All terrain paints in all biomes

I really don't see the reasoning behind terrain paints being restricted to a certain biome. In a game like Planet Zoo with so much creative freedom, this is inherently limiting. I want to use grassland grass in taiga, or tropical rock in temperate, or desert sand in tundra. This would make habitats look so much better, without having to be limited to the terrain paints of any one biome. Imagine how cool blending different rock, grass, or dirt textures from different biomes would look.

I really don't see the reasoning behind terrain paints being restricted to a certain biome.
It's a technical limitation inherent to the engine both Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster and Jurassic World Evolution (2) are build on. The engine can only handle 12 terrain texture slots per map, so the terrain paints are limited to specific biomes.

Of course this could be changed, at the end of the day anything can be refactored, but companies are limited in budget. The amount of time and money needed to change such a core aspect of the engine doesn't weigh up against the relatively low impact it has in relation with what the entire community wants, so that's why these things don't change.

I'm not necessarily pro or contra this decision btw, just explaining the reasoning behind it and why it hasn't changed in any of the past updates.

What Iben said. However it IS totally possible to add a terrain paint selector to the main menu in which you can chose which terrain paints you want to use on the map you are creating as we already had that in PC. No idea why it wasn't also added to PZ right away tbh, but then again the same goes for the scenario editor so...

This has been discussed quite a lot and it’s a major, the major in fact, priority for me. The lack of biome choice majorly limits my creativity and ability to build as I wish.

I really think we should at least be able to select our own palate of biome textures if the engine limits the number.

The amount of time and money needed to change such a core aspect of the engine doesn't weigh up against the relatively low impact it has in relation with what the entire community wants, so that's why these things don't change.
I would argue that without large scale market research and surveys we can’t easily define what the entire community does or doesn’t want.

I would argue that without large scale market research and surveys we can’t easily define what the entire community does or doesn’t want.
Should probably have phrased it clearer that I meant that from Frontier's standpoint as at this point it's clear that they don't consider there to be a big enough demand for it, given that they've not changed it for the past 4 games that use this engine. How Frontier came to that conclusion I have no info on, so I can't really make assumptions whether or not they've done community research on it or not.

What Iben said. However it IS totally possible to add a terrain paint selector to the main menu in which you can chose which terrain paints you want to use on the map you are creating as we already had that in PC. No idea why it wasn't also added to PZ right away tbh, but then again the same goes for the scenario editor so...
I recall a post by Chante about it a long while ago, I think it had something to do with the fact that the terrain paints now actually have an ingame meaning whilst that isn't the case with Planet Coaster.

I recall a post by Chante about it a long while ago, I think it had something to do with the fact that the terrain paints now actually have an ingame meaning whilst that isn't the case with Planet Coaster.
Yeah, I mean you do need the grass, soil, sand etc. but that doesn't mean you can't decide which texture you'd like that terrain type to have. Like the temp sand texture would still be sad whether it's used on a tropical map or not etc. That'd still give a lot more options to players without running the risk of someone choosing 10 grass types and ending up with unhappy animals which needs aren't met.

Not if you play in sandbox where foliage and biome needs are irrelevant.

Here is a great example of why we should be able to select our own choice of textures for each map.

942754AC-993E-4AAC-A6E5-7F881F00CA5D.jpeg

As you can see, the grass is green like on the temperate map. But, the location is Valencia in Spain and in Planet Zoo this would be impossible.

Ultimately this is Planet Zoo, not Planet Wilderness so it’s completely unrealistic not to have green grass available as an option in the grassland maps.

Back
Top Bottom