A possible "worse than thargoids" threat idea

I know that probably doesn't fit all the hints they have released until now, but it would be cool

The last thing the Guardians did to end their civil war and all future conflicts among them was to order their artificial intelligence to wipe out their civilization.

Since humanity discovered guardian tech and now is adding it to their ships, a Guardian AI could mistake humanity for guardiankind and continue with their extinction procedure.

Last edited:
I would love to see the Guardian AI activating, a strange, old machine sentience emerging from the fringes of physical reality, clues of strange dimensions supported by alien networks of ancient supercomputers... Or revelations of the Guardian race, how they put their last hope, mission, and perhaps some DNA on some distant Hominid species, on some faraway earth-like world, before finally being consumed by their virtual civilization. Or Thargoids being truly incomprehensible, emergent form of biological life and technology, developed somewhere else, for such a long time, that they finally became indistinguishable, losing any sentience in the process, a living machine, the ultimate transmigration of life, into something that is neither dead or alive, beyond these categories. Humanity itself could exceed our expectations, somewhere along centuries of spacetravel and blank spots of our indoctrinated history, and that of automated surveillance and controlled enviroments, could lie distant colonies, entire civilizations, parallel versions of our selves, where Lave Station is a distant, glorified memory and any contact is forbidden. Or it could be a story of good intentions turned into greed and control, a Black secret in our age, decades of trafficking of alien technology and life, compromising the entire existence of our species, because an armsrace, profits, and power, could never be given away freely, stopped and revealed.

At this point in life of a game, that is late developement, lore, among other things, tends to have a life of its own, grow wings, and fly beyond any reasonable expectations.

Yeah, I think this is a great idea. Considering we don't have the effective weapon that we had in the first Thargoid War - Mycoid - I think our only hope at this point is either further reverse-engineering or straight up salvaging newly discovered Guardian Tech. Having said that, if we inadvertently activate some sort of failsafe protocol and the Guardian AI reawakens, I think that'd add a lot of interesting possibilities to the game.

As the Thargoid hivemind seems to be of bee or ant nature thus they´re individually of "primitive" intelect let´s hope they don´t integrate guardian AI because then they might formulate a coherent strategy f.ex. an attack on the FSD supply chain! Now it´s more like pure coincedence or random luck. With a potential cybernetic thargoid the game changes drastically.

Top Bottom