Community Event / Creation The BRC presents a Race for Long Range Ships: Nebulocity (3-11 June 3303)

JAboDEk.png

>=>=>=> SUBMIT ENTRY <=<=<=<

WELCOME!

Especially to any newcomers to Buckyball Racing who may have come here from Newsletter #177. Thanks for the shoutout, Frontier!

OBJECTIVE

Starting at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system, visit the stations and tourist beacons specified below, making sure to take in the views of four nearby nebulas!

LEADERBOARDS

z3svVsC.png

DESCRIPTION

In recent years racers have seen significant improvements made to their vehicles, and humanity has been pushing the boundaries of the Bubble farther and farther, some organizations even establishing stations in the deepest regions of space. In celebration of all that human progress the Buckyball Racing Club is hosting Nebulocity. Nebulocity starts at the newly constructed Rebuy Station in the Fullerene C60 system, and takes racers on a whirlwind tour of four nearby nebulas, some familiar and others less so.

EVENTS, DIVISIONS, and CLASSES

EVENTS
Nebulocity is comprised of two events in order to make the race accessible to newer racers and those with restricted financial situations, an Intro event and a Main event.

Both events start at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system and end at Ring Mine in the 2MASS J03291977+3124572 system, but have different stops along the way. Events can be run in reverse (starting at Ring Mine and ending at Rebuy Prospect) allowing pilots two opportunities per round trip to get their best time. (note: The race organizer understands that reversed courses are not always balanced against their forward direction, and is okay with that.)

DIVISIONS
The main event has multiple divisions, dictating what ship type(s) can be raced in that event. Each event division will have its own leaderboards.

CLASSES
Pilots choose to race in either the Standard or Unlimited class for both events. The Standard class is prohibited from utilizing Horizons-only benefits; but anything goes in the Unlimited class. This is a one-time choice made when you submit your first run. All further submissions in both events must abide by that choice. Note that this results in two leaderboards for each event/division. Both events have two or three additional waypoints for those racing in the Unlimited class.

EVENT DESCRIPTIONS

In these descriptions links will be provided to example builds, but you are free to choose and build out ships however you prefer, so long as they follow all requirements for Class and Division. For information on how to collect race evidence at tourist beacons, see the Submitting Entries section below.

EVENT 1 -- Route Six-66
Intro Event
This is the easiest event to race in, and the least expensive for which to acquire a ship. It bypasses the larger, more well-known nebula that can be seen from Human space, and instead focuses on three smaller ones.

Divisions
This event only has one division: Hauler.

Route
  • Start at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system.
  • Race to the HIP 16813 system.
  • Dock at Sisters' Refuge (planetary ring asteroid).
  • Race to the T Tauri system.
  • Dock at Hind Mine (planetary ring asteroid).
  • If racing in the Unlimited class:
    • Collect Evidence at the Hind Nebula View planetary tourist beacon.
  • Race to the BD+30 623 system. (666 LYs from Fullerene C60)
  • Collect media evidence at the Little Blue tourist beacon.
    • Race to the HIP 18077 system.
    • Dock at Mahon Research Base (planetary base).
  • Race to the 2MASS J03291977+3124572 system.
  • Dock at Ring Mine (planetary ring asteroid).
EVENT 2 -- California Dreamin'
Main Event
This event takes racers to a wide variety of asteroid bases and tourism beacons in deep-space, all situated in or around five nebulas in the rough direction of the California Nebula.

Divisions
Any ship can be raced in this event, but they will be separated by size.

Route
  • Start at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system.
  • Race to the HIP 16813 system.
  • Dock at Sisters' Refuge (planetary ring asteroid)
  • Race to the Pleione system.
  • Dock at Stargazer (asteroid belt asteroid).
  • Race to the T Tauri system.
  • Dock at Hind Mine (planetary ring asteroid).
    • Collect evidence at the Hind Nebula View planetary tourist beacon.
  • Race to the BD+30 623 system.
  • Collect media evidence at the Little Blue tourist beacon.
    • Race to the HIP 18077 system.
    • Dock at Mahon Research Base (planetary base).
  • Race to the California Sector BA-A E6 system.
  • Collect media evidence at the Alliance Outpost in the California Nebula tourist beacon.
    • Collect media evidence at the Mic Turner Bark Mounds planetary tourist beacon.
  • Race to the California Sector BV-Y C7 system.
  • Dock at Darwin Research Facility (solitary, stellar asteroid).
  • Race to the 2MASS J03291977+3124572 system.
  • Dock at Ring Mine (planetary ring asteroid).

SUBMITTING ENTRIES

For this race, you will submit a Google form rather than send email.

Before racing, please review the Buckyball Racing Club's "How to Enter" article for info on how to collect evidence.

TOURIST BEACONS
This race features the use of Tourist Beacons as waypoints. To collect evidence at these locations you must be within 75100 meters of the beacon, have it selected, and your ship must be stationary (i.e., shows a speed of 0). For example:
44dCRwZ.png

DECLARING INTENT TO RACE

Before racing, it is customary to declare your intent to race by posting in the thread, but it is not strictly necessary. To declare your intent, specify the following:
CMDR Name (forum alias)
Standard/Unlimited Class
Intro Event
Hauler Ship Name
Main Event - [Division]
Other Ship Name

So my intent to race might look like:

CMDR Jak (Jhyrryl)
Unlimited Class
Intro Event
Mini Enigma
Main Event - Small (Unlimited)
Enigma Limo (Dolphin)

BEAUTY SHOTS AND HOLO-ME

If you are in 1st-place on any leaderboard the podium requires both a beauty shot of your ship, and a capture of your Holo-Me avatar.
How-To Beauty Shot
  • drop out of supercruise next to a class F star in Solo;
  • orient the ship so that the star fills the upper-left screen;
  • open the camera suite (CTRL+ALT+SPACE by default);
  • switch to the SHIP FRONT camera and hide the UI (RSHIFT+/ by default)
  • take a screenshot (F10);

How-To Holo-Me
  • Open Holo-Me from Station Services
  • switch to the HEAD tab;
  • take a screenshot;
Upload both screenshots to imgur.com or other appropriate hosting service, then include links to them with your submission.

FAQ

Q: What are the dates, again?
A: The race started on the 3rd of June, 3303 and ends on the 18th of June, 3303.

Q: How close to tourist beacons do I need be in order for it to count?
A: 100 meters. Previously it had been 75 meters, but then someone demonstrated that an Anaconda needs more room. Prior to that it had been 50 meters!

Q: In systems with 2+ destinations, can I visit them in any order or only that provided in the event description?
A: For systems with multiple destinations, you can visit those destinations in any order.

Q: Even when running in reverse?
A: Especially when running in reverse.

Q: How many ships can I race?
A: 4, but all must be in the same Class (i.e., either Standard or Unlimited).

Q: So I can race in all three divisions of California Dreamin' and a Hauler in Route Six-66?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I race a Hauler for the small ships division of California Dreamin'?
A: Yes. Do you think that's a winning strategy?

Q: Do you think I want to win?
A: This is the perfect race for people who like to visit new places more than winning. Racing is about doing a little of both.

GOOD LUCK!

Fly fast, CMDR!

Last edited:
A REQUEST FROM THE ORGANIZER

If you normally play with Horizons using engineered ships, please race the Unlimited class events and leave the Standard class to those who do not, allowing them to be competitive amongst each other. Thanks.

This is super-secret project. You no belong here.
Really. Don't spoil yourself.
​​
0Cq1wHq.png

WELCOME!

Road Rally Racing (RRR) is an offshoot of the Buckyball Racing Club with a focus on racing ground vehicles through planetary outposts and (eventually) cities. Unlike BRC races, RRR is a seasonal Championship event. Each season lasts 3 months with competing racers submitting times for six courses. At the end of the season, the champion is the racer with the shortest total time for all six courses.

OBJECTIVE

Each season, visit all six courses and race against the clock to get your best times.

DESCRIPTION

There is no "flavor" for a Champion-series event...it's racing for racing's sake. Go FAST! and do it skillfully. What should be noted, particularly if you are familiar with other BRC races, is that courses will generally be selected from heavier-G worlds than are typically used for long-distance "fliving" events.

CLASSES

Although there is currently only one: the Scarab SRV, it is expected that future updates to the game will introduce new ground vehicles. While we will need to wait and see what any such new vehicles will bring to the game, they are likely to be sufficiently different to warrant making separate racing classes for each. Drivers will be allowed to compete in all classes.

BEAUTY SHOTS AND HOLO-ME

Leaderboards requires both a beauty shot of your vehicle, and a capture of your Holo-Me avatar. It's a good idea to prepare these before declaring your intent to race (described below).

How To Take...
Beauty Shots

• position your vehicle so that it is facing a bright light source;
  • open the camera suite (CTRL+ALT+SPACE by default);
  • switch to the SRV FRONT camera and hide the UI (RSHIFT+/ by default)
  • take a screenshot (F10);

Holo-Me Shots

• Open Holo-Me from Station Services
  • switch to the HEAD tab;
  • take a screenshot;
Upload both screenshots to imgur.com or other appropriate hosting service, then include links to them with your race declaration.

DECLARING INTENT TO RACE

Before racing a course, you are REQUIRED to declare your intent to race by posting in the thread for that season. You must make this declaration at least an hour in advance of your attempt, but no more than 24 hours beforehand, and you must start the attempt within an hour of your posted time.

To declare your intent, specify the following:
driver: CMDR Name
nav: Navigator's CMDR Name if using one (and their Forums Alias if applicable)
Course Name (Star System)
Vehicle Name (Vehicle Type)
Start Date / Time

So my intent to race might look like:
driver: CMDR Jak (Jhyrryl)
nav: CMDR Bruski
Ceres Tarn (HR 1185)
Bug-nigma (Scarab SRV)
16 Oct 3303 05:00:00

Editing a declaration of intent post will disqualify the attempt and require the declaration of a new run, including the 1-hour minimum notice.

Once you submit the details for a declared run, you cannot re-declare intent for the same course until you have submitted details for all 6 courses.

Finally, you may only have one "active" declaration at a time. Before you can declare intent to race another course, you must close an active declaration by either submitting the run details, or submitting a Did Not Finish result. Both are accomplished through the same submission form.

USING A NAVIGATOR

You are permitted to get real-time assistance while racing. A navigator will hover or fly above the course in a ship while you race the ground vehicle. It is the navigator's responsibility to remind you of course details, such as:

• where to turn;
  • the direction to loop around an antenna or light post;
  • jumps to make;
  • the location of large rocks and other obstacles;
  • et cetera.

This can be tremendously helpful, as Road Rally Racing courses can be very complex with lots of twists and turns. Breaking a course down into smaller areas ahead of time will help you remember these things so that you can focus on driving, but a live navigator is much more reliable.

That being said, there is a downside to using a live navigator: there is a bug that amplifies damage to vehicles when other CMDRs are in the same instance. While you are allowed to repair your vehicle mid-race, you will have to decide for yourself if the benefit of a live navigator outweighs the additional damage you vehicle will take from his or her presence.

If you acquire a Navigator between the time of your declaration and the start of your run, DO NOT edit your declaration, as any edit to a declaration post will disqualify the run attempt. It will be sufficient to include the Navigator's info with your submission.

COLLECTING EVIDENCE

You must record your race attempts using video capture; screenshots will not suffice.

Start recording your video while still in your ship, and docked at the race course's location. Make sure that the station date matches your declaration date, and that the station time is at least as late as your declaration time, but by no more than 1-hour.

Deploy your vehicle and drive to the start line. Make sure to position your vehicle's front wheels behind the starting line by using headlook or the camera suite. Repair your vehicle if needed.

Once positioned and displaying a speed of 0, go when ready. The vehicle's HUD clock must be visible when your speed reaches or exceeds 1. Your run's start time will be time on the clock your speed 1+.

Follow the route specified for that course, and don't stop recording until you've crossed the finish line and come to a complete stop.

It is recommended that if an hour has not passed since your declared start time, that you return to your ship and rerun as many times as possible within the 1-hour window of opportunity, then upload the fastest time from among those attempts.

RULES OF THE ROAD

The map provided for each course represents intent more than exact location. For example, when looping around Defence Turrets or Antenna Bases, the intent is to go around in the direction indicated, not to exactly follow the path of the line. When reading a map there are a couple of rules to follow to make sure you obey the course's intent.

1. When the line curves around an obstacle, going around is the intent. Jumping over the obstacle is not. For example, jumping over the corner of a landing pad structure is never the intent when the line clearly goes around.
  2. Likewise, when the line passes between obstacles, going between them is the intent, not around both. For example, a hairpin turn that goes through a small opening between two structures requires you to go between the structures; you can't execute a bigger hairpin that takes you around both.
  3. Orange lines indicate a significantly elevated pathway, as in, atop buildings. Take care not to fall.
  4. Lines on roadways intend for you to drive on the roadway. If you fall off a roadway (or building), get back on where you fell off. If you can't, double *back* to a location where you can; do not drive ahead to reconnect with the course in a way that has you skip a section of the roadway.
  5. Dotted lines mark sections of the course where you can route however you like to cross an area. Some "Storage Area" platforms will include examples of this, and it will be common on open terrain that lacks obstacles.
  6. Solid red arrows mark intended jumps. These are mostly on the map to make you aware of the obstacles before you reach them. Some "Storage Area" platforms and small single-ramp structures are the most likely places to find these.
  7. On some courses, arrows on the line will be different colors to help clarify rare situations where the course doubles back on itself, re-crosses the same location twice, or is otherwise complex in its criss-crossing.

SUBMITTING ENTRIES

For Road Rally Racing events, you will submit a Google form with the necessary information. Remember, you must submit the details of a declared run or plead a Did Not Finish before you can declare another run.

FAQ

Q: I'm confused by the restrictions on declaring intent. Why are they like that?
A: While you are allowed to run and submit the details of each course separately, you must run them consecutively. That is to say, you can only work to improve your total time for all 6 courses as a whole.
Q: Can you provide an example?
A: Imagine a season with 6 courses named A, B, C, D, E, and F. You choose to run course D first, and declare it. When done you have a choice: accept the time and choose another course to run, or; reject the time and submit a DNF so that you can re-declare for course D. If you submit the details, you cannot return to course D for the current attempt at the full season. However, after completing the season and submitting details for all 6 courses, you may attempt to improve on that total time by beginning a new attempt at the season.
Q: Is fliving permitted?
A: It is, but note Rules of the Road #1: no going over obstacles that are meant for you to go around.
Q: How can I tell exactly where a start line is?
A: It will always be some obvious feature: like the boundary between a structure's ramp and the terrain, or the crease between a ramp and the structure itself.

GOOD LUCK!

Drive fast, CMDR!

Last edited:
Ok I'll bite.

CMDR Name : Pete 'FoxTwo' Aldric
Forum Name: FoxTwo
Intro Event: N/A (not gonna race that)
Main Event - Small/unlimited
Ship Name: Quantum Leap (DBX)

Did a trial run, to get a feel of how much time I'll be needing. Let's just say I took one too many bathroom breaks :)

Is that because of how long the DBX takes to fuel scoop? <g>

Naaaahh.... it's the distance of the bathroom to my PC :D Took too long to get back!

Actually it kinda is..... largest scoop available is a class 4... so.... there you go

Last edited:
Let's see if I have this straight...

There are eight different scoreboards, but if I enter any unlimited, I'm excluded from the standard, and vice versa. And since I'm an experienced racer, I'm supposed to do Unlimited. But I AM allowed to enter multiple unlimited categories, right?

VDNNWYB.jpg

And the routes for the following categories look like this:

86gioqK.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait no, only one division entry per event? So, for example, if I do Small Unlimited California, I can't do a Large Unlimited California or Medium Unlimited California?

I'll be honest, this seems very confusing. :S

There are eight scoreboards, but any racer can only be on two of them, correct?

Last edited:
My understanding is that if you've chosen, say, "Small/Unlimited" for a run, you're stuck with this for that board. So you could potentially have 1 "Medium/Unlimited" and 1 "Small/Unlimited" in 2 separate boards (Intro / Main Event)

Last edited:
I'll be honest, this seems very confusing. :S

There are eight scoreboards, but any racer can only be on two of them, correct?
Oops.

In my rush to get the rules up quickly, I overlooked modifying certain details in the final version. You see, I initially had a 3rd event with multiple divisions, and given the nature of the route I wanted to restrict people to a single entry per event to avoid them burning out while trying to run them all. At some point I said that out loud to my wife and realized I was being over-eager and should just cut an event, making it unnecessary to be quite so restrictive.

I'll get an update done asap...pilots can run in all 4 divisions, but they all still need to be in the same class.

Oops.

In my rush to get the rules up quickly, I overlooked modifying certain details in the final version. You see, I initially had a 3rd event with multiple divisions, and given the nature of the route I wanted to restrict people to a single entry per event to avoid them burning out while trying to run them all. At some point I said that out loud to my wife and realized I was being over-eager and should just cut an event, making it unnecessary to be quite so restrictive.

I'll get an update done asap...pilots can run in all 4 divisions, but they all still need to be in the same class.

LOL ok sorry if I sound a little bit MORE confused....

Divisions = small / medium / large ship type
Class = Standard / Unlimited entries

So you said "4 divisions" but there's only 3...

Secondly....your statement also implies that should I choose to run in the Unlimited class, I am forever bound to *ONLY* Unlimited runs for the duration of the event, right?

As an example - let's say I chose to run Small / Unlimited... I could then run Medium / Unlimited and maybe even a Large / Unlimited, but I cannot run a Medium / Standard?

Last edited:
LOL ok sorry if I sound a little bit MORE confused....

Divisions = small / medium / large ship type
Class = Standard / Unlimited entries

So you said "4 divisions" but there's only 3...
Small, medium, large, and... HAULER! :D
What Bruski said. :)

Secondly....your statement also implies that should I choose to run in the Unlimited class, I am forever bound to *ONLY* Unlimited runs for the duration of the event, right?

As an example - let's say I chose to run Small / Unlimited... I could then run Medium / Unlimited and maybe even a Large / Unlimited, but I cannot run a Medium / Standard?
That's correct. I'd prefer that people with access to good access to Horizons left room on some leaderboards for people who have not/could not extensively engineer their ships.

Last edited:
That's correct. I'd prefer that people with access to good access to Horizons left room on some leaderboards for people who have not/could not extensively engineer their ships.

Actually I like this thinking ... we often have these Unlimited and Regulation classes (the latter being ostensibly for those that don't have unlimited funds and time to be able to run in the very best ships that money and engineeering can achieve) but in practice it's often viewed by the best racers as simply two opportunities to get a podium place. I'll raise my hand and say that's certainly in part how I viewed Aquarian Job (the other part being "how well can I do when we're all on an equal footing" vs. "what's the fastest time I can possibly do").

So yeah, choose the class that's appropriate to you and stick with it. I can roll with that.

So... not wanting to go poking around with EDSM and such at work... how may light-years are we talking, total, for the Unlimited route?

I won't be entering Large regardless - I don't own any Large ships, and the only one I have any desire to own, I don't have the Imperial rank for yet - but I will almost certainly show up for Small/Unlimited (with Joyeuse, natch) and possibly Medium/Unlimited (with Excalibur in her A* Challenge build, as she is the only Medium ship I own!). But given even an extremely engineered Fer-de-Lance can only jump so far, I want to know what kind of time commitment I am looking at here before I commit to enter her ;)

Obviously, I am not expecting to be competitive with either entry. I mean, in theory, Joyeuse could be vaguely competitive, except I have seen what some of you lunatics can do with an engineered Hauler (looking at you, Cookiehole). I will be utterly shocked if Excalibur finishes anywhere other than dead last. This is all about the fun.

I should also observe that my entry is contingent on my having actually returned from Sgr A* (either from my current plotting trip, or possibly from actually running the Challenge if I manage to do that next weekend - which is a definite "maybe" at this point).

Actually, I would say the most likely outcome is that this race will cause me to postpone Excalibur's A* Challenge run. I don't really want to think about flying 22.6k ly home (from where Excalibur is, currently), then running the A* Challenge, then flying 26k ly home again before June 3. [knocked out]

EDIT: Somehow I managed to say the same thing twice, and neither time well. Fixed that.

Last edited:
So... not wanting to go poking around with EDSM and such at work... how may light-years are we talking, total, for the Unlimited route?

For Unlimited, the full-length route (California Dreamin') is 1091 light years, and the shorter Hauler route (Route Six-66) is 972 light years. The Standard class saves about 20 light years from each.

(Info from EDDB via furrycat's Catbot)

For Unlimited, the full-length route (California Dreamin') is 1091 light years, and the shorter Hauler route (Route Six-66) is 972 light years. The Standard class saves about 20 light years from each.

(Info from EDDB via furrycat's Catbot)

Thank you!

Yeah, I can definitely run Excalibur that far. She has... well, what would be considered an almost respectable jump range for a Standard ship (Never mind she's running in Unlimited :p ), so 1k ly is not a problem at all.

So, having verified that... intent to race:

CMDR Timothy Knight (Rankaze)
Main Event - Small/Unlimited
Joyeuse (Imperial Courier)

CMDR Timothy Knight (Rankaze)
Main Event - Medium/Unlimited
Excalibur (Fer-de-Lance)

Last edited:
Top Bottom