General / Off-Topic Backing up

So, interesting story, I got to meet one of my neighbors this week....as she ran into me while I was backing out of my driveway. Nothing big, just a fender bender, but I kinda got screwed because she hit my back right wheel well with her front bumper. She has minor paint damage, my car won't move and my trunk won't close.

So whole purpose of the thread, when the police came and we explained what happened; I was backing out, she didn't see me and she hit me. Policeman tells me it's my fault, only because I was operating the vehicle moving in reverse and, according the traffic laws, regardless of what happened, if one vehicle is moving in reverse, the driver of that vehicle is at fault. Some real bull, if you ask me.

So, interesting story, I got to meet one of my neighbors this week....as she ran into me while I was backing out of my driveway. Nothing big, just a fender bender, but I kinda got screwed because she hit my back right wheel well with her front bumper. She has minor paint damage, my car won't move and my trunk won't close.

So whole purpose of the thread, when the police came and we explained what happened; I was backing out, she didn't see me and she hit me. Policeman tells me it's my fault, only because I was operating the vehicle moving in reverse and, according the traffic laws, regardless of what happened, if one vehicle is moving in reverse, the driver of that vehicle is at fault. Some real bull, if you ask me.
It's not bull, it's quite a reasonable law, imho.
That said - in some countries this is judged as a ratio of how much of the fault is on either side.
But by and large, a backing vehicle is much more unpredictable so it's natural the fault will be on the backing driver. Plus there the thing in the law that says that when you're entering the road from a parking lot, field road, driveway, etc... you have to ALWAYS give way and if you can't see properly, you are obligated by law to find somebody who will help you.

In the U.K. it is technically illegal, to reverse out into a road. Any road. Which is why what was said above. Reverse in and drive out.

If you had driven out, you would have probably, seen to other car. Either way, the other car hitting you in the side; can become. The other driver is seen to be driving with undue care and attention. You could have been a child, steeping off of the curb.

Not a good way to start a relationship, with your neighbour. If I were you, I would be gracious and take the hit.

You have to back up either way.

If you back in, you can see and survey what your backing into. If you back out, your field of view is restricted.

Intelligent drivers always back in or find a spot where they can pull straight ahead when leaving.

The rest, just don't get it...

Top Bottom