being physically present in the same ship not getting paid bounties/combat bonds. It is a situation that didn't exist at the time you're referencing, although it has been a constant problem since the release of Odyssey (which Sally has previously acknowledged).

In any case, I don't see what is achieved by complaining that a possible upcoming bugfix didn't arrive sooner. It's just negativity for the sake of attention.

I realize it's probably not clear from the opening post, but the issue is about team members being physically present in the same ship not getting paid bounties/combat bonds. It is a situation that didn't exist at the time you're referencing, although it has been a constant problem since the release of Odyssey (which Sally has previously acknowledged).

In any case, I don't see what is achieved by complaining that a possible upcoming bugfix didn't arrive sooner. It's just negativity for the sake of attention.
No, the opening post was clear, I assure you I can read.

Also I think I'm entitled to my emotions here. When Odyssey first launched it was a mess, it destroyed the ability to play in VR and broke multiplayer gameplay even further than it already was. I was frustrated but I gave FDev the benefit of the doubt. I even had some great one-on-one communication with Sally, a step she genuinely did not have to take, and generated crash logs to throw in on bug reports. My philosophy has ever been to be part of the solution rather than the problem.

I do apologize for the crack in my cool there, I have simply come all the way around to being frustrated again.

I suppose what I want to know is, has FDev's philosophy toward bug fixing changed since the time I referenced? Or do we still prioritize fixing things that are barely broken over things that are completely broken?

Because that's what happens when you prioritize based on usage. Of course things that are completely broken don't get used.

Last edited:
Top Bottom