Are Engineered SCO FSD Drives Worth the Effort?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
It was some time ago admittedly:

Screenshot_0073.png

I ended up engineering one of mine and like having Shielded FSD. Mostly because I always opt shielded for my fighters, to minimize FSD being taken out, but I did last have my tanky-battle-cutter outfitted with a former 7A (G5, long range), for a whopping 23LY (lol), as I also liked to periodically take it out for nearby exploration. I also did have another 7A (G5, shielded) FSD in storage for it. Rocking the shielded SCO, I am only down about 3LY, versus, the long range, plus I get what seems like a cooler running FSD boost, for a potential duration gain. I might be grasping at straws, seeing as though my Cutter has G4 overcharge. I should have probably been scientific about it and compared the actual seconds of boost times, starting at my lowest idle temp, against the shielded engineered version but it feels longer now (?).

I will add that, at least with the Cutter, the SCO boost sound is very underwhelming and not nearly as gratifying as with the Python MKII

Last edited:
I ended up engineering one of mine and like having Shielded FSD. Mostly because I always opt shielded for my fighters, to minimize FSD being taken out, but I did last have my tanky-battle-cutter outfitted with a former 7A (G5, long range), for a whopping 23LY (lol), as I also liked to periodically take it out for nearby exploration. I also did have another 7A (G5, shielded) FSD in storage for it. Rocking the shielded SCO, I am only down about 3LY, versus, the long range, plus I get what seems like a cooler running FSD boost, for a potential duration gain. I might be grasping at straws, seeing as though my Cutter has G4 overcharge. I should have probably been scientific about it and compared the actual seconds of boost times, starting at my lowest idle temp, against the shielded engineered version but it feels longer now (?).

I will add that, at least with the Cutter, the SCO boost sound is very underwhelming and not nearly as gratifying as with the Python MKII
I haven't tried it on my Cutter yet (it is installed and remotely engineered to G5). I can say that it is useful on my Python MK 1, Anaconda, and Corvette. Very nice for getting clear of a planet, gravity well, etc. However, I have managed to overheat the Anaconda at least 3 times, even when doing the short boosts.

None of them are as fun as using it on the Python MK2, though. It's smooth and easy. That's how it should be since it is a new ship designed to deal with strain of SCO.

Side note, am I the only that immediately thinks of this scen when using an SCO in ships other than the Python MK2, which can only do short boosts before taking damage?

aren't the engineering requirements being simplified soon? So shouldn't we wait until then?
Meanwhile i did a "guide of guides" for engineering material gathering methods, just to have a 2024 update of deprecated, "old but valid" and new ways to quick gather materials.

I verified all and stocked quickly of materials, without need to log/relog, the discovery of systems with alot of permanent HGE and Brain Tree "flaking" + limpets is better time efficient and a bit less boring :)

Hope it will help, at least new players.

edit: hrm. Thinking about CGs- now that we have SCO, how long before FDev set up a CG to deliver to Hutton Orbital (or similarly distant location)?
I vote for Dabih Major D 5 (or D 6). Some kind of transport CG to there in order to build something cool there.

And make the system permit-locked (with a very easily obtainable permit) to stop fleet carriers from being able to enter. No cheating.

I vote for Dabih Major D 5 (or D 6). Some kind of transport CG to there in order to build something cool there.

And make the system permit-locked (with a very easily obtainable permit) to stop fleet carriers from being able to enter. No cheating.
LOL. Dabih Major D would indeed beat Proxima Cen, but FDev would have to set up a station or a megaship there first.

BTW, if we do get a CG to Hutton Orbital again, I imagine Fuel Rats will be very busy 😆

LOL. Dabih Major D would indeed beat Proxima Cen, but FDev would have to set up a station or a megaship there first.

BTW, if we do get a CG to Hutton Orbital again, I imagine Fuel Rats will be very busy 😆
Only after FCs have filled all the slots there.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Presumably those who are of the opinion that those who use Carriers for CGs are in some way "cheating" would also seek to ban the use of SCO FSDs, and also ships with cargo capacities above some arbitrary level - as well as players with more time to play than them?

Top Bottom