I've posted 51 bugs to Frontier's ED Issue Tracker. 1 out of 51 ain't bad, is it

(not showing all 51 bugs reported...) Expired tells me they just didn't get to it to give it a Severity / Priority...

OneOutOf.png

Expired means you need to play the popularity game more 😄

Make sure the issue isn’t already reported, then make players aware on Elite Dangerous forums - there’s a general bug thread here or my VR-specific thread here, which both have successfully got bugs fixed.

My issue tracker summary says I’ve had 16 Expired, 13 Fixed, 1 By Design, 1 Invalid, and 3 Acknowledged (and hopefully to be fixed in the future!) 👍

Let's see:
11 Fixed (10 actually fixed, 1 still broken)
8 Expired (but 6 of them fixed otherwise anyway)
5 Eaten by the "this issue could not be loaded" bug (duplicates of the one I eventually got through)

So I make that 16 out of 19 fixed, which isn't too bad.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
13e.jpg

1696152814854.png

😂
Apparently
13 fixed (2 of which aren't), 3 confirmed (even though 2 of those are actually fixed), 1 confirming, 74 expired (even though quite a few of those are actually fixed, and the vast majority are still bugs). Plus the 4 I made on my alt account which have all expired.

But it's the Issue Tracker, so it's all academic anyway and it is a test of patience at best, and realistically an illusion.

Also Expired literally just means you didn't get 10 confirmations for the issue you created. It's the only actual automated part of the system. To be fair someone did start batch expiring issues over 30 days old with less than 10 confirmations, with a bit more regularity than after every update near the beginning of the year but we have gained 508 new issues in confirming just in the last 2 months.

As Arioch said, you need to game the system more if you want things confirmed. Back when they were still doing the top 20 issues threads, and actually giving it some attention I set out to prove a point for a bug that was personally annoying to me (Selling on the Black Market giving you -25% profit). It had been an issue for 3 years without anything being done, despite it often being highlighted. So I persuaded some people to get it confirmed, then went to the forums and loads of Discords asking people to give 1 vote to it. In a week it became the 5th highest voted issue. 3 weeks later it was fixed.

3 years languishing, then 5 weeks to get fixed just because I was "popular". But those days are behind us.

Noticed yesterday that the rescue contact quantity widget has been fixed, so that it no longer locks up after one use -- that was gratifying, and I do not even know whether anybody ever made a formal report about it. :7

Yeeah.. the voting stuff is basically the worst thing ever.
Yes but the problem is without something like the conformation and voting system they would have no way of judging whether a report is about a one off thing that affects only one player, something that only affects 10 or more players or something that affects a lot of players. I won’t say all as some widespread bugs won’t affect everyone because not everyone uses the thing affected by the bug such as myself and the Codex and the archived messages which I have not needed to look at for years.

Yes but the problem is without something like the conformation and voting system they would have no way of judging whether a report is about a one off thing that affects only one player, something that only affects 10 or more players or something that affects a lot of players
Without the voting system they might have to actually read the reports to determine that, true.

They didn't seem to have difficulty triaging bug reports back when they were reported through the forum, but the ability to dismiss 95% unread must improve their efficiency a fair bit. The cost is making bugs where the underlying cause isn't obvious to players undetectable, so there's tens of separate reports of the symptoms over the years, which if combined into a single bug would - unless they've changed the thresholds lately - be sufficient to put it well into the top 20.

Without the voting system they might have to actually read the reports to determine that, true.

They didn't seem to have difficulty triaging bug reports back when they were reported through the forum, but the ability to dismiss 95% unread must improve their efficiency a fair bit. The cost is making bugs where the underlying cause isn't obvious to players undetectable, so there's tens of separate reports of the symptoms over the years, which if combined into a single bug would - unless they've changed the thresholds lately - be sufficient to put it well into the top 20.
Ah the "Top 20". That didn't last long when it became obvious that they weren't getting fixed either ;)

Nice of you posting to the issue tracker. But indeed you really need to git gud

1696181789219.png

(Of these 3 were 'fixed' but I guess I was not the only one issue-ing tickets)

You don't need to be popular. Just create 10 fdev accounts on the shop site and self-confirm. Takes a few minutes but then you can just push things through to confirmed. Been much more successful since doing this.

1696155595628.png

(though as Ian says - just because fdev say they fixed it doesn't mean they did - I'd still say that inbox msg in the foot-HUD is not intended)

Seriously though, it shouldn’t be a popularity contest: their validation engineers should consider how many players could be affected by the bug, try to repro it and if they can, mark the severity and priority for the developers to fix. Expired means to me they didn’t even try.
I’m a retired Software Validation Engineer with 10 years at Intel plus another 30 at other companies so I know how it SHOULD work.
…but then they probably don’t have enough VEs to do the work…
Priority is usually the biggest contention between VEs & Developers (and management)…

Seriously though, it shouldn’t be a popularity contest: their validation engineers should consider how many players could be affected by the bug, try to repro it and if they can, mark the severity and priority for the developers to fix. Expired means to me they didn’t even try.
I’m a retired Software Validation Engineer with 10 years at Intel plus another 30 at other companies so I know how it SHOULD work.
…but then they probably don’t have enough VEs to do the work…
Priority is usually the biggest contention between VEs & Developers (and management)…
That and people generally can't identify bug causes, only bug symptoms.

The "not enough wartime massacre missions" bug was a great example of that. (The actual bug was mission generation not detecting state correctly, but everyone thought that was just "unlucky")

The problem in that case being the popularity of "there's not enough massacre missions! Increase the amount" drowning out the "state not getting detected correctly for mission generation".

Last edited:
That and people generally can't identify bug causes, only bug symptoms.

The "not enough wartime massacre missions" bug was a great example of that. (The actual bug was mission generation not detecting state correctly, but everyone thought that was just "unlucky")

The problem in that case being the popularity of "there's not enough massacre missions! Increase the amount" drowning out the "state not getting detected correctly for mission generation".
Then there are the ones that almost everyone in the game can see but can’t be replicated in FDev towers, the one I remember back before Odyssey was a planetary visuals bug that it turned out wouldn’t manifest on machines running analysis and reporting tools.

Do people actually still use the bug tracker ?? I was under the impression it was made the way it was to stop you reporting bugs so they Devs can say we are getting better see less bugs reported ???
I use It on the occasions I hit something I am sure is a bug and not down to me or my connection, I also use it to confirm or vote on reported bugs that I have actually encountered however my playstyle means that doesn’t happen much.

But yes people who care about the game do use it as awkward as it is.

13e.jpg

View attachment 368931

😂
Apparently
13 fixed (2 of which aren't), 3 confirmed (even though 2 of those are actually fixed), 1 confirming, 74 expired (even though quite a few of those are actually fixed, and the vast majority are still bugs). Plus the 4 I made on my alt account which have all expired.

But it's the Issue Tracker, so it's all academic anyway and it is a test of patience at best, and realistically an illusion.

Also Expired literally just means you didn't get 10 confirmations for the issue you created. It's the only actual automated part of the system. To be fair someone did start batch expiring issues over 30 days old with less than 10 confirmations, with a bit more regularity than after every update near the beginning of the year but we have gained 508 new issues in confirming just in the last 2 months.

As Arioch said, you need to game the system more if you want things confirmed. Back when they were still doing the top 20 issues threads, and actually giving it some attention I set out to prove a point for a bug that was personally annoying to me (Selling on the Black Market giving you -25% profit). It had been an issue for 3 years without anything being done, despite it often being highlighted. So I persuaded some people to get it confirmed, then went to the forums and loads of Discords asking people to give 1 vote to it. In a week it became the 5th highest voted issue. 3 weeks later it was fixed.

3 years languishing, then 5 weeks to get fixed just because I was "popular". But those days are behind us.
the condensation bug isn't fixed, i tried that yesterday. it looks like someone threw a bucket of water on my cockpit screen :)
nor is the squadron/friend bug on carriers. fought they would of made that top priority.since nearly all squadrons have at least 2+ carriers these days

Last edited:
Then there are the ones that almost everyone in the game can see but can’t be replicated in FDev towers, the one I remember back before Odyssey was a planetary visuals bug that it turned out wouldn’t manifest on machines running analysis and reporting tools.
Yeah... but anything that isn't making part of the game unplayable should be lowest priority... ymmv. There's plenty of years-old bugs that genuinely break things (e.g outbreak massacres) still kicking around.

You might disagree, but all that does is highlight the issue of relying on user votes.

Support Ikaros

Frontier
Top Bottom