A Lakon concept I've been working on

Originally I meant to put this in the Suggestions forum, but I felt that may have been too intrusive.
So rather than risking being scowled upon by the community, I decided to put this in a more light-hearted part of the forums.
I don't really expect the Developers to take notice of this, but it'd be rather nice if they did.

The Lakon Type 17 Freighter
An new pattern of ship that was designed to improve upon the Type 7 and overcome its shortcomings as a Freighter.
Certain Shortcomings listed in no particular order:
  • Large "forehead" that occasionally gets in the way of landing
  • Questionably mediocre cargo space, on par with Faulcon DeLacy's Python despite being noticably larger
  • Overheating tendencies
  • Large landing pad requirement despite it's small dimensions
  • Inadequate combat capabilities
And so, Lakon took note of these as they designed the Type 17, with features such as:
  • A panoramic cockpit straddled high upon the body, ensuring no hidden bits of ship get caught in the airlock
  • A flattened and elongated design to cram within the spaces of Medium landing pads
  • Improved hardpoint sizes and placements, to ensure better self defense capabilities, with 2 small hardpoints below the forward fuselage and 2 medium ones above the rear nacelles.

Last edited:
Being honest so far it does not really scream Lakon. Lakon ships are geometric blocks that 'grow' from the T-6 which is really the seed design. The T-7 is an outlier certainly, but it still has design cues you need to incorporate.

Its ironic too because the original T-7 had a cockpit design 'inverted' on top, but was swapped around to its current layout if I remember correctly from pre-alpha.

Last edited:
in all honesty I think the main issue is it's landing pad size and that's down to its height, plus the cockpit is there as it's an offshoot to the T range

I do like the idea of transporter ships purposely built on the dimensions of the landing pad though, big blocky space cows that are slow, tough, and minimal hardpoints

Yeh, Large landing pad requirement let this one down.

If that was suddenly changed to Medium because outposts tweaked their pads to allow more ships to land to boost economy, then that would be welcomed.

I enjoyed my time in the T7 but then it was easier to use a slightly smaller Python with less cargo capacity and be able to land at Outposts,
making the T7 obsolete very quickly.
Shame really.

These calls for new ships could easily be put to bed by just changing some loadouts and designs and write into the game as a manufacturer overhaul.

You have 2 small hardpoints below the cockpit, underneath the fuselage and 2 medium hardpoints above the rear nacelles.
How would you feel about 8 small hardpoints and two medium hardpoints? It's a large ship, anyway. I'm quite fond of Type-7 weapon placement actually, some three overcharged enforcer cannons converge nicely, and having a railgun on the top is too above for the aiming reticule to function properly sometimes, but it's really funny. Then just overcharge powerplant until it just almost explodes and fill up module space intended for cargo with shield reinforcements and armor.

There appears to be some heavy influence from Space 1999 Eagle

Attachments

• Space 1999 Eagle.jpg
    Space 1999 Eagle.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 141
Top Bottom