Anything happening on PS Elite?

Hi,

I've hardly touched the game since the death of consoles announcement last year but it still has a place in my heart and I do fire it up from time to time. Most recently I took my carrier out to Colonia at the end of last year and then flew my Phantom for a second visit to Sag A. I left it parked near Explorers' Anchorage for ages.

Yesterday on a whim I fired up EDSM and discovered that there were some Guardian ruins not too far from the Galactic Centre: The Teal Nebula sites https://www.edsm.net/en/system/id/13152667/name/Eorl+Auwsy+SY-Z+d13-3468. Paid these a visit last night - attaching a few pics. Was very cool to see Guardian stuff in front of a sky full of stars.

My plan now is to leisurely make my wake back to the Bubble with my carrier, visiting places of interest.

So, my question is like the title says - is there anything happening on PlayStation or is it a ghost town in the Bubble these days?

My mate told me there was a short lived Thargoid combat CG a while back - has there been anything else like that?

Pretty much the only thing I have left to do in the game is Combat Elite (27% through Deadly) so I guess if nothing else I will grind that in conflict zones or something.

Attachments

• Elite Dangerous_20230706000111.jpg
    Elite Dangerous_20230706000111.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Elite Dangerous_20230705235742.jpg
    Elite Dangerous_20230705235742.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Elite Dangerous_20230705235609.jpg
    Elite Dangerous_20230705235609.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 59

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Glad to see you're still enjoying it mate! It's dead in terms of any new features, but AFAIK the community goals are active on rotation for the achievements on console.

Yeah, FDEV restored them some time ago.
They did from a "certain point of view" though might as well not have the way they have "returned*", but instead I and many others are still trying to enjoy Elite the best we can on consoles and hoping against hope that we get a "next gen" version of Elite, a "restart" of console development and hopefully "live" mode and Odyssey on the "next gen" consoles at least! πŸ˜―πŸ˜€πŸ€˜πŸ€ž .

*The return of CGs to consoles, as much as it is, has been extremely weird and is almost pointless as it is...

They kind of "snuck" back into the game with no official announcement before or since and have only included AX combat CGs with no context or backstory and very strange targets and deadlines since!

They tend to have generally very long deadlines, but very low targets, so normal finish before most people (who even want to take part in Thargoid combat), even know that they're on or have a chance to get to them and take part - people have speculated that the current legacy CGs are being generated very badly by an unchecked bot, and are likely right!

There's a fairly long thread on the CG forum about there return entitled "Legacy CGs?!" or similar where many people were asking, "What's going on?!!", to which one particular community manager commented about their return, saying they believe their return was intentional and said, they'd look into their return and post more about them, but couldn't shed anymore light on them after that!

Anyway, unless or until they're ever back with properly structured, storied, announced CGs of all types with normal realistic targets and end dates, they're not really back, though they should be! πŸ˜―πŸ˜‚πŸ©²πŸ˜€πŸ€˜πŸ€ž .

Here's the particular thread talking about their very strange return:- https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/legacy-cg.615524/ πŸ˜€πŸ€˜ .

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
They did from a "certain point of view" though might as well not have the way they have "returned*", but instead I and many others are still trying to enjoy Elite the best we can on consoles and hoping against hope that we get a "next gen" version of Elite, a "restart" of console development and hopefully "live" mode and Odyssey on the "next gen" consoles at least! πŸ˜―πŸ˜€πŸ€˜πŸ€ž .

*The return of CGs to consoles, as much as it is, has been extremely weird and is almost pointless as it is...

They kind of "snuck" back into the game with no official announcement before or since and have only included AX combat CGs with no context or backstory and very strange targets and deadlines since!

They tend to have generally very long deadlines, but very low targets, so normal finish before most people (who even want to take part in Thargoid combat), even know that they're on or have a chance to get to them and take part - people have speculated that the current legacy CGs are being generated very badly by an unchecked bot, and are likely right!

There's a fairly long thread on the CG forum about there return entitled "Legacy CGs?!" or similar where many people were asking, "What's going on?!!", to which one particular community manager commented about their return, saying they believe their return was intentional and said, they'd look into their return and post more about them, but couldn't shed anymore light on them after that!

Anyway, unless or until they're ever back with properly structured, storied, announced CGs of all types with normal realistic targets and end dates, they're not really back, though they should be! πŸ˜―πŸ˜‚πŸ©²πŸ˜€πŸ€˜πŸ€ž .

Here's the particular thread talking about their very strange return:- https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/legacy-cg.615524/ πŸ˜€πŸ€˜ .
Thanks for clarifying, I was not aware of that.

OK, thanks for the information - I'll have a look at that thread.

I do wish they could give us legacy commanders some decent CGs though - can't be too hard to create an algorithm to generate eg "bring goods or combat bonds to station X and get money or equipment" each week. Obviously not narrative ones like building new stations but generic ones would at least give us something to do.

Yeah, I note Old Duck making a very good point - just recycle old CGs, that would work perfectly!
Indeed that's what we hoped we'd get when the first few "returns", but as their non announcement continued and people started to realise how messed up their targets were, where five people who had been hoarding old AX bonds could finish them in a day or a few hours, their actual malaise became clear, but I wish even ONE developer would take it upon themselves to fix the state they're currently in!

It'd would give "legacy" quite a kick and one it rather needs!

As others have said, CGs are likely "back" to comply with certain possibly legally mandated trophy and achievements unlocks, but seemingly no one checked or most likely cared to check, how well their "return" had been implemented, if they made sense or were fun, so here we are, unless by some miracle that changes! πŸ˜―πŸ˜€πŸ€˜πŸ€ž.

I'm afraid that's what they running with , sort of makes sense with limited resources available to Elite . Oh look a new Thargoid , right we need to get new modules or weapons ??? It will run til commander participation drops and then fdev will fiddle the numbers to make it look as if more are AXing or they will pull out the trump card and Sol gets attacked . Commander participation will shoot through the roof and then it will again gently fall again ??? Where as everyone else gets on with Elites other stuff ...

Based on all the locked posts is there anything happening in either version of Elite? Looks like same old Thargoid war and same old communication. Seems rather boring in the void at the moment.
I have noticed the Elite-specific forums are kinda "empty" these days, especially compared to days past. Of course the PS4 forum has been dead for years now, nothing like it was the first year of the PS4 launch.

I miss the good 'ol days of Stellar Initiatives and things like Distant Worlds, Enigma Expedition, the "Gnosis Incident", and Borann 2. And as controversial as it was, I loved the Salome event, and I didn't even own Elite back then! It's just not the same anymore, hasn't been for awhile.

Top Bottom