About to think about building a xeno hunter.

A small video about the effectiveness of the above mentioned Anti-Xeno-Initiative tactics and the Gauss in particular (y)

I started recording a bit late, and fooled around 5 minutes with that Dropship before in an empty thread 5 USS to test some
FAoff orbiting. Entered this T5 USS with roughly 3/4 ammo and some heatsinks spent.

This video is a demonstration why I don't really like the current Thargoid system.
I jumped in there and blew away a Cyclops without having played for 4 days and without ever testing this build AT ALL.
It's just my military hull PvP FDS with two guardian HRPs and AX weapons slapped on.
I transferred it to Malthus before the weekend, jumped to Blackmount, added a Xeno Scanner and a remote flak and went for it.
This was literally my first try with an unshielded Dropship. And I made several mistakes.
The xeno scanner isn't even needed as you can manually aim for the exerted hearts (which I did aim for, you just can't see it in the video :LOL:)

I'm eager to solo a Basilisk now, just to prove to myself I can do it. Still standing at Cyclops solo.
(Kudos to Rinzler who killed a Hydra in a similiar FDS - first Hydra with FDS solo iirc, but not sure)

But this heatsink-resynth meta is driving me nuts. (Did I ever mention I hate synthing?)

Build:

But this heatsink-resynth meta is driving me nuts. (Did I ever mention I hate synthing?)
I also hate synthing - I never do it except for SRV fuel and ammo, so I doubt I will ever down a Basilisk let alone anything higher.
Thumbs up for flying a dropship, naming it "The Dropship" and just to be sure you don't forget what ship your flying -spell it out with bubblehead letters(y)

A small video about the effectiveness of the above mentioned Anti-Xeno-Initiative tactics and the Gauss in particular (y)
Great video and awesome to see more FDS users, Rinzler would be proud.

This video is a demonstration why I don't really like the current Thargoid system.

I totally agree the current meta can get a little stale, we have been actively trying to reach out to FDev directly countless times to get some balance parses on the other AX weapons, they will need a serious buff if they are going to be of any use.

Though experience is another element, as you mentioned it was a PvP FDS so clearly you have plenty of combat experience, though as we deal with new players almost daily some certainly have a lot of trouble on a cyclops even with a max engineered Krait with 4 Medium Gauss.

The issue here isn't that Gauss or Heatsink Synth Meta is OP.... but rather that all the other styles/weapons are FAR too underpowered, limiting choice significantly.

This was literally my first try with an unshielded Dropship. And I made several mistakes.

Great to see more taking up the "Unshielded Meta", it's a lot of fun imo and the added risk just makes it even more exciting. One of my favourite activities of late has been trying to speed-run kills with an unshielded ramming chief, best so far is a 4:28 Basilisk...

I'm eager to solo a Basilisk now, just to prove to myself I can do it. Still standing at Cyclops solo.

From that video you are certainly capable of it, just gotta watch the speed, the FDS is certainly a bit slower and every m/s counts on a Basilisk, Good luck o7

I also hate synthing - I never do it except for SRV fuel and ammo, so I doubt I will ever down a Basilisk let alone anything higher.

Basilisk is 100% doable without synths, would recommend at least 3x Engineered heatsinks and you should have enough, key is to keep your range below 1.5km when firing and it will only take a few shots.

Great video and awesome to see more FDS users, Rinzler would be proud.

I totally agree the current meta can get a little stale, we have been actively trying to reach out to FDev directly countless times to get some balance parses on the other AX weapons, they will need a serious buff if they are going to be of any use.

Though experience is another element, as you mentioned it was a PvP FDS so clearly you have plenty of combat experience, though as we deal with new players almost daily some certainly have a lot of trouble on a cyclops even with a max engineered Krait with 4 Medium Gauss.

The issue here isn't that Gauss or Heatsink Synth Meta is OP.... but rather that all the other styles/weapons are FAR too underpowered, limiting choice significantly.

Great to see more taking up the "Unshielded Meta", it's a lot of fun imo and the added risk just makes it even more exciting. One of my favourite activities of late has been trying to speed-run kills with an unshielded ramming chief, best so far is a 4:28 Basilisk...

From that video you are certainly capable of it, just gotta watch the speed, the FDS is certainly a bit slower and every m/s counts on a Basilisk, Good luck o7

Basilisk is 100% doable without synths, would recommend at least 3x Engineered heatsinks and you should have enough, key is to keep your range below 1.5km when firing and it will only take a few shots.
My first try yesterday wasn't successful because I couldn't gain range on the Basilisk to resynth.
Gonna watch your vid today to get some ideas to counter that.

My first try yesterday wasn't successful because I couldn't gain range on the Basilisk to resynth.
Gonna watch your vid today to get some ideas to counter that.
That particular video was a bit more of a "Throw myself at it to kill it faster" strategy, and isnt terribly conservative.

A more conservatice tactic might be a bit more like this:

The difference being I would wait for the shield to deplete between each run, however this would require a ship that can outrun or at least kite somewhat.

In your situation, the best way to gain distance is to use fly-bys. Boost past the goid once it starts to catch up, turn around and do another flyby. Pop Silent-running or a heatsink whenever you fly past, this will prevent the goid from getting a lock on you and it will miss most of its shots while you fly-by. Even the basilisk has trouble accelerating, so every time you make it turn around and re-accelerate you give yourself more time to gain distance.

That particular video was a bit more of a "Throw myself at it to kill it faster" strategy, and isnt terribly conservative.

A more conservatice tactic might be a bit more like this:

The difference being I would wait for the shield to deplete between each run, however this would require a ship that can outrun or at least kite somewhat.

In your situation, the best way to gain distance is to use fly-bys. Boost past the goid once it starts to catch up, turn around and do another flyby. Pop Silent-running or a heatsink whenever you fly past, this will prevent the goid from getting a lock on you and it will miss most of its shots while you fly-by. Even the basilisk has trouble accelerating, so every time you make it turn around and re-accelerate you give yourself more time to gain distance.
Sounds interesting. I gained range on it at first, over 4 km, then it slowly started to overtake me.
As I'm not experienced with Basilisks, then it went downhill when my heatsinks were depleted.

...I gained range on it at first, over 4 km, then it slowly started to overtake me...
Yep, when this happens, turn around, boost past it. You should reach 6-7km before it starts to catch up again, this should give you enough time to synth.

Top Bottom