Allow Sensors to play a larger roll (Sensor Resolution)

In the debate concerning different weapon types (Fixed, Gimbaled, Turret) and their effectiveness the statement of "upgrade your sensors" is used erroneously. The premise being that better sensors gives your gimbal and turret based weapons more accuracy. Sadly this premise is not not supported by any fact or testing and really only the developers can tell us the truth (Please chime in Michael if I am wrong).

So the suggestion is: Allow sensors of differing qualities have differing effects on gimbal and turret based weapons.

To do this I offer up a parameter for sensors: Sensor Resolution. The resolution parameter would be the accuracy of your sensors at a given distance. The higher the resolution, the more accurate the data coming from the sensors. And the better that data, the more accurate your weapons can be at range.

NOTE: this is not something that will make your weapons pin point accurate. The goal is to offer a mechanic that allows the player to extend the accurate range of gimbals (1,000m apx) and turrets (500m apx) based on their sensors. So better sensors with a higher resolution will allow weapons to hit things farther away more consistently. While garbage sensors will hinder those weapons reducing their ability to hit.

The purpose of this is to make the statement of "upgrade your sensors" a truth. Resolution could be as simple as a modifier to the weapons listed as a + or - value in meters (+200m/+100m) for gimbals and turrets respectively. It also opens the possibility of large ship sensors that offer a slanted bonus (+150m / +250m) favoring turrets over gimbals giving large ships something more to customize and consider.

As it stands sensors or kind of rubbish in what they offer. And there is really no reason to upgrade them to their max because at some point you reach a limit on how far out you can see ships with sensors. But sensors are traditionally one of the most important things even if they are less than glamorous. So why not plate them in some platinum, encrust them in diamonds, and make them something more than "This one lets me see 5km...but this one I can see 6km...".

Top Bottom