A hands on experience... Literally?

There are tons of input devices coming out that have been kickstarted. However, they are very expensive. The only reasonably cost efficient hand trackers are the Leap Motion and the Kinect (and soon the Nimble Sense), all of which have issues (ie: occlusion and latency)

If something like ControlVR became wireless and the price dropped from $600(wired) to I would say.. $200(wireless), then that could very well become the standard method of input.

PrioVR, if it eventually comes with a glove add-on, is a strong contender as well. If it gets to be wireless.

With any of these options, we, as developers, need a standard way of accessing "VR control devices".. as it sits, they are all using proprietary SDK's. :mad: Seriously.. I don't need to program every make and model of mouse or keyboard.. so why in the bloody heck do I need to program every VR controller?

/sigh

Personally, I want an elite dangerous flight suit. IMU's + Blue/Red connectivity LED's where the avatar's are. If it was climate controlled, then I want that as well. Make it happen Frontier!

Last edited:
Last night, playing ED, I reached up and pressed buttons in my cockpit. Not because I thought it would work, but because I felt it 'should' work. I felt so connected to my ship that I wanted to extend that and have the ship respond to more than just my joystick/throttle/head movements.

For me it was just roleplaying, but i can imagine that the next step is a kinect, or leap motion or similar and 'hot zones' in the 3D environment that will allow interaction, along with my in game arms moving of course. I really want to see my in game arms track to my real motion.

Top Bottom