Discussion A cheeky request for a client side api

I've been mulling something over for a while and this is mainly directed at the dev's. First off as a professional developer (of the best kind, C/C++ ;) ) I know what I'm just about to ask is a bit cheeky, will prob get ignored or have been thought about internally at ED and rejected but I'm going to ask anyway.

Would it be possible to have a client side API. That is to say a way to get information out of a running client and possibly send stuff back in?

I ask because there are a few things I'd love to see and would be willing to spend my free time developing.
1) I used to play a lot of flight sim I would love to be able have in game UI panels on one or more external displays (a table or another pc). I've ran into trouble a few times trying to fiy and type messages at the same time. Off loading the chat to a remote unit would help. Also having the systems object list (not the system map) on a remote display would be a big plus as I'm for ever looking at stuff in free look wondering what's that, again this is mainly a CoL as I've getting old and my memory is not as good as it was ;)
2) I would love a way to set my jump course from an external source. I see the Gal map as the primary tool for navigation but being able to "send in" an ordered list of star system names that make up a route would be super and soooo powerful.

As to how, I'd love a named pipe (or a UNIX socket on Mac) with say JSON objects being sent each way ;)

I know it's a very big ask, time is limited, bug lists get bigger, deadline are deadlines, "it's never that simple" and with today's weather I'd want to be down the pub :)

Thanks

Top Bottom