Accellerometer/gyro tracking ? Smartphones ?

I'm pretty sure i'm not the first one to have a spare android smartphone lying about which would make
a perfect IR tracking alternative. Pretty much all of them have accellerometer and later ones have gyro too.

I have original Samsung Galaxy S lying about gathering dust. It doesnt have gyro, but it has acc/magnetomoeter to
determine its oriantation in all three axis.

Anyone ever tried to stick a phone to their head for tracking ?

I'm pretty sure i'm not the first one to have a spare android smartphone lying about which would make
a perfect IR tracking alternative. Pretty much all of them have accellerometer and later ones have gyro too.

I have original Samsung Galaxy S lying about gathering dust. It doesnt have gyro, but it has acc/magnetomoeter to
determine its oriantation in all three axis.

Anyone ever tried to stick a phone to their head for tracking ?
If you want a all life JUDDER! Those sensors are awful.
DK1 was having that way of tracking, but you had to reset because it was loosing position most of the time.

What about later phones ? Galaxy s-II and on have gyros on them too.
I have an S5 at the moment. Probably will try to strap that to my head then :D
Did first oculus use gyros or just an accellerometer ?

What about later phones ? Galaxy s-II and on have gyros on them too.
I have an S5 at the moment. Probably will try to strap that to my head then :D
Did first oculus use gyros or just an accellerometer ?

For a better sensor at that point DK2 will be cheaper.
Plus for me Smartphones are good for nearly everything but perfect in Nothing!!

Don't remember but on Oculus site the should be specs, but the sensors where also High frequenzy sensors, sensors that you will never find in s normal smartphone.

I'm more curious on there implementation with googlenow and Assistance apps, people in E: D are trying to give intelligence to there VA the same way Smartphone are already having it from years.

Well, i set up tracking on my phone, got opentrack to read my phones output,
but for the life of me cant figure how to comfig it in elite. Game wont react to
me trying to reassign freelook axes.

Ideas ?

Game should react automatically. Look at octopus in opentrack and move head. If octous moving, game should react, if not, you need to check opentrack configuration.

Yeah, restarted game and it is all well.
But, dayumn, dat jitter... Any way to filter out horizontal (yaw) movement jitter ?
Makes my head hurt. Tried to mess with filter settings - doesnt help much...

I have mapped movements to my liking, but horizontal jitter is driving me nuts...

i updated tutorial - look for new mapping proposition - try to disable roll or set it to 1:1. You can also try with accela filter settings.

Why tracking is so grainy ? As if "resolution" is way low. Somehow i dont believe that phone is outputting such coarse grain data...
Been watching some videos on tubes to see other tracking things - no such granularity. Still researching.

I got to try a Samsung Gear dev/prototype the other day. I was very curious as to how it would compare to the DK2. Well the quality of the screen was fantastic, and the head tracking seemed spot on. the demo 'game' I was playing was designed for a fairly slow & steady style though, so I didnt push it with looking about quickly and it certainly didnt have the graphical detail of PC games.

All up though, most impressive, and if thats what can be done right now with a phone display then the commercial releases are going to sell a LOT of Samsung phones.

Is there any way to include other 3 axes (x,y,z) with opentrack and smartphone?My Xperia X2 working great with yaw,roll.... but 6 way gyro for zoom and left/right would be great!

I tried a colorcross and my nexus 6 and it worked fine except there was a lot of drift (not returning to centre) and it would flicker back and forth now and then, so I did a bit of googling and have now made a little IR point model clip, done a small mod to a PS3 cam and have a working IR tracker with six axis for about £8.00. As soon as I can get a custom resolution working on my R9 270x I will be sorted.

Cheap Headtracking Solution. Download and install Opentrack and then go by your local Radioshack or electronics store and pick up 3 infrared LEDs (if they aren't wide angle you can file them down), a battery holder for 2 triple A batteries, a soldering iron and some solder, 3 15 OHMS resistors, and some jumper pin wiring you'd use in a computer. Go online and buy a PS3 eye and make sure you have an old floppy or exposed film negative to put an IR filter in it. Then look on the Freetrack website for how to make the tracking clip and for how to modify the PS3 Eye to only see infrared light. I think it ran me around $40 for all of that since I did not own a soldering iron beforehand. Otherwise it would have been about $25 - $30. The PS3 Eye is super cheap on Amazon. Ordering the electronic stuff for the clip online would probably be cheaper but I was impatient and wanted it that day. :D

It was cool for awhile but ate through batteries and the mount for the LEDs was cardboard and got bent eventually as it was hot glued to my headset. Velcro works okay too for keeping it attached to your headset/headphones. Also don't waste your time with Freetrack. The tracking is way too juddery. Opentrack using Advanced Freetrack Protocol for some reason is much smoother than Freetrack itself.

Having gone the headtracking route until I recently got my DK2 I'd have to say that if you can afford the DK2 the headtracking solutions really don't hold a candle to it. The head movements are so much more natural with a DK2 not to mention the depth and scale benefits. The real difference is between looking at a screen of a cockpit while slightly adjusting your head to look different directions and being inside the cockpit looking out the glass. You can even spin around in your chair and look at the back of the cockpit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom