Alternate flight controls with forward/backward thrust

New player here, with a slightly odd setup - I'm primarily playing on a surface book 3 with an xbox one controller. I've been looking for the most comfortable control scheme that will let me dogfight competently in a pinch while also being to circle asteroids and land my ship manually without looking like a complete idiot.

Way back in the day, I may have spent too much time flying x-wings in StarWars Battlefront II for the original xbox, so the most natural control scheme for me is to put roll on the left stick, and pitch/yaw on the right stick. I'm sure there are plenty of veteran players out there who can tell me why this is a terrible idea. I throttle with the triggers (how often do you need to shoot, anyway?) and put forward/backward thrust on the leftover, forward/back axis of the left stick, mostly to make me feel better but also for quick speed adjustments in combat and such.

Of course, without vertical thrust it's hard to land, so the original plan was to set up the alternate flight controls to switch the left stick to vertical/lateral thrust, and keep the right stick the same. That way you can do the distance flying with roll in normal mode, and then switch to alternative when you're all lined up and just need to put down on the pad or circle something. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

In practice, however, this doesn't seem to be very workable. The alternate controls have no setting for forward/backward thrust, so when I put vertical and lateral thrust on the left stick, it seems like the vertical thrust actually gets combined with the forward/backward thrust from the normal controls, making it impossible to put the ship straight down. I had to do the landing training simulation several times to figure this out. It did not go well.

So, why no forward/backward thrust option in the alternate controls? Is this a known thing, or am I just really blind and missed it somehow in the menu? Any suggested workarounds?

I can mostly work around the issue by putting my desired, alternate control scheme in as the alternate landing controls, which also lets me switch me triggers from throttles to forward/backward thrusters. This works well, but of course requires me to put down the gear. I'd rather just have those settings in the alternate controls to begin with, so I can fire up the maneuvering thrusters whenever I like.

It looks like at least one other person has run into this here, but I didn't see any resolution for it.

You could try mapping the desired alternate controls with a modifier. That way you should be able to thrust up and down as long as you hold down the modifying button.
I am not sure if you can do that with an axis, but it's worth a try.

You could try mapping the desired alternate controls with a modifier.

Hmmm, good idea. I think this would work with the Elite controller, since you could do one of a couple of different tricks to turn the paddles into usable modifier keys.

Right now, with just a normal controller, I'm short on buttons. I have to toggle the alternate controls by clicking the left stick, and the stick click isn't really possible to hold down for long periods.

I was thinking about sacrificing one of the triggers as a modifier to give me twice as many other effective controls, but that would mess with the otherwise really convenient trigger throttle.

Deleted member 257907

D
I use LS for roll and vertical thrust RS for yaw and pitch. L3 and R3 for lateral thrust. RT for throttle and LT for reverse thrust. RB and LB for primary and secondary fire.

I would recommend downloading reWASD . It allows you to remap any button on the controller to any other button or keyboard key. Hope this helps.

I agree this is an oversight. The main throttle should be part of the options for alternative flight controls. The whole point of me setting up these alternates is for flying near a planet with flight assist off, and without the ability to reassign the main throttle I can't put vertical thruster on my HOTAS physical throttle. Thus, currently there's no point in me even using the alternative flight controls mappings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom