General / Off-Topic Anthem Revised roadmap.

Lol. So the vids point is that game goals change over time - someone should tell those who keep dragging up things from 2014 into current conversations - point them at this video & tell them to get real :)

1) I am an idiot.... and managed to post in the wrong section.
2) I think the point he was trying to make went over your head @Factabulous. I know in your eyes Elite Dangerous / FD do no wrong..... but a great many gamers do/did choose to take the games pitch on good faith. I did with ED, and I did with Star Citizen. I will be honest however I have learned my lesson now. Yes maybe I was a fool in looking at the outlined features and expecting them to be honoured , as well as have an honest and open discussion from the devs when the roadmap changes, so sure feel free to ridicule.

I personally still do not think it should be wrong to take the devs at face value, it is a matter of trust. Developers dont have the money to make the game they want so they use game features to encourage people to back on good faith. Legally they are covered for sure if they do not deliver but that does not mean it is right - They at least owe us a developer diary video detailing the features which have been cut and why it happened imo.

back on point...... Anthem has been a disaster, and EA/Bioware are taking a lot of flak.... deservedly so imo.

Just goes to show roadmaps are a waste of time and yet people keep asking for them. Prefer the days when a software company just dropped a product on me designed by them, with their vision and there wasn't a thousand armchair devs moaning every week.

EA took a great RPG maker and forced them to turn out mediocre FPSs. Wonder where it went wrong? I'll be checking out DA4 but I have zero expectations of it.

Just goes to show roadmaps are a waste of time and yet people keep asking for them. Prefer the days when a software company just dropped a product on me designed by them, with their vision and there wasn't a thousand armchair devs moaning every week.

EA took a great RPG maker and forced them to turn out mediocre FPSs. Wonder where it went wrong? I'll be checking out DA4 but I have zero expectations of it.

I agree but here is the thing..... back in the day when a software company dropped a product............ it was finished. IMO devs are trying to have it both ways, on one hand getting their money up front by showing us the game they want to make, whilst at the same time then when they decide it isnt worth making that game because it is too hard and then cutting the scope using the "it was never a promise".

Over all given a choice i would just as happily get rid of all EA (Early Access not electronic Arts) titles and have the likes of steam or uplay or origin or what ever only sell completed titles, and then later on DLCS, paid for at point of release after reviewed........ it would screw over a lot of small indies however. I will from now on vote with my wallet and not do EA/KSer again unless in very specific circumstances which i wont go into now.

(For the record FD are by far not the worst, the game they released is imo pretty good, it is a far cry from what I expected given the launch pitch but maybe 2020 will change things..... but back to OP what EA (Electronic Arts)/Bioware have done with Athem is pretty poor imo).

Last edited:
I am not convinced!
I know, it's hard to believe it was a thing considering it took 99% of the people about a week to forget about it. I think it shows negative power hype can have. If it wasn't hyped as the best thing ever it would be just perceived as totally mediocre, and not a complete failure.

If it wasn't hyped as the best thing ever it would be just perceived as totally mediocre, and not a complete failure.
So you're saying it may have gone better if EA hadn't marketed it? :-D It was meant to be a strictly better Destiny and sold as such. It's like id have to realise anew with every Rage that if you make Borderlands without giving a damn, it's rather obvious.

So you're saying it may have gone better if EA hadn't marketed it? :-D It was meant to be a strictly better Destiny and sold as such. It's like id have to realise anew with every Rage that if you make Borderlands without giving a damn, it's rather obvious.
Well, yes :) I don't really like Destiny much, but I'll be damned if I don't admit that game had hundred times more effort and passion put into it. Anthem felt like the most soulless thing ever, an empty husk of a game that could've been good.

I know, it's hard to believe it was a thing considering it took 99% of the people about a week to forget about it. I think it shows negative power hype can have. If it wasn't hyped as the best thing ever it would be just perceived as totally mediocre, and not a complete failure.
Exactly, if they just dumped the game when it was done(as much as any modern software can be done) instead of the modern practice of baiting audiences then gamers would have taken it at face value. It's hard to believe but games sold before modern hype marketing.

Top Bottom