Acquisition of Codemasters by Take-two

What do people think of the acquisition of Codemasters by Take Two.

I personally think it bad to see another British company fall into foreign ownership. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Frontier. Just for once I would love to see a British company grow into a genuine world leader in a industry and not get brought by a foreign firm.

Everything these days boils down to what it is worth to the next man in seems to me. Especially in tech.

AFAIK Codemasters have only made (or just published?) a few racing games for the past couple decades...

It was a nice brand back in the 90's, made of lot of great games for the Commodore Amiga. But like other great studios of the same time, it has since has been slowly fading into oblivion...

Last edited:
Microprose is supposed to be active again and allegedly makes another Task Force game. Usually these revivifications draw on the legendary name and can't really deliver to it - so I just wait and see.

Seems a shame but they been going long enough, must be a reason to sell now, atm it is just a recommendation to the Shareholders to accept the offer, it is up to them at the end of the day....

They only just acquired Slightly Mad Studios (Project Cars series) and have been banging out F1 games each year. Not sure why a company that was in a good enough position to buy out a competitor would then need to sell but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

The F1 series has always been popular (mainly on consoles) and Dirt 2.0 was excellent. I can't think of much else they've done over the past few years of any note though, the re-make of Grid was terrible.

Codemasters get a fair bit of grief from the diehard realistic sim racing crowd, but they make fun games. I quite like F1 2020 and Dirt 2.0 so it'll be a shame if they do sell up.

Hell it was Codemasters who made one of the first games I ever played back on the spectrum. A certain egg with boxing gloves.

Treasure_Island_Dizzy.png

Last edited:
They only just acquired Slightly Mad Studios (Project Cars series) and have been banging out F1 games each year. Not sure why a company that was in a good enough position to buy out a competitor would then need to sell but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

The F1 series has always been popular (mainly on consoles) and Dirt 2.0 was excellent. I can't think of much else they've done over the past few years of any note though, the re-make of Grid was terrible.
Publishers have a bit of a hard time when one of their core biz doesn't work anymore because devs can self-publish digitally more easily. I think the profile has shifted to IP holding, financial service and market connections more than marketing and securing distribution channels. That's what I imagine is going on while digital sales surpass brick and mortar more and more.

I really liked Dirt 2.0. Can't say much about the F1 series, since I didn't get very far with those. Who knew driving an F1 car was difficult :p

My first full time job was at Codemasters.

I was only there a year, but have fond memories of some really talented people including the last of the bedroom/Z80 coders and most of the Sensible-software guys that were still hanging around the vending machines.

Sad to see them bought out, they have weathered many storms over the years.

most of the Sensible-software guys that were still hanging around the vending machines.

Sensible Soccer, and especially Sensible World of Soccer was one of the games I played the most during the 90's... Was actually very good at it, was several times winner of my highschool sensible soccer tournament, and it was very common for my mother to arrive home and being surprised by having >15 different dudes in my room taking turns trying to to beat me in sensible soccer. :D

Was also the last football game I ever played. Never liked Fifa or PES, always felt far too "automated". SInce then my only football games were manager games.

Top Bottom