AMD vs Intel

I'm trying to find an affordable desktop that meets Planet Coaster (minimum) requirements of Intel i5-2300 or AMD FX-4300. Ive been doing a little research, the AMD can overclock but the Intel can't. Is overclocking useful for Planet Coaster? It also lists the i5-2300 at 2.8Ghz where as the AMD FX-4300 3.8Ghz. But ive seen reports showing the i5-2300 outperforming the AMD FX-4300, so I am a bit confused. Will it run smoothly with these CPUs? I want a computer fast enough that I can record my screen without slowing down the computer so I can post on YouTube. Lastly, they say these are the recommended video cards nVidia GTX 560 (2 GB) or AMD Radeon 7850 (2GB). Does it make a difference if the computer i buy doesn't specify the video card in the advertisement? I have no idea what video cards these computers have, its not in the online descriptions. Also, if anyone can recommend the make and model of a desktop where Planet Coaster will run smoothly without putting me in the poor house, thats cool too.

Thanks

Last edited:
If you aren't married to idea of building your own PC-PC box:
I've had great luck with the new M1 Mac Mini.

Worlds of difference from any (mac) before. Super low power consumption, no real options to tinker, but do you really want to tinker or just play the game? I've been playing since Alpha (16,000 hours!) on Bootcamp and native macOS laptops, and this is first time to really, fully get up to speed. Whatever you choose, good luck!

You're best of stating what sort of budget you have and whether you're going to build it yourself or buy "off the shelf"

A good guide is https://www.logicalincrements.com/ and from the sound of it you're looking at the "entry" level.

Secondly unless the Ad states what card you're getting, it's probably just the integrated graphics card, but feel free to post or link to it.

My advice would be to set your budget first and then build to that level. Building is really easy these days and if you use the aforementioned site there will be no issues with compatibility.

If that's really not an option, go to your local computer shop and just ask there - they should be more than happy to build you one to spec, or even upgrade a second hand box etc etc but again be upfront with your budget.

Good luck!

You're best of stating what sort of budget you have and whether you're going to build it yourself or buy "off the shelf"

A good guide is https://www.logicalincrements.com/ and from the sound of it you're looking at the "entry" level.

Secondly unless the Ad states what card you're getting, it's probably just the integrated graphics card, but feel free to post or link to it.

My advice would be to set your budget first and then build to that level. Building is really easy these days and if you use the aforementioned site there will be no issues with compatibility.

If that's really not an option, go to your local computer shop and just ask there - they should be more than happy to build you one to spec, or even upgrade a second hand box etc etc but again be upfront with your budget.

Good luck!
I broke down and bought a new Lenovo i7. The games runs seamlessly smooth now. Thanks for your input!

Top Bottom