Automated low-res pirate killing ships - best design?

I have tried various builds for the Cutter and the T10 for an AFK pirate killer (Youtube videos are available on this [at least for the T10] - I won't repeat them here). Both ships work well for this role. Both will, sometimes, encounter more pirates (or more skillful pilots with better ships) than they can cope with. This may be mission related. Accepting a pirate-killing mission where hostiles may be sent against you [quite a common caveat] can result in a ship re-buy being needed (you always keep enough $$$ for an insurance re-buy, right?).

I've "limited" my builds to that which can be easily obtained (from Jameson Memorial) and medium [level 3] engineering (shields, shield boosters, weapons, power plant, power distributor). Burst lasers (engineered as focused weapons) work well, as do beam lasers (engineered for long range). All, of course, have to be turreted versions (fire at will). The need to avoid limited ammunition weapons is obvious if you aren't going to be there to restock.

One of the most influential factors (on survival) seems to be having a fighter bay and deploying your fighter with 'engage at will' instructions. There appears to be quite a difference between 'expert' and the subsequent pilot ranks (on effectiveness). You pay more to retain a pilot than 'hiring on demand'. It seems to be worth it if you generate credits using higher pilot skill levels.

What factor (if any) am I missing that is key to these ships surviving unattended?

well he hasn't covered the odd extreme sport of moon geeza jumping and surviving I don't think
the backing trak should be walking on the moon whilst playing :ROFLMAO: (so youtube tube loop it)
friends score with 0 to ten votes for 3 bounce approach height gained and return death scores 0 points
don't forget to rate your signals clapping indicates a 10 pointing a six saluting a seven handstop a four or was it a five I cant
rem but it was fun min 2 cmdr

Last edited:
"Grind" isn't boring?

Do what you do. Over-and-over again. If that's your thing. :)

Why are you engaging in combat if you think it is a boring grind? It can't be to become Combat Elite as that is supposed to be an indicator of your combat prowess, seems you want to make it a measure of your engineering and ship-build prowess. Oh, no it isn't even that as you are asking others to do that for you.

What is the point of wasting your time (and contributing to global warming via your PC's power consumption) in running a game you don't want to play?

:rolleyes:

Fnord: "Work smarter not harder". I like the combat aspect of the game, but the AFK mechanism isn't related to this. It is about revenue generation while avoiding too much repetition.

Fnord: "Work smarter not harder". I like the combat aspect of the game, but the AFK mechanism isn't related to this. It is about revenue generation while avoiding too much repetition.

I don't believe.gif

Please fit a cargo bay.. hehe
Dunno why Op thinks this ship type is nessesary.
For example you cannot collect the mats dropped.
It's just pointless.
Purely my opinion!

"I don't believe you."

laughter. A valid response. I was hoping for new ideas. For anyone interested, regular (revenue generating) AFK builds can be found by searching YouTube. As Amodin commented (thanks), the T10 seems to be the preferred ship for this.

Top Bottom