Any lesser-known mixed-species habitats you'd recommend?

I'm curious if there's any threads here on mixed-species habitats, specifically ones the game doesn't suggest, but technically work. And also ones that might not be supported by the game. For instance, I'm curious if the binturong and sun bear can be placed together in the game, or if I'd need to adjust the settings for them. It's been done in real life:

1663426511755.png

If no threads already exist, we could just use this one. And kinda off-topic but I found this cool handbook that has some interesting habitat ideas:

1663426669748.png

I'm curious if there's any threads here on mixed-species habitats, specifically ones the game doesn't suggest, but technically work. And also ones that might not be supported by the game. For instance, I'm curious if the binturong and sun bear can be placed together in the game, or if I'd need to adjust the settings for them. It's been done in real life:

View attachment 322706

If no threads already exist, we could just use this one. And kinda off-topic but I found this cool handbook that has some interesting habitat ideas:

View attachment 322707
That slideshows was awesome, thanks for sharing

Okapi/Nyala/Bongo works really well for me and I have made these in several zoos
Dall sheep and reindeer, my NA zoo has a national park vibe to it in particular the 2 share the habitat representing Denali National Park (I used to work up there).
A lot of SEA animals work really well together and get bonuses.

Zoo Ostrava has Asian Black Bears mixed together with Langurs. An odd mix but there has not been any problems so far. Unfortunately the Formosan Black Bears attack smaller animals in game, so I was not able to recreate that mixed enclosure:
View attachment 322835
449_1.jpg
Hulman and bear forest is just huge and you can watch it from the different angles.
In front of the entrance you will also find very nice Binturong and Asian small clawed otter mixed exibit.

Two new great exibits we’re made for Gibbons and Chitals and totally new for lion tailed macaques.

The one called Papua is just something I have never seen before.

Hulman and bear forest is just huge and you can watch it from the different angles.
In front of the entrance you will also find very nice Binturong and Asian small clawed otter mixed exibit.

Two new great exibits we’re made for Gibbons and Chitals and totally new for lion tailed macaques.

The one called Papua is just something I have never seen before.
Yes, I am going there next week, to see the newly opened Lion-Tailed Macaque and Gibbon enclosures. Last time I was there during the covid restriction, so the inside pavilions were all closed, so I am looking forward to visit again without restrictions. It is one of my favourite zoos, I was there alot of times when I was a kid, because both of my parents are from Ostrava originally, so it is also their favourite zoo. They also plan to construct new Tiger enclosure, so they can house tigers again after many years.

Wow on those predator and herbivore habitats
Also on small animals with larger animals
I just wonder how stressed the herbivores are and if one day things change and they get attacked
I also have heard that in binturong and Asian small claw otter habitats, the binturongs hang out in the trees and will not come down if an otter is present

I think the slideshow ideas are very interesting. But I feel that some cases go a bit too far when it comes to risk. I'd personally be more inclined to make safe combinations rather than let put the animals in jeopardy and let them figure it out. I understand the animals probably have safe spaces and escapes that they can choose to use, but when you consider that the animals are more than likely part of a breeding program and have a lot of value, it just doesn't feel right to take the risk. I don't mean that bubble wrapping the animals is the way to go... just that a layered environment where the habitats seem joined but aren't is probably what I'd prefer. Especially in predator x prey cases.

I think the slideshow ideas are very interesting. But I feel that some cases go a bit too far when it comes to risk. I'd personally be more inclined to make safe combinations rather than let put the animals in jeopardy and let them figure it out. I understand the animals probably have safe spaces and escapes that they can choose to use, but when you consider that the animals are more than likely part of a breeding program and have a lot of value, it just doesn't feel right to take the risk. I don't mean that bubble wrapping the animals is the way to go... just that a layered environment where the habitats seem joined but aren't is probably what I'd prefer. Especially in predator x prey cases.
That's a fair point. Seri!Pixelbiolegest (A PZ YTber) Put flamingos and giant panda's in the same habitat in franchise mode and they got along fine...

Wow on those predator and herbivore habitats
Also on small animals with larger animals
I just wonder how stressed the herbivores are and if one day things change and they get attacked
I also have heard that in binturong and Asian small claw otter habitats, the binturongs hang out in the trees and will not come down if an otter is present
Yeah, I think cheetahs are the most commonly used predators for mixed habitats because they can’t really kill anything larger than a wildebeest. Even a (GROWN) zebra is generally safe. Greater Vancouver Zoo also has black bears in with the bison and Roosevelt elk, which is a safe bet. I’ve seen zoos with wolves and grizzlies together, but that one seems too risky to me. Also heard of a zoo that had monkeys in with the sloth bears… eventually one got eaten. 😒

Back
Top Bottom