Ships AspX Explorer Build, I think I'm finally ready to go on a long expedition

10 jumps every 100? I don't think we are taking the same highway ... If you use Spansh to plot a neutron route with a 65 ly range ship starting at Jameson Memorial you end up with a route that estimates 109 jumps. Adding the occasional refuelling stop adds 20 more jumps at most. Add another couple of short stops for repairing the FSD, you conservatively end up with something like the time equivalent of 140 jumps using the neutron highway. Even if you could jump in a straight line without stopping to refuel, jumping from Jameson to Colonia would take you 339 jumps. Adding that it takes slightly longer to neutron boost than just jump, I would say you shave off about 30-50% of the time by travelling the neutron highway. This is of course also going to depend on your familiarity and proficiency in neutron boosting and plotting your next jump etc.

So I just looked up spansh, I have never seen that before. Thank you for that Orodruin! I was wondering what the hoopla with the neutron boosting was all about, I never found it to really change my travel times all that much. I would just enable jet boost in the galmap, I never knew about spansh. I'll check that out for sure!

So I just looked up spansh, I have never seen that before. Thank you for that Orodruin! I was wondering what the hoopla with the neutron boosting was all about, I never found it to really change my travel times all that much. I would just enable jet boost in the galmap, I never knew about spansh. I'll check that out for sure!
Yeah, just enabling jet boosts in the galaxy map is not going to do much. Particularly if you keep to don't go up or down in the galactic plane.

You might want to collect a few mats to reloads your heat sink just in case you get a little to close to a star while refueling. I know the mats can be collected later but to be safe it is a good idea to have at least a few reloads. I completed Distant Worlds 2 in my Asp Explorer. I thought about taking my longer range Anaconda but in the end the Asp was the correct choice. The Asp has a better view out the cockpit and her turn rate is so much better.

You might want to collect a few mats to reloads your heat sink just in case you get a little to close to a star while refueling. I know the mats can be collected later but to be safe it is a good idea to have at least a few reloads. I completed Distant Worlds 2 in my Asp Explorer. I thought about taking my longer range Anaconda but in the end the Asp was the correct choice. The Asp has a better view out the cockpit and her turn rate is so much better.

Thanks Kort! I did visit a trader before I left and gave some rare mats for a fill up of heat sink mats. I'm good to go and have only had to synth some heatsinks once so far :)

Well I'll be darned. I came across a neutron star and it looks like I am going to be the first discoverer! Ahaha! I shall scan and map everything :D Well, too bad it's in the middle of nowhere. I mean there is just nothing out here.... but a bunch of water worlds, plenty of those, plenty of terraformables. I suppose if mankind wants to make a settlement this way, there are plenty of planets they could make their home on.

Thank you Orodruin! Here is my updated build. I entered in all the exact numbers, but for some reason my jump and shield strength are different in game than on Coriolis. My jump is at 55.66LY current, 60.34LY max jump. Now I just need to get friendly with Mrs. Ryder so she can give me a referral to Etienne Dorn near Colonia. I plan on starting my journey somewhere in The Formidine Rift before beginning to head towards Colonia.

Here is my alternate version of your build. Small changes for getting a sturdier ship. I noticed that with smaller ships, dropping the repair controller and cargo slot and replacing that with 1 heavy duty HRP makes a lot of sense. In this case the changes made doubles the hull, triples the shields, improves normal space handling a lot, hugely improves heat mechanics and adds 9 LY to jump distance while keeping the supercruise assistant. Basically you can make mistakes that would send you to rebuy screen with the other build and still carry on in better shape than you would have been while at 100% shape in the paper plane.
2 alternate builds:
and

If that is not enough, there is headroom for adding 2 more shield boosters and switching the shield to prismatic. https://s.orbis.zone/6kbq and still maintaining 62,4 LY jump range. With that build you can take a hit (with ground, asteroid, weird npc while returning to bubble) that would kill the original-original :) build and only lose 1 ring of shields and you would still have the toughened hull below the shield.

Anyhow, just food for thought.

Last edited:
The build is very good for exploring but I would make some adjustments once all engineers and FSD boosters become available, if you haven’t departed yet for your exploration trip.

Here is one version, using full engineering access plus FSD booster, that will give you enhanced shields and protection, while keeping a good jump range:

You can also use a regular 3A shield generator with reinforced/hi cap engineering to get 418 MJ, if you can’t wait the required 4 weeks while serving Princess Duval.

As I started the Elite Dangerous journey almost a year ago, I have seen video after video of griefers destroying unarmed and lightly shielded explorer vessels, and I also have seen posts about how high ranked NPC’s can also destroy a lightly protected explorer vessel.

it would be extremely frustrating, I think, to lose hundreds of millions on data as well as weeks and months spent exploring, to an NPC or a CMDR in a well equipped combat ship.You can see this for yourself if you have a fully engineered FDL, Corvette, FAS or something similar, and head to a low RES zone. Find yourself a wanted harmless or mostly harmless AspX and attack it. It took just a few seconds to kill, right? I believe that that low rated AspX was unengineered and had the stock base shields and armor. This, fellow explorer, is you in that lightly shielded AspX and just saw what that G5 engineered combat vessel or even a high ranked NPC can do.

Of course, one can avoid being griefed by exploring in solo mode but even there, there is the possibility of being interdicted by a high ranked NPC. Yes, it is possible to win the interdiction minigame against an NPC but just in case, I like to carry equipment that will let me permaboost and give me time to flee.

What makes possible a well defended exploration ship that can still retain a good jumping range is the unlocking of the guardian FSD booster.

Happy travels! Be careful out there. Fly safe.

I already left but then came back. Started getting space madness in the Formidine. That disease is real man. There was nothing out there and I scanned and scanned forever. Everything started looking the same after awhile. I wish I would've seen that thread in the exploration forum before I left because I would have visited the ghost ship. Spent forever there even just looking for O class stars. In the end, I desired more jump range so I came home and built me a bad ass Anaconda. Finally have a use for that pig of a ship.

The build is very good for exploring but I would make some adjustments once all engineers and FSD boosters become available, if you haven’t departed yet for your exploration trip.

As I started the Elite Dangerous journey almost a year ago, I have seen video after video of griefers destroying unarmed and lightly shielded explorer vessels, and I also have seen posts about how high ranked NPC’s can also destroy a lightly protected explorer vessel.

I agree with your rationale there for more defensive ships. I took the liberty to "improve" your design a bit for making a ship that is more durable, has better heat mechanics, is faster, has a better engine capacitor, and jumps farther. https://s.orbis.zone/6rtw

Given the limitations of the Asp Explorers frame it's not a bad build.

One thing I would recommend is switching that 6A fuel scoop for a 6B scoop. You'll be saving 21Mcr (and lowering the rebuy) and only adding 6 seconds to your fill time.

Allow me to respectfully disagree. That fuel scoop cost is a single run from Robigo to Sothis or 5 minutes mining in Borann.
The point being that credits are easy to come by and anything that decreases scoop time is a win in my book
It takes 10 seconds for your FSD to cool down after a jump.

It takes a 6A scoop 5.7 seconds to scoop one jumps worth of fuel. It takes the 6B scoop 6.6 seconds to do the same.

Either way, you'll still only be able to scoop 1 jumps worth of fuel by the time your ready to jump again. Why spend the extra money and have the higher re-buy for no real benefit.

Also, not every commander is rolling in the Mega Credits. Fully kitted out my 57.5Ly Dolphin explorer cost just 16.2Mcr, compare that to the 28Mcr cost of that 6A scoop.

It takes 10 seconds for your FSD to cool down after a jump.

It takes a 6A scoop 5.7 seconds to scoop one jumps worth of fuel. It takes the 6B scoop 6.6 seconds to do the same.

Either way, you'll still only be able to scoop 1 jumps worth of fuel by the time your ready to jump again. Why spend the extra money and have the higher re-buy for no real benefit.

Also, not every commander is rolling in the Mega Credits. Fully kitted out my 57.5Ly Dolphin explorer cost just 16.2Mcr, compare that to the 28Mcr cost of that 6A scoop.
You do not necessarily scoop every jump. Particularly not if travelling by neutron highway. Credits are so easy to come by that unless you are just starting out, a rebuy or an extra 28 Mcr should not really be much of a bother. Even doing R2R it is not difficult or very time consuming to get that amount of credits. I think we have different perceptions of the costs and benefits - or maybe it is just that I am blind to the cost. If there is even the slightest benefit and the cost is zero to you, you still get a cost/benefit ratio of zero no matter how small the benefit.

You can of course do whatever you prefer.

I agree with Orodruin here. At the same time I also remember when I was starting out that fuel scoops were expensive then, but so were power plants etc. Anyhow, when looking at a fully engineered ship, cost savings are really not the first thing that is at the fore front. To any commanders that do not have a lot of money: take your savings where you can and, as baudelier said, you can save some money with the fuel scoop. Having said that, I personally would never do that if I had the money to buy the best scoop that my ship can take. My last trip was around 200k LY or so. I would not want to spend any more time than necessary doing scooping on long trips.

Top Bottom