980 better than 780?

I went from a single 780 ti, to SLI 980.
The reason 980 is a great improvement for VR is that it reduces the latency by quite a lot due to architecture changes. Latency is halved from 780 Ti. This is a benefit for VR SLI, as latency is alpha and Omega for vr. It's no longer enough with just a high frame rate.

I went from a single 780 ti, to SLI 980.
The reason 980 is a great improvement for VR is that it reduces the latency by quite a lot due to architecture changes. Latency is halved from 780 Ti. This is a benefit for VR SLI, as latency is alpha and Omega for vr. It's no longer enough with just a high frame rate.
Is that the VR Direct feature or is there more to come? I was under the impression that VR direct had not been introduced on the driver side yet. From what you are saying, my best option for CV1 would be to get rid of my 780 and get SLI 970s (SLI 980 is outside of my budget)

Is that the VR Direct feature or is there more to come? I was under the impression that VR direct had not been introduced on the driver side yet. From what you are saying, my best option for CV1 would be to get rid of my 780 and get SLI 970s (SLI 980 is outside of my budget)

The faster latency from VR Direct isn't implemented yet, and that will apply to all cards. But Nvidia has also reduced the latency on the Maxwell card itself, which gives you a little bit of "manoeuvering room" for latency. This is due to the gpu architecture itself.

I'm still playing with the 460 (think it's 60, could be 80... at work, can't check) and it is fine. I know i should upgrade but I can't justify it as the game runs great.

I'm still playing with the 460 (think it's 60, could be 80... at work, can't check) and it is fine. I know i should upgrade but I can't justify it as the game runs great.

In VR?
Maybe your opinion of "great" differs from mine significantly but I'd expect VR to be a mess on that card.

In VR?
Maybe your opinion of "great" differs from mine significantly but I'd expect VR to be a mess on that card.

indeed. my 670 was just about ok on minimum detail in VR. It was fine at full bubble on a 1080p screen however.

I cant imagine what magic sauce could get ED in VR working properly on a GTX460.

Tried my gtx470 because I sold my 970 to upgrade to 980. I was surprised that theoretically you could play on the rift with everything on low and the rift quality slider in the middle. Although it managed 75fps, the ugliness was too much.

indeed. my 670 was just about ok on minimum detail in VR. It was fine at full bubble on a 1080p screen however.

I cant imagine what magic sauce could get ED in VR working properly on a GTX460.

I think Joe must have gotten lost in the VR subforum and was talking about just playing in on a 1080p monitor.

Well, I got my 980 yesterday and replaced my 780. Discovering Space, Alien Isolation and several other Rift apps are far better. I haven't tried ED yet.

Top Bottom